The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rick Rypien Passes Away

Darcy Rota

I was completely devastated and heartbroken when I heard the news yesterday. It's just so incredibly sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to Rick's family, friends and teammates. You will be dearly missed, Rick. Rest in Peace. <3

It's true that mental issues can often lie buried until a person finishes puberty. However, it is also possible that each time we cheered on Rypien as he fought, we were unknowingly supporting the root cause of his tortured existence, and resulting death. Physical traumas are often the starting point of mental problems. And there is abundant evidence that concussions change a person's mental state (usually temporarily...but maybe occasionally permanently?).

Wow... truly tragic. I was always a huge fan... two fights Ill never forgot gotta be the Vlabik one first... and the one in 06 or 07 vs Commodore (sp)... that was his first fight that I started liking him.

Rest In Peace Rypien :(

With these rumors that he committed suicide and that he was diagnosed with depression, I kind of wonder the same thing as you. My girlfriend suffers from depression and when she doesn't have it under control with her medication she gets extremely irritable and combative. Anything can send her into a violent rage.

I wonder if Rypien's depression wasn't almost like a form of mental/emotional steroids that got him pumped-up during the games. Were we sending a guy out on the ice every night who was ready to snap? Why was he getting into so many fights? Why didn't he have the self-control to resist attacking that fan in Minnesota? Players on the visiting team get taunted by fans all the time, but most of them would never put their hands on them.

Now that he's dead, and it looks like it was suicide, you have to wonder a little bit why the underlying depression that caused it wasn't more effectively managed, and I have to wonder if his emotional volitility wasn't being exploited to some degree to make him a more intense hockey player. I'm not suggesting that the team knowingly exploited his illness, he could have decided for himself that treating his depression would have made him less intense and therefore a less effective hockey player.

"But so many of them speak later of how scared they were at that moment; how they barely got out of the shower after the game when the thought of the tough guy from tomorrow night's opponent darkened their head space. The toughest part, a fighter once told us, is that guys like Rypien could never let that fear show. That there was no one to talk to about it."

:(

Depression is much more common than is ever acknowleged .. perhaps this tragic event can help all of us welcome those who suffer so badly into our own level of consciousness .. the more we know about depression then the better we can cope with it .. to Hockeyville 88, who shared her own positive reaction to this tragedy ,, thank you for sharing .. from personal experience, often times the greatest hurdles are admitting you need help and then accepting the help offered .. you and your team mates have taken a big step in just accepting her illness .. I really hope something good will come from this, not only for your mate, but also by increased awareness /ss

well said

i think an event like this makes all of us examine our lives and what we are doing to help the people around us. if it makes us hold our loved ones a little closer and if it encourages us to give someone another chance or to do a good deed than Rypien's passing has a silver lining

Do yourself a favor and educate yourself.

How can you come to a logical conclusion when nothing has been reported yet. Yes CTE is purely speculation but we have seen countless professional athletes do things that they wouldn't normally do. The one that comes to mind was the wrestler that killed his whole family and then himself. Upon examination of his brain they found CTE.

My point is that professional sports needs to do more to protect their athletes and CTE is a very serious problem that needs to be addressed.

I am not saying that Rick had this problem. I agree that suicide is selfish. But maybe just maybe there were underlying issues that caused him to do something completely out of character.

Archived