The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rick Rypien Passes Away

Darcy Rota

Dan Murphy's take on Rypien:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/08/16/murphy_ripien/

Rick Rypien was a legendary pugilist who was unable to win the battle with his own demons.

I woke up overseas this morning to the terribly sad news that Rick Rypien had passed. I'm sure much will be written over the next few days about the former Canuck, and written by those who are much more eloquent than myself, but I still felt compelled to pass on my memories of an incredibly tough kid everyone called, "Ryp".

Rypien was already a bit of a legend when he was first called up by the Canucks. And by that I mean within the organization. Sure many in the AHL knew about him, but he was still an unknown quantity as far as NHLers were concerned.

It's said that Rypien, who was mentored by Mike Keane while with the Moose, would go after anyone who even raised an eyebrow at the decorated veteran.

"No big deal," I thought.

Until I met Rick and saw he was under 6' tall and about 175 pounds. Rypien came to the Canucks with the reputation that he would take on all comers. It didn't matter how big or how tough the opponent, Rypien always wanted to prove himself.

As everyone knows, Rypien's years in pro hockey were littered with injuries. But this was not a frail kid. Once he was called up by the Canucks and Alain Vigneault forbid Rypien to fight as he was recovering from a broken hand. On his first shift Rypien crushed an Avs player with a questionable hit on the forcheck and was quickly crowded by Ian Lapperierre. You could see Rypien wanted to follow orders - for about two seconds - and then accepted the offer to what turned out to be a very spirited scrap. Post-game, Laperierre (one of the most honest players to ever play the game) said he appreciated him taking the scrap despite the injury and you could tell he also greatly respected Rypien for it. As for Alain Vigneault, all he could do was shrug his shoulders and say, "that's Ryp."

On the ice, Rick was all about his teammates. He loved to stick up for them. And you'd have to guess that's why the Canucks stood up for him over the last few years when he was trying to overcome his demons. The Canucks loved his work ethic, the way he battled and tirelessly fought to get back into top shape injury after injury.

One year, Rypien showed up at prospects camp even though I'm pretty sure he wasn't required to. Rypien set the pace in the drills and conditioning, setting an example to the younger players in attendance. He would crush the Grouse Grind in 37 minutes while the rest of the prospects were labouring in towards the 50-60 minute mark and then encourage them up. Thus supporting them while also showing them how hard they would need to work in order to get into proper shape.

Rick was a great teammate. Ask anyone. In fact two years back goaltender Josh Harding called Rypien the best captain he ever had (the two played together in Regina). Remember, Harding said this when he had already been in the NHL for a number of years. That is a great compliment.

I'll smile when I think of Rypien. It's tough not to when you look back on some of memorable moments with the Canucks. Like when he took on Hal Gill or Boris Valabik despite the fact he was giving up more than six inches and 50 pounds to each of them. Or when he went toe-to-toe with Cam Janssens last season. Or the memorable three fights he had with Brandon Prust in one game when Prust was a member of the Calgary Flames.

He was a gifted young man with plenty left to give us. And I was sure that he was going to. I kept in touch with Rick since the end of last season, exchanging the odd text here and there. He was excited about the opportunity to play with the Jets. Turning down two-year deals offered by other clubs to ink a one-year deal with Winnipeg. Why? Because he was sure that he was going to prove himself once again and earn a second year by Christmas.

I truly believed that Rick was on the road to recovery. Obviously I don't know the depth of the issues he was dealing with however it seemed like he was coming out of the darkness. More importantly it seemed like he wanted to beat what was ailing him. The Canucks kept what Rick was going through a closely-guarded secret, and for good reason, because they didn't want to force the young man to talk about his issues until he was ready to. And you know what? He was ready. A few months back he contacted me to help write his story. He was finally open to the idea of speaking about his demons. He wanted other people who may be suffering the same illnesses to know they weren't alone. He knew that because of who he was, that his voice would be heard. It is just so sad that he will never get that chance.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Rypien family.

Depression warps a person's thinking, it makes them irrational. Rypien was a young guy, with a lot of money, living a dream of playing in the NHL that he had worked his entire life to acheive. Do you think somebody who's mind was clear and rational would decide to give all of that up and kill themself? He had it all, he had every reason to want to live.

Depression is a real mental illness and the people who have it deserve help and compassion. They don't deserve to be judged and stigmatized. If Rypien killed himself it doesn't make him a coward. It makes him the victim of a disease that claimed his life. He's no more of a coward than if he would have died from cancer or any other disease.

Depression is a real mental illness and the people who have it deserve help and compassion. They don't deserve to be judged and stigmatized. If Rypien killed himself it doesn't make him a coward. It makes him the victim of a disease that claimed his life. He's no more of a coward than if he would have died from cancer or any other disease.

I love these forums, you get minused for having an opinion about a Canucks players and say things against the opinion of others. Yet I have read on these forums how somebody that isn't a Canuck or ex-Canuck that dies, and everybody makes jokes and laughs. there was a poor guy who got decapitated years ago, and I sat through reading, all the comments "you shouldnt lose your head" etc and stupid stuff like that. But my god say thing about a Canuck.

I know first hand about depression, I had a friend in high school that blew their brains out because of depression, and instead of asking for help they took the easy way out of dealing with it. I also had a family memeber that dealt with depression, and they took it head on and won, and they are still alive.

So don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about.

As for somebody that called me out for calling him a coward. and then referenced about all the bigger guys he would fight, he wasn't brave enough to take on the biggest opponent of his life now was he.

<br />Very well said, indeed, Dan. Whatever else is written about Rick Rypien in the future, <b>THIS</b> is what so clearly and adequately sums up RR. A small guy with the heart of a lion and demons that he fought so hard to beat.<br /><br />Perhaps those of you posting crap and garbage about him in this thread, those who are speculating and making jokes at his expense could take a lesson or two. Though the words 'class', 'integrity' and 'respect' are words that very rarely, if ever, can be applied to CDC and a goodly number of its posters, the comments here about one of our 'own', a former Canuck who played with his heart on his sleeve and gave 210% every time he set foot on the ice, make us <b>ALL</b> look like immature morons with absolutely no class. <br /><br />Those of you showing respect, expressing your condolences and sharing your own fight and insights in regards to debillitating depression, I salute you for having respect and empathy for one of our own Canucks. The rest of you should be ashamed, should click the sign out button and go back to your sandboxes and playgrounds as your behavior here is far more suited for playtime there than in a thread discussing the sad death of a former player.<br />

Being someone who has lived through losing a close family member recently to suicide I am not sure how to respond to your post ? I guess everyone has their opinions no matter how misguided they are. What would have been best for The Rypper would have been to still be alive and his family would not have to live through such a senseless act. Let me tell you that taking your life is never the answer. To any person thinking that this is a possible solution to ones problems I sincerely suggest maybe talking to someone about it before that thought becomes a reality in the final seconds of your life that you can never take back.

You seem to know what Rick was going through by your post , for the rest of us please please , let us in on what you think you know. I am not trying to be disrespectful or antagonistic in any way . I just would like to know if any what reasons you would have to justify suicide?

Most people are not justifying suicide here as far as I can read. What people are alluding to is that it is not some coward's way out but rather an illness that often slowly talks people into making a terrible choice. As I stated earlier I have just lost one of my closest friends to suicide, what an awful thing it was for all of his loved ones to read his note and hear him try to justify all of his reasons to us.

But in his mind, he had convinced himself that his reasons made perfect sense; and he was at peace with his decision. So what I am saying is that in many cases it is not a choice made with sound mind. The peace and clarity he felt about his decision was an illusion concocted by a wounded mind. And therefore really the only way it can be stopped once the wheels are set in motion is if we all become better educated to spot the signs of mental illness and depression and then actually take the time to watch our loved ones closer than most of us have.

Justified no, understood, yes.

Most people are not justifying suicide here as far as I can read. What people are alluding to is that it is not some coward's way out but rather an illness that often slowly talks people into making a terrible choice. As I stated earlier I have just lost one of my closest friends to suicide, what an awful thing it was for all of his loved ones to read his note and hear him try to justify all of his reasons to us.

But in his mind, he had convinced himself that his reasons made perfect sense; and he was at peace with his decision. So what I am saying is that in many cases it is not a choice made with sound mind. The peace and clarity he felt about his decision was an illusion concocted by a wounded mind. And therefore really the only way it can be stopped once the wheels are set in motion is if we all become better educated to spot the signs of mental illness and depression and then actually take the time to watch our loved ones closer than most of us have.

Justified no, understood, yes.

Very well said, indeed, Dan. Whatever else is written about Rick Rypien in the future, THIS is what so clearly and adequately sums up RR. A small guy with the heart of a lion and demons that he fought so hard to beat.

Perhaps those of you posting crap and garbage about him in this thread, those who are speculating and making jokes at his expense could take a lesson or two. Though the words 'class', 'integrity' and 'respect' are words that very rarely, if ever, can be applied to CDC and a goodly number of its posters, the comments here about one of our 'own', a former Canuck who played with his heart on his sleeve and gave 210% every time he set foot on the ice, make us ALL look like immature morons with absolutely no class.

Those of you showing respect, expressing your condolences and sharing your own fight and insights in regards to debillitating depression, I salute you for having respect and empathy for one of our own Canucks. The rest of you should be ashamed, should click the sign out button and go back to your sandboxes and playgrounds as your behavior here is far more suited for playtime there than in a thread discussing the sad death of a former Canucks player.

Thanks Bertuzzi Babe. Well put. CDC posters please take note: keep this thread respectful and ensure your posts uphold the level of integrity Rick Rypien deserves.

<br />   I am not saying it isn't a mental illness,  if you read above I posted about Benoits mental illness, yet people still bashed him. (find the thread and read it,  it is saddening the way everybody mocked him, just cause he took two lives with him, that at the time he may not have known what he was doing)<br /><br />   But to compare Rypien who had a choice to put a noose around his neck, gun in his mouth etc,  to somebody who has a terminal disease and that has no choice to live or die.  Depression isn't terminal,  he still had a choice to live or die, and made his choice.<br />

As a volunteer for the 1-800-SUICIDE line in vancouver, I have interacted numerous times with people who are suicidal over the phone. I do not see the act of suicide as selfish, but rather people who choose to commit suicide 100% believe that it is the only thing that they can do. They feel so helpless and trapped in their life that suicide is the only option for them.

I waited a day to comment on Rypien's passing. I wanted to make sure it was exactly right, and not merely a 'RIP'.

When we look at someone like Rypien, who gets paid to play a game that we play for free, we assume his good fortune extends to all areas of his life. We assume he is happy, maybe married with a great wife and kids, or single and enjoying his freedom. We assume that he has no financial stresses, that he can buy whatever he wants, do what he wants, live where he wants, and that this all adds up to some kind of utopian happiness. But based on reports, and they seem really credible, he suffered from depression for years, and this resulted in him taking his own life the other day. How could that be?

If this is true, that he suffered from depression and that in a state of depression he committed suicide, this should be viewed as a man who died as a direct result of an illness, and not from some sort of weakness or lack of character. I don't think anyone here can challenge his toughness - just look athis size and his role. Depression is not just 'really sad'. It isn't just a doctor's way of saying you're going through a tough patch. In fact, one of the hallmarks of depression is that it is present for NO apparent reason - everything seems fine, you SHOULD be happy, but you are miserable.

It appears as if he did everything he could. He took lengthy absences from his job to focus his efforts on healing and he accepted a job in the city in which he experienced excellent results in his recovery (Winnipeg). In the end, despite his best efforts, he couldn't hold on any longer and succumbed to the illness, just many others who suffer from serious illnesses succumb every day.

I consider Rick Rypien to have been an incredibly strong, driven, and gifted person who sadly died from depression.

Let. Me. Type. This. Slowly. So. You. Can. Understand............

People here have tried to explain to you that a person in deep depression has convinced themself that this IS the only choice for them. It is the nature of this disease. What part of that do you not understand? They are incapable of making the choice to seek help at that point. Do a little research, will you. Then you won't be making yourself look more and more foolish each time you post.

Archived