The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rick Rypien Passes Away

Darcy Rota

This really effects me personally, mainly because I too have been battling depression, since Junior High even...

I just hope I don't get to the point were I actually do commit suicide, rather than just fantasize about it...

Rest in Peace Rick Rypien...

You were one of the best at what you did :)

This pictured really made me upset.

2yzfrjp.jpg

And for all those bashing Rick -- You should be ashamed of yourselves. He did, imo, the hardest job on the team. For your team. It's not his fault he suffered from depression, he wanted out but unfortunately he couldn't slay the demon.

if its any consolation atleast now he can be reunited with his girlfriend in the afterlife. not sure if most of you know but i heard on snet that when rick played juniors in regina, his girlfriend at the time drove to one of his games and was killed in an accident. this most likely had a significant impact on his well being. i am still distraught at this whole situation and all i can say is that if any of you are suffering from depression, please dont bury that burden within in you, discuss it with friend or even call an anonymous hotline if you're uncomfortable, people do care believe it or not.

thanx.

I haven't been on this board for a while, but I saw this topic for Rypien and all I can say is I am ashamed by the fans on here, I can't believe the first 3 pages is all people bit<hing about where's the source? It didn't happen if there's no source, oh and then someone writes I can't believe you were the first to make this topic to be recognized or something like that and get's 30 thumbs up for that. Seriously you people on here are embarrassing, someone's going to come on this site and look at this page and read all these gay posts about it's not true without a source, like come on grow up, all you do is sit on a computer and wait for someone to do all the work for you, this is the main reason why I don't really come on here anymore because of the stupids who post crap after someone writes something, anyways.

Rypien REST IN PEACE, POUND FOR POUND BEST FIGHTER EVER, and you will always be remembered, Thank You for your time here.

Here is a story from today's Regina Leader Post with Rypien's billets from his days as a Regina Pat.

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Rick+Rypien+fondly+remembered+Regina+billets/5263928/story.html

I also posted yesterday a story from Rod Pedersen's (former Pats play-by-play guy) blog about his memories of Rypien, which can be found here.

http://rodpedersen.blogspot.com/2011/08/tuesday-morning-goalie.html

Sorry for all the links/stories, just thought it would be of interest to some the coverage and support Rypien is getting out here as well. This says all you ever need to know about the guy. Remember, he would've only been a teenager when he wrote this letter to the Leader Post after he finished his junior career here.

Rypien, Rick. Leader Post [Regina, Sask] 21 Mar 2005:

Since the beginning, it has been a privilege for me to be a part of both Regina and the Regina Pats Hockey Club. As such, I would like to thank those people who have been a part of my life while playing for the Pats.

I would first like to thank (scouts) Todd Ripplinger and Frank Dryka for believing in me and helping me become a Regina Pat. I would also like to thank (owner) Russ and (general manager) Brent Parker for giving me the honour of being a Regina Pat for three years.

I would like to thank my coaches and all the players I have worked with in the past three years. I have found great friendships that I will take with me as I leave Regina. I have nothing but respect for everyone I have worked or played with, and what they have taught me both on and off the ice.

Although our season was a disappointing one, there is a great group in this organization, and along with two of the best coaches, Curtis Hunt and Mike Blaisdell, I know this team is headed in the right direction and will strive for success in the future.

I would like to place a special thanks to my billets for the past three years, the Engelhardts. Without you, playing hockey in a new city would have been a tough road.

Finally, I want to thank the dedicated group of people who make it all possible -- the fans. Thank you for your support and for standing behind the Regina Pats through the good and not-so-good times. I will never forget the feeling that you have given me as a player -- it's unbelievable.

I will always be a Regina Pat and if it were possible I'd play here forever. No matter where I end up in the future, Regina will always be a second home to me and I plan to return as often as I can. So, once again, a big thank you to the Pats organization, the players, billets, fans and the City of Regina.

As a last note, I would like to say that even though this past year has been a struggle and we did not make the playoffs, this year was one of the most memorable. I was very grateful to complete my WHL career as a Regina Pat. The players and coaches, Huntsy and Blazer, have taught me so much and have treated me with nothing but respect. I will always walk with my head held high and be proud that I am a Regina Pat. I contributed the best that I could and hopefully gave the organization something they can hold on to and be proud of. Best of luck in the future to all of the players (my friends). You'll all be sadly missed.

Your friend,

Rick Rypien

(Copyright The Leader-Post (Regina) 2005)

I dont see suicide as a way out, but for Ryp he's gone through a lot and he's in a better place now. His girlfriend died on the way to his hockey game years ago I think that was one of the biggest impacts on him, he now gets to see her and also his friend Luc.

LETHBRIDGE HERALD - WITH CP FILES

Thousands are expected to pack a Blairmore arena this weekend in memory of Winnipeg Jets forward Rick Rypien.

Rypien's family in Coleman has arranged for a public funeral service set for this Saturday at noon in Crowsnest Pass where Rypien grew up and still made his home.

The service, organized by Fantin's Funeral Chapel, will be held at the Albert Stella Memorial Arena.

Rypien's family didn't know how many of the 27-year-old's NHL colleagues and friends would be attending, but they expected a full house.

Not sure how to link this article...

I still can't believe Rick Rypien is gone. Everytime I think about him or read anything about his passing, I start crying and can't stop. It's extremely difficult to process that he's gone. From the outside it looked like he had it all and was working towards happiness and getting back to playing the game that he loved...Returning to Manitoba seemed so fitting after having spent so much time there with the Moose. He had this incredibly tough guy exterior, but he really was a sweet, caring person who had a tremendous fight in him.

I only met him once, earlier this past season at the Raise a Reader event. I was apprehensive about approaching him initially. I didn't want to see like a bother or anything (even though it was a community event) but his smile and a few kinds words were all it took for his warm personality to shine through. He was easy to talk to, and made me smile...he may have been small in stature, but he had a huge heart, and a strong passion for the game. It's sad to see him go. I can't imagine all the pain he was going through the last few seasons especially (even though it's been said he'd been battling emotional problems since losing his girlfriend in a car accident while in juinor). I'll never forget his fight. He will be missed. I wish he'd been able to see what else the world had to offer...My heart goes out to him and his family. I hope he's at peace now.

I'll post up the message I posted at his memorial at Rogers Arena yesterday:

"To Live in hearts we leave behind, is not to die" - Thomas Campbell

Rick,

Thank you for everything you brought to the Canucks organization. Your heart, soul, grit and love. You were a TRUE warrior and will be missed.

FOREVER A CANUCK #37! R.I.P. Rick Rypien.

Vancouver'll love you forever

Archived