The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rick Rypien Passes Away

Darcy Rota

Check the province its breaking news as we speak.

never the less rip to not the best hockey player but he had the effort and the best spirit. Lit up the fans when ever he stepped onto the ice.

its not about the size of the dog in the fight. its the size of the fight in the dog.

RIP Rick Rypien and condolences to his family

Check the province its breaking news as we speak.

never the less rip to not the best hockey player but he had the effort and the best spirit. Lit up the fans when ever he stepped onto the ice.

its not about the size of the dog in the fight. its the size of the fight in the dog.

RIP Rick Rypien and condolences to his family

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/jets-forward-rypien-found-dead/article2130621/

I guess it's offical

Former Vancouver Canucks tough guy Rick Rypien was found dead by a family member on Monday in Crowsnest Pass, Alta.

Rypien, who signed with the Winnipeg Jets in July, had missed most of last season because of a leave of absence from the Canucks for personal issues.

Local RCMP told The Globe and Mail on Monday night that the death was not suspicious.

Undrafted after three years with the Regina Pats, Rypien became a popular member of the Canucks’ fourth line beginning in 2005, racking up 226 penalty minutes in 119 games played over six seasons.

Off the ice, however, he battled depression, and his leave of absence last November was the second he took as a member of the team in the past three seasons.

Rypien was well known in Winnipeg after beginning his pro career there with the Manitoba Moose, the Canucks’ AHL affiliate, and the Jets gave him a chance to re-establish his career there when he was signed a one-year, $700,000 (U.S.) contract as a free agent this summer.

“Everyone that knows me, knows that everything that was happening didn’t reflect me as a person and it’s not like I was doing anything wrong,” Rypien told the Winnipeg Free Press at the time. “I went through a couple of things I had to deal with, I got over it – it took longer than I wanted.

“But just the interest people had in me and the belief people had in me … it means a lot to me. It makes me believe even more in myself. They see something in me as a person that maybe sometimes you don’t see yourself. They point that out and then you believe in yourself more and then hope you reach the potential they see and you see in yourself.”

Rypien, 27, is the second young NHL tough guy to die in the off-season. New York Rangers enforcer Derek Boogaard was found dead in May with a mixture of alcohol and oxycodone in his system.

Just terrible news considering it looked like he was getting his life back in order and was feeling healthy mentally and physically.

He was on the come back trail looking for a fresh start and new opportunity with the Jets. It's very sad that he couldn't get over his demons. :(

That's two NHL tough guys now who have passed away now in the same year. Boogard and Rypien were two of the best fighters in the game.

I'm afraid that this has to with mental issues. R.I.P

Archived