The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rick Rypien Passes Away

Darcy Rota

My condolences go out to Canuck fans right now. What a tough SOB he was.....never wanted to see him on the ice against the Wolves. Went through this when Dan Snyder...hard to think about a guy that you talked to etc dying at such a young age....it never really is easy, but as time goes on you smile at a little memory.....you chuckle at a look or smile.....you remember all the good feelings and times he entertained you.It never gets easier....just managable. Again condolences to you all from Wolves fans.

thats horrible but now we know why he was off for personal reasons :(

people allways underestimate psycholic problems, depressions etc. (i guess he had)

same happend to the german football keeper robert enke around 2 years

i really liked rick, his fights...he was the tough guy that the team needed..well probably a little bit to tough

rest in peace ripper :(

Of course they will have a night in his honor (at the very least), he was a part of the Canucks organization for 6 seasons. Not to mention a fan favorite for most of those. For the third time, Rest in Peace Rick. I still can't get over this, too soon and too young. Gonna miss you Ripper.

Another sad day in the hockey world and the Canucks :( Mental illness is a terrible thing that we will never fully understand... Apparently there is a celebration of his life at Rogers Arena on Wednesday at 2. Everyone shud be there to sign the condolances book for his family/friends.

RIP Ryp, at least ur not in pain anymore bro :'(

Holy crap, this was so unexpected..

Rypien was really starting to get his life back on track and I thought he'd make most of it on the Jets.

Here's to you Rypien, I enjoyed watching your fights and determination on the ice. Rest in Peace Rick Rypien. Have fun up there with Bourdon and put in a good word to the hockey gods about us.

RIP Rypien.

Sad to admit that i thought his apparent off-ice issues were a method of cap circumvention. But when two seasons of it went on, you had to throw that theory away.

The Canucks did all they could to support the young man. Perhaps if he was still under their wing, he'd have a better chance of recovery. Needless and pointless speculation.

Depression is a serious issue that has likely affected us all. But it is treatable.

Be that as it may, suicide is THE most selfish act you can do and it will ultimately be judged as such.

My thoughts and well wishes go to his family and friends and the rest of us who will miss him.

RIP Rick.

Archived