Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 8 votes

Rick Rypien Passes Away

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
553 replies to this topic

#511 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:13 PM

Anybody that can make it to the celebration tomorrow, PLEASE do.

#512 sockeye

sockeye

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:39 PM

Very sad to hear about Ryp. As said by others, I think he was the toughest Canuck to lace up the skates. He could compete with the biggest, toughest bad asses in the league. I was sorry to see him move to another organization. He'll always be a Canuck in my mind. The dragon that is mental illness claims another victim. Rest in Peace Ryp.
A Canucks fan since 1968 (before the NHL)

#513 Jagged_Ice

Jagged_Ice

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:04 PM

Has it ever been confirmed that the cause of death was suicide?

#514 Kassian

Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:08 PM

Has it ever been confirmed that the cause of death was suicide?

No but it was ruled 'Not suspicious" and some people are saying he hung himself.

Posted Image

#515 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:09 PM

Rest in Peace Rick. Say Hi to Luc for Canuck Nation.

#516 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:49 PM

You call someones views misguided simply because they guy you replied to was stating the point that people saying it was selfish etc, didn't know what he was going through. No offence bud, you seem to be the misguided one. Read my previous reply to someone who actually had a wider view of thinking. You do not know what people with depression have been through. I do not either. BUT. I can accept (because I have knowledge on the subject!) that peoples minds completely transform when they become depressed. It almost overrides the person.

Before you jump the gun saying it's 'such a senseless act' maybe you should do some digging into how much this illness affects people. Let alone younger people.

Off topic, not that I give a damn about this ranking system but I'm very surprised you had a plus for it.

Open your eyes and get different views on a subject before jumping the gun.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black ?

Ok bro I have no Idea where you are coming from but I know full well what depression or mental illness can do. I have not jumped any gun at all ? WTF are you talking about ? Suicide is a senseless act to the survivors of it . Understanding the act is one thing , accepting it is a whole other ball of wax my friend. If Rypper took his own life ask yourself ...Was he of sound mind and body ? If not ? Was it a senseless act ? Yes . Do I think he was a coward ? Absolutely not ! As a recent survivor of a family members suicide I know full well what depression can do . It can hide until the very last minute and snuff out life in the blink of an eye.

So before you go running your mouth maybe should drop the tough guy act and accept that many people are touched by tragedies like these everyday regardless of the circumstance .

Edited by vanfan73, 17 August 2011 - 12:07 AM.

No1813_comets2_rr.jpgDec2814_jake_rr.jpg

As far as I am concerned, Juice is just "On loan" to the Ducks

#517 samurai

samurai

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:54 PM

Sad to see someone pass away in this manner. From what had been reported the past few years people were involved trying to help him so one has to really feel bad for them as well. For the nuck nation a pretty big shock and sad loss. I really enjoyed watching the Ripper and was looking forward to seeing him suit up with the Jets. Knew his days in Van were finished but was extremely happy to see that he was in demand. Hands down my favorite tough guy of the last 5 years.

#518 BM24

BM24

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,557 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:57 PM

Careful, people will minus you for that because they wont like it even though it's the truth.

Stop being such a crybaby because I've won several arguments against you and because the majority of this board thinks you're trolling, which in fact, you are. I've battled the occasional idiot here and there on Facebook showing disrespect and destroyed them. I show plenty of respect and there wasn't anything disrespectful about that comment.

Ok..

1. I don't even remember talking to you.
2. Apparently I'm 'trolling' because I have a username of a player I've like since his CHL days...
3. I guess winning a Facebook argument means you have the biggest hockey knowledge of them all...because Facebook is crawling with great hockey minds...
4. Whatever you say sir. You've won a Facebook hockey argument, I bow to you. :huh:

#519 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:01 AM

Some people say that suicide is selfish when that statement is the definition of selfish because those people are thinking about how it affects themselves, not about the individual driven to it.

It's terribly hard to understand for the rest of us who are left, but how must it have affected that person in order to go through with it?

I think about this everyday and wonder how strong some one has to be to take their own life if they are clear of mind ? Or how confused some is inside during those moments before making that ultimate decision ?

Edited by vanfan73, 17 August 2011 - 12:02 AM.

#520 Dildo Faggins

Dildo Faggins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:52 AM

I call bollocks.

Bollocks eh? Boy did you call that one right. What a genius you are, a very shrewd man indeed.

#521 BCCaper

BCCaper

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:59 AM

such a tragedy. for all he has gone through in his personal struggles, i hope he is finally at peace. RIP Rick

#522 Jagged_Ice

Jagged_Ice

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:11 AM

Rest in Peace Rick. Say Hi to Luc for Canuck Nation.

Do you really think they are in the sky talking to eachother?

#523 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:16 AM

This really effects me personally, mainly because I too have been battling depression, since Junior High even...

I just hope I don't get to the point were I actually do commit suicide, rather than just fantasize about it...

Rest in Peace Rick Rypien...

You were one of the best at what you did :)

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#524 Kassian

Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:52 AM

This pictured really made me upset.
Posted Image

And for all those bashing Rick -- You should be ashamed of yourselves. He did, imo, the hardest job on the team. For your team. It's not his fault he suffered from depression, he wanted out but unfortunately he couldn't slay the demon.

Posted Image

#525 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:27 AM

if its any consolation atleast now he can be reunited with his girlfriend in the afterlife. not sure if most of you know but i heard on snet that when rick played juniors in regina, his girlfriend at the time drove to one of his games and was killed in an accident. this most likely had a significant impact on his well being. i am still distraught at this whole situation and all i can say is that if any of you are suffering from depression, please dont bury that burden within in you, discuss it with friend or even call an anonymous hotline if you're uncomfortable, people do care believe it or not.

thanx.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#526 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:57 AM

I haven't been on this board for a while, but I saw this topic for Rypien and all I can say is I am ashamed by the fans on here, I can't believe the first 3 pages is all people bit<hing about where's the source? It didn't happen if there's no source, oh and then someone writes I can't believe you were the first to make this topic to be recognized or something like that and get's 30 thumbs up for that. Seriously you people on here are embarrassing, someone's going to come on this site and look at this page and read all these gay posts about it's not true without a source, like come on grow up, all you do is sit on a computer and wait for someone to do all the work for you, this is the main reason why I don't really come on here anymore because of the stupids who post crap after someone writes something, anyways.

Rypien REST IN PEACE, POUND FOR POUND BEST FIGHTER EVER, and you will always be remembered, Thank You for your time here.

Edited by Cup4Canucks16, 17 August 2011 - 06:58 AM.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

"You don't know this, but Trevor Linden had cracked ribs and torn rib cartilage for the last four games of the 1994 Stanley Cup Final," Cliff Ronning said. "You can't imagine what it's like to hear your captain, in a room down the hall, screaming at the top of his lungs as they injected the needle into his rib cage. Knowing him, he probably thought we couldn't hear. He would then walk into our dressing room like nothing had happened. That was inspirational."

#527 #2 Ohlund

#2 Ohlund

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:36 AM

Here is a story from today's Regina Leader Post with Rypien's billets from his days as a Regina Pat.

http://www.leaderpos...3928/story.html

I also posted yesterday a story from Rod Pedersen's (former Pats play-by-play guy) blog about his memories of Rypien, which can be found here.

http://rodpedersen.b...ing-goalie.html

#528 #2 Ohlund

#2 Ohlund

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:50 AM

Sorry for all the links/stories, just thought it would be of interest to some the coverage and support Rypien is getting out here as well. This says all you ever need to know about the guy. Remember, he would've only been a teenager when he wrote this letter to the Leader Post after he finished his junior career here.

Rypien, Rick. Leader Post [Regina, Sask] 21 Mar 2005:
Since the beginning, it has been a privilege for me to be a part of both Regina and the Regina Pats Hockey Club. As such, I would like to thank those people who have been a part of my life while playing for the Pats.

I would first like to thank (scouts) Todd Ripplinger and Frank Dryka for believing in me and helping me become a Regina Pat. I would also like to thank (owner) Russ and (general manager) Brent Parker for giving me the honour of being a Regina Pat for three years.

I would like to thank my coaches and all the players I have worked with in the past three years. I have found great friendships that I will take with me as I leave Regina. I have nothing but respect for everyone I have worked or played with, and what they have taught me both on and off the ice.

Although our season was a disappointing one, there is a great group in this organization, and along with two of the best coaches, Curtis Hunt and Mike Blaisdell, I know this team is headed in the right direction and will strive for success in the future.

I would like to place a special thanks to my billets for the past three years, the Engelhardts. Without you, playing hockey in a new city would have been a tough road.

Finally, I want to thank the dedicated group of people who make it all possible -- the fans. Thank you for your support and for standing behind the Regina Pats through the good and not-so-good times. I will never forget the feeling that you have given me as a player -- it's unbelievable.

I will always be a Regina Pat and if it were possible I'd play here forever. No matter where I end up in the future, Regina will always be a second home to me and I plan to return as often as I can. So, once again, a big thank you to the Pats organization, the players, billets, fans and the City of Regina.

As a last note, I would like to say that even though this past year has been a struggle and we did not make the playoffs, this year was one of the most memorable. I was very grateful to complete my WHL career as a Regina Pat. The players and coaches, Huntsy and Blazer, have taught me so much and have treated me with nothing but respect. I will always walk with my head held high and be proud that I am a Regina Pat. I contributed the best that I could and hopefully gave the organization something they can hold on to and be proud of. Best of luck in the future to all of the players (my friends). You'll all be sadly missed.

Your friend,
Rick Rypien
(Copyright The Leader-Post (Regina) 2005)

#529 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,836 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:44 PM

R.I.P. one fight i'll definately remember was the one against Clune
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#530 CANUCKLELION

CANUCKLELION

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,078 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:17 PM

My link

Toronto%20Stars%20Rypien%20gaffe%20was%20unfortunate,%20but%20Canucks%20should%20just%20let%20it%20go%20%20Pass%20it%20to%20Bulis:%20Posted%20by%20Harrison%20Mooney%20→ %20August%2017,%202011%20|%209%20Comments%20
Here is a story from today's Regina Leader Post with Rypien's billets from his days as a Regina Pat.

http://www.leaderpos...3928/story.html

I also posted yesterday a story from Rod Pedersen's (former Pats play-by-play guy) blog about his memories of Rypien, which can be found here.

http://rodpedersen.b...ing-goalie.html

Here is a story from the Sun re the Toronto media with a mis quote from Gillis re Ryp.

Toronto Stars Rypien gaffe was unfortunate, but Canucks should just let it go
Pass it to Bulis: Posted by Harrison Mooney
August 17, 2011 | 9 Comments

http://vansunsportsb...just-let-it-go/

R.I.P, Rick Rypien Posted ImagePosted Image

#531 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:19 PM

i took a picture of this at the memorial today, props to whoever wrote it, its beautiful...Posted Image

Edited by мцт вяздк чф, 17 August 2011 - 04:20 PM.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#532 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,117 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:07 PM

i took a picture of this at the memorial today, props to whoever wrote it, its beautiful...

Whoever wrote that did an amazing job.

FxfBlgI.png

#533 Doll

Doll

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:12 PM

If anyone else is going through depression, I can't express enough that you seek help.

RIP Rick Rypien. . you wont be forgotten.

Posted Image

#534 stonecoldstevebernier

stonecoldstevebernier

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:31 PM

I made a Photoshop of Rick and Luc today; I'm not great with the program but I felt inspired to do something seeing as I didn't attend the memorial at Rogers Arena.

Posted Image

#535 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:43 AM

i took a picture of this at the memorial today, props to whoever wrote it, its beautiful...Posted Image

This is 100% where these guys are , lovin' every minute of it :)

#536 Rick Rypien

Rick Rypien

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:45 AM

RIP. Forever a Canuck.
Posted Image

#537 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:52 AM

What a tragic story. Kudos to everyone who helped with the memorial.

RIP rypper.

#538 ladii.canucklehead

ladii.canucklehead

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:52 AM

I saw that yesterday as well, and I was almost in tears because it was so beautiful. Whoever wrote this, you're amazing.

RIP Luc Bourdon//Rick Rypien//Pavol Demitra

Once a Canuck, always a Canuck #28 #37 #38

GO CANUCKS GO!

#539 Danimal

Danimal

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:56 AM

I dont see suicide as a way out, but for Ryp he's gone through a lot and he's in a better place now. His girlfriend died on the way to his hockey game years ago I think that was one of the biggest impacts on him, he now gets to see her and also his friend Luc.
Sig too big dude.

#540 bohunter

bohunter

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:50 PM

LETHBRIDGE HERALD - WITH CP FILES

Thousands are expected to pack a Blairmore arena this weekend in memory of Winnipeg Jets forward Rick Rypien.
Rypien's family in Coleman has arranged for a public funeral service set for this Saturday at noon in Crowsnest Pass where Rypien grew up and still made his home.
The service, organized by Fantin's Funeral Chapel, will be held at the Albert Stella Memorial Arena.
Rypien's family didn't know how many of the 27-year-old's NHL colleagues and friends would be attending, but they expected a full house.

Not sure how to link this article...
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.