The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rick Rypien Passes Away

Darcy Rota

Sad to admit that i thought his apparent off-ice issues were a method of cap circumvention. But when two seasons of it went on, you had to throw that theory away.

The Canucks did all they could to support the young man. Perhaps if he was still under their wing, he'd have a better chance of recovery. Needless and pointless speculation.

Depression is a serious issue that has likely affected us all. But it is treatable.

Be that as it may, suicide is THE most selfish act you can do and it will ultimately be judged as such.

My thoughts and well wishes go to his family and friends and the rest of us who will miss him.

RIP Rick.

First and foremost i wish Rick's family and friends all best

Secondly for those of you who suggest Ricks actions of possible suicide are completely selfish may be wrong and may be right but its not for me or you to judge....coming from someone who lost a wonderful cousin to the same sort of tragedy not too long i ago i heard people suggest that my cousin was selfish for what he did....they may be wrong or right but i guarantee it was the only selfish thing he had done his entire life...He was a good man.A man that is loved and a man who will be missed......Rest in Peace to my cousin,Rick and any others who have fallen to the victim of depression

Sad to admit that i thought his apparent off-ice issues were a method of cap circumvention. But when two seasons of it went on, you had to throw that theory away.

The Canucks did all they could to support the young man. Perhaps if he was still under their wing, he'd have a better chance of recovery. Needless and pointless speculation.

Depression is a serious issue that has likely affected us all. But it is treatable.

Be that as it may, suicide is THE most selfish act you can do and it will ultimately be judged as such.

My thoughts and well wishes go to his family and friends and the rest of us who will miss him.

RIP Rick.

Thanks Dr. Guy... or Girl... whatever. Not everyone can be helped, and it's a horrible thing, as is any major illness. Would you call the death of someone with say... cancer or AIDS a selfish act? I doubt it. Mental illness is just as serious. I suppose the results of mental illnesses tend to be much less predictable, and much more difficult to understand from a medical point of view, because most research is in its infancy. And even decades of diligent research and case studies may not result in any solutions.

Some people are lucky enough to respond well to treatment. Others may just get past the mental illness over time (not incredibly rare, but usually between one's teens and 20s, once the brain has sorted itself out) with no treatment at all. But that's just SOME. Certainly a person suffering isn't to blame and shouldn't be labelled as "selfish" when things go awry to the point where they can't deal with it anymore. And if you look at what we as fans know of Rypien... well.. I'm suspect that he tried harder to hang in longer than most of us could've in the same situation. And we don't even KNOW his situation, because there's no way to measure it. His death is absolutely heartbreaking. But blaming it on him, and calling him selfish is just ignorant in my opinion.

So sad to see, this Canucks core has went through so much.. Rypien was always one of the 4th liners that I liked, He fought anyone without fear and was something like 20-7-2 in fights.. Its just too bad that he could'nt conquer is demons.

And to ANYONE who says Depression with resulting Suicide is "Selfish" is a fracken moron, This is a disease where people cant cope with what they 're feeling and cant find a way out. Take the feeling of sadness we have right now times it by 100 and have that everyday. People need to get more educated on it, and I would like to believe that his role as an enforcer played apart as well. I think the existence of fighting in the game will be extinct soon.

Selfish? Hardly. Rick tried to battle through his tough times for 2 years that we know, and I wouldn't think it's far off from saying it's a lot more. He wasn't able to deal with it, so why suffer? Why would he suffer from day to day, minutes to minute just so people don't call him 'selfish'?

You know, I've seen you post around here, and all you seem to do is go against the grain, and troll really. But selfish? Really? That's a new low. I'm pretty sure it's his life, so why should anyone else decide for him. They have no clue what he's suffering through day to day. He tried, but it just couldn't work, but all that matters is that he tried.

with all the past injuries and the pains from the punches he received from being an enforcer, i am very certain that he received pain medications. i mean not the NSAID's (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) but for sure he received narcotics to alleviate those pains. it may lead to another such as dependency or depression.

it is so sad to see his death at a very young age. condolences to his family... i will miss his courage and being the pound-for-pound king in NHL.

I'm at a loss at what to say. The tears blur my eyes as I type this- Rick Rypien, You were a man who defended your teammates no matter the size of your opponent. Your loyalty to the team, the fans and the city are legendary. You leave such " Big Skates" to fill and large voids in our hearts. To watch you play was such joy - I think we all can say, that the intensity and zeal on your face made you a fan favourite from the start. I know that whatever was hurting you will be tended to and peace will be yours. Rest well Rick, you have more than earned it.

Archived