The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rick Rypien Passes Away

Darcy Rota

Sad to hear :( Always liked Ripper. Doesn't really matter whether he was over or under rated, or whether he fit on our team or not. He was a great fighter, and played with a lot of heart and I was very happy for him and a bit disappointed when I heard he signed with Winnipeg.

Hi all,

I decided to take the summer off from CDC because I was feeling a bit burnt out after the playoffs

But lately I was missing it and really looking forward to coming back in a few weeks once prospect camps and stuff got underway. I never imagined that I'd be back on early for something like this.

Rick Rypien had his issues, we all know that. But he was one of the most fearless fighters in the league and he never backed down from any challenger. That takes guts and he had em. And he had a great set of hands for scoring some nice goals too. He was the first and only player since Gino Odjick who brought me to my feet after dropping the mitts. It is so devastating that his hockey journey and his life had to end this way.

The Canucks have had way too many tragedies hit them lately. First it was Luc, then Pyatt's fiancee, Manny's devastating injury, and now Rypien. I don't even know what to say other than that I think we as a fan base were proud to have Ryp on our team.

RIP Ryp. Fearless fighter all the way to heaven.

Condolences to the family

RIP Rick, I always respected the game you played with the size you were given. Pound for pound you were one of the great enforcers in the league. It must be one of the most punishing jobs in sports to have to go out and fight to keep your spot, no matter what the damage it can do Mentally and physically. People don't know what it feels to be in their shoes, myself included but I can at least imagine it.

Archived