The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

54 minutes ago, Alflives said:

All true, but the MLS has Wayne Rooney now.  Seriously, where does our domestic league kind of rank compared to the Premiership and Serie A?  Are we like the KHL is to the NHL?

Its not really comparable. The big 4 Leagues in europe (La Liga, Serie A, EPL, and Bundesliga) are the NHL. Ligue 1 is the KHL. The Mexican league, Argentine league, Brazil league, the Dutch league are the AHL/Big Euro Leagues. We are like the ECHL (and that is being generous)

It never will be until the US and Canada can develop players at a high level. Even then, would you rather play for a team the calibre and prestige of say Real Madrid or the LA Galaxy. Many big clubs have many years of tradition on our MLS teams, plus have more capital to spend on the club. We also don't have fans that care about the team enough. Ask @Scottish⑦Canuck about hardcore Celtic supporters and their habits. 

Edited by ReggieBush
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ReggieBush said:

Its well on its way. Its undeniable. Roma are building something great. Juve already have something great. Inter is building. Milan have a brilliant young core and are on the verge of receiving an influx of cash through Rocco Comisso. Napoli has Ancelotti. Fiorentina has one of the best, if not the best young attacking trident in the world in Pjaca, Simeone, and Chiesa. Italian clubs are building sustainably.

When did they get him?

Good trio, ya

50 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

When did they get him?

Good trio, ya

Gianluca Di Marzio said it is all but confirmed a few days ago. He is usually pretty reliable. Plus the addition of Ronaldo creates a problem in the attacking ranks for Juve. They have to many weapons and not enough game time to go around. Pjaca, Costa, Cuadrado, Bernadeschi, Manzukic, Higauin, Ronaldo, Dybala are all very good attacking options. It just makes sense for them to move on from one of them at least. Pjaca makes sense being that he is fresh off a torn ACL and still isn't truly to full health. I think they move on from 2 personally (Higauin and Pjaca)

36 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Gianluca Di Marzio said it is all but confirmed a few days ago. He is usually pretty reliable. Plus the addition of Ronaldo creates a problem in the attacking ranks for Juve. They have to many weapons and not enough game time to go around. Pjaca, Costa, Cuadrado, Bernadeschi, Manzukic, Higauin, Ronaldo, Dybala are all very good attacking options. It just makes sense for them to move on from one of them at least. Pjaca makes sense being that he is fresh off a torn ACL and still isn't truly to full health. I think they move on from 2 personally (Higauin and Pjaca)

Must have missed it then.

Ya, Pjaca and Higuain moving on makes the most sense.

Get the feeling Sarri will bin Morata and bring in Higuain.  Speaking of DiMarzio, he said that Chelsea are looking to hijack the Jorginho to City deal, as well.

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

All true, but the MLS has Wayne Rooney now.  Seriously, where does our domestic league kind of rank compared to the Premiership and Serie A?  Are we like the KHL is to the NHL?

More like the German DEL hockey league. MLS has a ways to go before they are considered relevant in terms of even being a top 10 league in the world. It will take more than getting aging European stars on the back 9 of their careers like Wayne Rooney.

Need a guy or two still in their prime who can play in one of the top 5 Euro leagues to truly put MLS on the map.

Think Giovinco but much bigger.

I agree what Thierry Henry once said about MLS. The need to get rid of the salary cap to give ownership the financial power and freedom to truly bring in good players only then the league will improve in the world's eyes.

• Upvote 1

There's not really scenario (at least not in the next 20-30 years, IMHO) where the MLS even reaches the level of European leagues.  It's like Reggie said, the dreams of playing football for Real Madrid or Bayern Munich are much higher than playing for Philadelphia Union.  And that includes players brought up in North America.

At best, pumping in money for North American team ends up like China/Middle East, where eventually you cap it on foreigners because your national team programs suffer for it or in a slightly better case scenario, you become a Russia or Turkey, where, again, it is only marginally better because you're not necessarily capping it on foreigners.

The real way to improve football in North America is to add promotion/relegation.  Give players something meaningful to play for on both ends of the table, weed out guys coming to collect a pay check, weed out managers who haven't got a clue tactically, and maybe then the MLS would be taken seriously.

Also, remove the draft.  A big part of European football and why players choose their clubs is because of the reputations that are built because of academies and the emphasis that clubs place on developing players.

• Upvote 2

Despicable the way we with dealt with Conte, but I have come to expect it now. We are a club that treats it's managers without any shred of class and unlike some fanboys I refuse to applaud it. With that said welcome Maurizio Sarri.

37 minutes ago, Toews said:

Despicable the way we with dealt with Conte, but I have come to expect it now. We are a club that treats it's managers without any shred of class and unlike some fanboys I refuse to applaud it. With that said welcome Maurizio Sarri.

Must have been pretty awkward when he ran training the other day :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting sick of UEFA in all honesty. I don't think that Celtic should qualify for the CL automatically (although you could certainly make that argument as it's the CHAMPIONS league), but to go through 4 qualifying rounds starting in mid July is ridiculous. Players aren't getting anywhere near enough rest and it's showing with injuries.

Beat the Armenian champions, then a tough tie against the champions of Norway, then a tie against the champions of Greece if we're lucky enough to get through that. And then we have to play an even more difficult opponent if we progress through that.

All so the big leagues have more seats at the table and the rich get richer. It's BS.

• Upvote 1

On 25/07/2018 at 2:56 PM, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I'm getting sick of UEFA in all honesty. I don't think that Celtic should qualify for the CL automatically (although you could certainly make that argument as it's the CHAMPIONS league), but to go through 4 qualifying rounds starting in mid July is ridiculous. Players aren't getting anywhere near enough rest and it's showing with injuries.

Beat the Armenian champions, then a tough tie against the champions of Norway, then a tie against the champions of Greece if we're lucky enough to get through that. And then we have to play an even more difficult opponent if we progress through that.

All so the big leagues have more seats at the table and the rich get richer. It's BS.

While I totally agree, I do believe the SFA and SPL could have done more to accommodate the Scottish clubs in Europe.

Why on earth the league in Scotland can't start a month earlier I will never understand.

All the garbage about summer holidays and rest after Championships (EURO/WC) is nonsense. The league would have far more marketing value for TV companies, if games could be shown live, while the EPL still hasn't started. 

The league in Denmark started 2 weeks ago, meaning their players are up to speed, when the qualifiers starts.

Maybe just maybe that could help Scottish clubs through the first rounds, improve the coefficient enough to them not having to go through all these early cup games.

At least you didn't have to start with games against Burnley, followed by a tie in Turkey, should the 'mighty Dons survive.

But yes do agree that its nonsense you have to go through all these qualifiers. Just like its a disgrace that once they gets knocked out of C\L they enter the Euroleague and takes the money away from the remaining teams, who doesn't have the same revenue income, and really need money from their Euro games.

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

While I totally agree, I do believe the SFA and SPL could have done more to accommodate the Scottish clubs in Europe.

Why on earth the league in Scotland can't start a month earlier I will never understand.

All the garbage about summer holidays and rest after Championships (EURO/WC) is nonsense. The league would have far more marketing value for TV companies, if games could be shown live, while the EPL still hasn't started. 

The league in Denmark started 2 weeks ago, meaning their players are up to speed, when the qualifiers starts.

Maybe just maybe that could help Scottish clubs through the first rounds, improve the coefficient enough to them not having to go through all these early cup games.

At least you didn't have to start with games against Burnley, followed by a tie in Turkey, should the 'mighty Dons survive.

But yes do agree that its nonsense you have to go through all these qualifiers. Just like its a disgrace that once they gets knocked out of C\L they enter the Euroleague and takes the money away from the remaining teams, who doesn't have the same revenue income, and really need money from their Euro games.

I've been a proponent of summer football for ages. As you said it better prepares clubs for the challenge of European football. And it's far more enjoyable to go out in the summer months and watch football in a t shirt instead of freezing your balls off in the winter.

The state of the pitch at Pittodrie from November to March is an advert in itself for summer football. It's unplayable.

1 hour ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I've been a proponent of summer football for ages. As you said it better prepares clubs for the challenge of European football. And it's far more enjoyable to go out in the summer months and watch football in a t shirt instead of freezing your balls off in the winter.

The state of the pitch at Pittodrie from November to March is an advert in itself for summer football. It's unplayable.

Totally agree. 

I’ve said the same like forever. 

Furthermore club who doesn’t get showered in gold from tv deals need income from merchandise. And surely it’ll be easier to sell shirts to people sitting in the stand in the summer, than during the dark winter months. 

Anyway S7C one can only hope SPL and SFA suddenly start using their brain and start thinking for themselves instead of the envious looks south of the border...

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Gunners 0-2 to start the season....:)

That being said, City/Chelsea is a pretty tough way to start your campaign. Maybe some relief with the also 0-2 Hammers coming up on Saturday.

Arsenal has a great logo though.

1144DF44-B19A-4954-BDC8-C85B85E028BF.png