The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

Europa draw friday... Who will face Manchester United?

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2011/Dec/Potential-Europa-League-opponents-confirmed.aspx

Who could United face?

Potential Round of 32 opponents:

Trabzonspor

Ajax

Porto

Viktoria Plzen

Hannover 96

Legia Warsaw

Lazio

Red Bull Salzburg

Steaua Bucharest

Wisla Krakow

Lokomotiv Moscow

Rubin Kazan

AZ Alkmaar

Braga

Udinese

I bolded the teams i hope we avoid in the first round.

I have bolded the teams I would like to avoid simply because of the travel and conditions.

There is no team on this list that should concern us over 2 legs but to be honest, Im really not arsed

Edited by topbananas

Europa draw friday... Who will face Manchester United?

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2011/Dec/Potential-Europa-League-opponents-confirmed.aspx

Who could United face?

Potential Round of 32 opponents:

Trabzonspor

Ajax

Porto

Viktoria Plzen

Hannover 96

Legia Warsaw

Lazio

Red Bull Salzburg

Steaua Bucharest

Wisla Krakow

Lokomotiv Moscow

Rubin Kazan

AZ Alkmaar

Braga

Udinese

I bolded the teams i hope we avoid in the first round.

I say we get either Hannover 96 or Braga.

Round of 32 draw

1 FC Porto* (POR) v Manchester City FC* (ENG)¹

2 AFC Ajax* (NED) v Manchester United FC* (ENG)

3 FC Lokomotiv Moskva (RUS) v Athletic Club (ESP)

4 FC Salzburg (AUT) v FC Metalist Kharkiv (UKR)

5 Stoke City FC (ENG) v Valencia CF* (ESP)

6 FC Rubin Kazan (RUS) v Olympiacos FC* (GRE)

7 AZ Alkmaar (NED) v RSC Anderlecht (BEL)

8 S.S. Lazio (ITA) v Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP)

9 FC Steaua Bucureşti (ROU) v FC Twente (NED)

10 FC Viktoria Plzeň* (CZE) v FC Schalke 04 (GER)

11 Wisła Kraków (POL) v R. Standard de Liège (BEL)

12 SC Braga (POR) v Beşiktaş JK (TUR)²

13 Udinese Calcio (ITA) v PAOK FC (GRE)

14 Trabzonspor AŞ* (TUR) v PSV Eindhoven (NED)

15 Hannover 96 (GER) v Club Brugge KV (BEL)

16 Legia Warszawa (POL) v Sporting Clube de Portugal (POR)

There are todays draws from the europa league!

United vs Ajax whats everyones opinion of that draw?

Edited by Shea Weber

Round of 32 draw

should be two good games, ajax are a decent young side who were robbed of progress in the champions league. always fun in holland

Round of 32 draw

Not a bad draw, could have been way better.

:lol: this european adventure is going to end up costing celtic money, bet they wish sion won their appeal now!!!

I just don't get what they thought they were going to achieve by doing this. They have the right to an opinion but keep it behind closed doors and stop embarrassing the rest of us.

There's a bit of division within the Celtic support right now based on all of this.

Edited by Sc♂ttish⑦Canuck™

I just don't get what they thought they were going to achieve by doing this. They have the right to an opinion but keep it behind closed doors and stop embarrassing the rest of us.

There's a bit of division within the Celtic support right now based on all of this.

thats a good thing I think and probably needs to happen, i liked lennons comment that he was surprised that they got the spelling right. what did it actually say?

thats a good thing I think and probably needs to happen, i liked lennons comment that he was surprised that they got the spelling right. what did it actually say?

F*** UEFA.

Whilst it's not the worst banner I've ever seen, it's just a stupid and childish thing to do. And isn't helping things at all. Yeah, Lennon's comment was pretty good, but on a Celtic forum I'm on a few people are calling it a disgrace (which in itself is a disgrace). On there in particular, there is a pretty huge division. A lot of the Irish fans aren't keen on us stopping the singing some of these songs, and you get the 3rd or 4th generation "Irish" Scots who agree with them because they think they're Irish Republicans despite having no real connection with the country anymore.

Like I've mentioned before, I've no issue with singing songs about the Old IRA but they don't belong at the football match, and songs about the PIRA (of which there are only a few) just annoy me.

Luckily there's been some success in eradicating them at games in recent weeks so I'm hoping it continues that way.

EDIT: No doubt the media will have a field day with this. And there's still the issue of whether you can ban songs about the Old IRA and the repercussions that will have, but yeah. IMO they don't belong.

Also, I believe that I previously bet my life savings that UEFA would do nothing. I retract that statement... :lol:

Edited by Sc♂ttish⑦Canuck™

;)

F*** UEFA.

Whilst it's not the worst banner I've ever seen, it's just a stupid and childish thing to do. And isn't helping things at all. Yeah, Lennon's comment was pretty good, but on a Celtic forum I'm on a few people are calling it a disgrace (which in itself is a disgrace). On there in particular, there is a pretty huge division. A lot of the Irish fans aren't keen on us stopping the singing some of these songs, and you get the 3rd or 4th generation "Irish" Scots who agree with them because they think they're Irish Republicans despite having no real connection with the country anymore.

Like I've mentioned before, I've no issue with singing songs about the Old IRA but they don't belong at the football match, and songs about the PIRA (of which there are only a few) just annoy me.

Luckily there's been some success in eradicating them at games in recent weeks so I'm hoping it continues that way.

EDIT: No doubt the media will have a field day with this. And there's still the issue of whether you can ban songs about the Old IRA and the repercussions that will have, but yeah. IMO they don't belong.

Also, I believe that I previously bet my life savings that UEFA would do nothing. I retract that statement... :lol:

Playing right into Platini's hands that, it wont only be the media that have a field day. Platini could go nuts with this. I would be afraid, very very afraid.

These (in bold) are the ones that really p!ss me off, if you polled them, I doubt 5% could actually tell you what the whole thing is about. I say it again, and not to provoke arguement or anything else, but Celtic have a way bigger problem with this than the other lot. Until some major banning orders are actually enforced, nothing will change. It has to come from the police and the stewards at the games and those, as I have said before, can be the worst offenders at times.

Did I not take that bet on by the way? ;)

;)

Playing right into Platini's hands that, it wont only be the media that have a field day. Platini could go nuts with this. I would be afraid, very very afraid.

These (in bold) are the ones that really p!ss me off, if you polled them, I doubt 5% could actually tell you what the whole thing is about. I say it again, and not to provoke arguement or anything else, but Celtic have a way bigger problem with this than the other lot. Until some major banning orders are actually enforced, nothing will change. It has to come from the police and the stewards at the games and those, as I have said before, can be the worst offenders at times.

Did I not take that bet on by the way? ;)

I'll respectfully disagree. In terms of political views, yes. Rangers have a far, far greater problem where sectarianism is concerned and the reputation of their support in general.

But anyway, I'm just looking forward to the 28th. It'll give me an indication of how good Celtic are. Concentrate on the football for a change instead of this nonsense. The thing I'm most annoyed about is that this has taken the shine off what was a pretty impressive away performance (for once).

I'll respectfully disagree. In terms of political views, yes. Rangers have a far, far greater problem where sectarianism is concerned and the reputation of their support in general.

But anyway, I'm just looking forward to the 28th. It'll give me an indication of how good Celtic are. Concentrate on the football for a change instead of this nonsense. The thing I'm most annoyed about is that this has taken the shine off what was a pretty impressive away performance (for once).

amen to that

get to see the dons win twice in a week :frantic: COYR

fixed

shocking standard of football though and even worse refereeing, never a pen nor a red card, the red card was a joke, was barely a foul!!!

i used to really like thompson as a ref, ive seen him ref some big euro qualifiers, the playoffs I believe and some big, later stage champions league and europa league games really well but today he was awful and his linesmen were not much better!!!

that said, who cares, 3 points are all that counts and if we can do the same in inverness next week, we are well on our way back to the top 6

The AC Milan president was speaking about the chances of signing Tevez in an interview I read the other day and he said that Tevez has 2 choices, first, he could go to Milan from the chance to play for a great club with honour, tradition with the chance to win one of europes greatest leagues and compete regularly in europe or he could go to paris for the money.........See you in Paris then Carlos.

Also, ANOTHER hat trick for Ronaldo last night!!!!!

The AC Milan president was speaking about the chances of signing Tevez in an interview I read the other day and he said that Tevez has 2 choices, first, he could go to Milan from the chance to play for a great club with honour, tradition with the chance to win one of europes greatest leagues and compete regularly in europe or he could go to paris for the money.........See you in Paris then Carlos.

Also, ANOTHER hat trick for Ronaldo last night!!!!!

Hahaha no doubt in my mind Tevez goes to Paris.