The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

"and Man United had just been knocked out of a Champions League group they should have coasted through."

Fact. When I saw the champions league draw on TV I thought the same, Easy group, great. How they managed to mess it up is beyond me. But Its complacency. The current United team is missing a Roy Keane like player, someone who grabs the team by the scruff of the shirt and pulls them forward. But I don't think there will ever be another player quite like Roy. Love him or hate him, he was the best captain the team ever had.

• Upvote 1

Safe standing sections could be introduced in the Scottish Premier League, following the approval of a plan to allow top flight clubs to pilot the idea.

Following a meeting of the 12 member clubs on Monday, a vote was passed to amend current rules stating all SPL grounds must be all-seater.

The SPL board will now have the ability to approve any request made by a club to pilot a standing area, subject to further approval from the police and local authorities.

Neil Doncaster, chief executive of the SPL, said: “Since I joined the SPL in 2009, there has been widespread support amongst fans to re-introduce safe standing areas.

"I am delighted that we have been able to respond positively to supporters’ views on improving the match day experience.

There is no jurisdiction under Scots law preventing standing areas returning, with only an amendment to the SPL's rules required.

Top flight grounds in Scotland have been all-seater since 1994 and current regulations stipulate the need for all clubs to have a minimum capacity of 6,000 all-seated.

Excellent news.

Excellent news.

I hope they go through with it, we never had any problems in scotland with standing, although pitodrie has been all seated before i started going. away days were always more atmospheric and i reckon a big part of that was because we were standing. any problems that happen in scotland at games are in city centres/train stations before/after the games

in other news, i see uefa have charged celtic again.........yous are f**ked this time!!!!

I hope they go through with it, we never had any problems in scotland with standing, although pitodrie has been all seated before i started going. away days were always more atmospheric and i reckon a big part of that was because we were standing. any problems that happen in scotland at games are in city centres/train stations before/after the games

in other news, i see uefa have charged celtic again.........yous are f**ked this time!!!!

Yeah, don't even get me started on that. Disappointing that a few idiots have further damaged our reputation.

I'd love it if standing room was reintroduced. Works brilliantly in Germany, and the atmosphere would definitely improve around grounds, with hopefully cheaper tickets (although I wouldn't be surprised if they kept them the same price for standing). It's a lot safer these days too so hopefully they'll be introduced soon.

Edited by Sc♂ttish⑦Canuck™

Yeah, don't even get me started on that. Disappointing that a few idiots have further damaged our reputation.

I'd love it if standing room was reintroduced. Works brilliantly in Germany, and the atmosphere would definitely improve around grounds, with hopefully cheaper tickets (although I wouldn't be surprised if they kept them the same price for standing). It's a lot safer these days too so hopefully they'll be introduced soon.

if anything the standing tickets will probably be more expensive, you know what the sfa are like :lol:

seriously though, they need to do something to try and get more people into the grounds, they had a special offer on at aberdeen on saturday that if you turned up with a season ticket holder, you got in for a quid and there still wasnt 8000 at the game.

if anything the standing tickets will probably be more expensive, you know what the sfa are like :lol:

seriously though, they need to do something to try and get more people into the grounds, they had a special offer on at aberdeen on saturday that if you turned up with a season ticket holder, you got in for a quid and there still wasnt 8000 at the game.

Ah, didn't know about that. Would have gone but I only got into Aberdeen on Saturday night. I know a couple of season ticket holders and I honestly don't know why they pay that mmuch money to see Aberdeen week in week out. Passionate fans I guess.

Thoughts on the Suarez ban? Is "Negrito" racist, when we don't know the context within which it was used?

if he said it he should be banned, no question. the frustrating thing about the whole episode is terry and the lack of fa investigation etc, had terry been given the same then there would/could have been no complaints.

Thoughts on the Suarez ban? Is "Negrito" racist, when we don't know the context within which it was used?

Well a few things to consider.

Suarez does not contest the fact that he used the word. He contested that the word can be used in a non-derogatory manner (kinda like how black people calls each other the the n-word.

But the fact is that he and the other player is trash talking each other it was very heated. The word was used more then once, so any logical person will have to conclude that is not used in a friendly context, and that he was racially taunting the other player.

This doesn't mean Suaraz hates black ppl (LFC's rather pathetic defense of Suarez having black friends and a black grandpa seems to miss the point), it merely means he is using racist language to try to wind up the other player, which is still unacceptible and deserves the band.

John Terry is charged now, it would be interesting to see how it turns out.

if he said it he should be banned, no question. the frustrating thing about the whole episode is terry and the lack of fa investigation etc, had terry been given the same then there would/could have been no complaints.

Well a few things to consider.

Suarez does not contest the fact that he used the word. He contested that the word can be used in a non-derogatory manner (kinda like how black people calls each other the the n-word.

But the fact is that he and the other player is trash talking each other it was very heated. The word was used more then once, so any logical person will have to conclude that is not used in a friendly context, and that he was racially taunting the other player.

This doesn't mean Suaraz hates black ppl (LFC's rather pathetic defense of Suarez having black friends and a black grandpa seems to miss the point), it merely means he is using racist language to try to wind up the other player, which is still unacceptible and deserves the band.

John Terry is charged now, it would be interesting to see how it turns out.

I agree that he should be banned. I do, however, think that 8 games is too much.

I agree that he should be banned. I do, however, think that 8 games is too much.

8 games does seem harsh but there is no similar previous incedents to compare the punishment with.

The FA must come out and release the findings, exactly what was said, by both players. Hopefully then this can be put to bed.

I have to say, Im getting more than a little annoyed with Liverpools whining and all this "we love Suarez" sh!t, accept the punishment and move on. When United lost Cantona after his karate kid impression they stood by the player but still banned him and accepted the punishment handed out by the FA etc. Liverpool need to accept this and by doing so still stand by Suarez. Wonder how Glenn Johnson (the only "black" player in Liverpools first team squad) really feels......

anyone else excited for the 2012 Euro Cup? im hoping Germany can bring it home, ive always been a German soccer fan. Muller <3

no, not really, we (Scotland) failed to qualify (again) I just hope its more watchabke than the last world cup.

I do think Germany will win though