The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

44 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

It was a league cup win as mentioned lol. Anyways they deserved to move on to the QFs. Mata brilliantly finished a nice pass by Ibra and the team defended well. Didn't watch the entire match but don't think De Gea was tested that much.

Yep you're right. Surprisingly, no shots on target for City actually. They had 5 attempts if I reall correctly but failed to test DDG.

First time since 2012 since that last happened to City.

What is your "Dream XI"?

Can be purely based on your favorite players, or talent. It is up to you.

My dream XI would be in a 4-2-3-1.

In net is quite possibly the best goalie of all time, Gianluigi Buffon. Even today he is still capable of making saves that nobody in the world except for him can make.

My CB partnership is Baresi and Barzagli. Baresi from what my grandfather has told me and through watching highlights is the best defender of all time. Barzagli is my favorite CB right now and is an easy choice as he does all the little things right. He is the most important piece of the best defense in the world (the BBC, Juve, Italy).

At the FB positions are Fabio Grosso and Phillip Lahm. Grosso had incredible stamina and could run up and down the pitch all game. He also scored many clutch goals for the Azzurri. Lahm's vision and IQ are incredible. He does everything well.

My two DM are Gennaro Gattuso and Andrea Pirlo. Gattuso gets Pirlo the ball and gives the side an "edge" while Pirlo is simply a maestro with impeccable passing and vision.

At CAM is the one and only Riquelme. I adored his creativity in the final third and he had the ability to make something out of nothing is just such an asset.

On the wings are Messi and Garrincha. Both short in stature but made up for it in their incredible attacking flair and vision. Messi IMO is the GOAT. I personally do not see how people can even compare him to CR7. He is just so much better.

Up front is the sole Frenchman on my team. Thierry Henry. One of my favorite players of all time and is the reason why I support Arsenal.

There are so many other players that I love and respect that didn't make the cut (Totti, Toni, Di Natale, Alexis, Iniesta, Maradona, Roberto Carlos, Nesta, Maldini, Cruyff, Rivaldo, BaloB), and more). It is such a tough decision. Would love to hear who would make the cut for you

2 hours ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

&^@#ing best game I've seen us play in 3 god damn years and Tom Heaton becomes Lev Yashin reincarnate. 

Yep hahaha. Just got a chance to watch the game rn. Unbelievable. Single handedly secured Burnley a point today. If it wasn't for him, United win 5-0 easy <_<

• Upvote 1

@ReggieBush

IMG_1024.PNG

This team would operate under a blend of two of the best football philosophies of all time in the Italian Catenaccio and the Dutch Total Football.

The defenders in my team would play more Catenaccio with Beckenbauer operating as the natural sweeper and Cannavaro and Baresi able to cover him if he goes forward. Matthäus is the key to my entire Dream Team, when defending he will drop into the back line much like he did in the latter stages of his career and when we are attacking he will be the pivot point from defense to offense. 

Now the attacking side of my team is definitely more of a Total Football style of play, specifically I wanted to key in on the 1970s Ajax teams. 

All the attackers can each play in the 6 forward positions of this team. Best and Džajić would be running rampant down the wings and constantly switching sides. Charlton and Cruyff would be the maestros conducting the orchestra feeding the balls out to the wings and up to the forwards. Messi and di Steffano probably have the easiest job of just sticking the ball in the back of the net. Which shouldn't be to hard since the have 695 goals between the two of them.  

Now the players in this team might not all be the very best and it's very hard not putting Pelé, Maradona, Garrincha etc. in the team. But IMO for a team to be successful they not only have to be talented footballers but also have to play a system that compliments their style of play. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Yep hahaha. Just got a chance to watch the game rn. Unbelievable. Single handedly secured Burnley a point today. If it wasn't for him, United win 5-0 easy <_<

Ran out of pluses. I agree that this would've been a blowout had Heaton not been sharp. Strangly enough, I acquired him on free transfer  on my FIFA 16 manager mode but haven't started him yet since Romero wanted to start. Tough one to swallow for United though. They easily deserved 3 points.

22 hours ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

I'd never thought I'd say this at the start of the season but, Zlatan needs to be dropped he's costing us points. 

I've not watched him much but from City playing PSG last year I thought he was a bit over hyped.

Great result yesterday, City needed to get back to winning ways and while it may not be against top compitition it's important points and maybe a bit of a confidence boost.

On 10/29/2016 at 10:10 PM, CaptainCanuck001 said:

@ReggieBush

IMG_1024.PNG

This team would operate under a blend of two of the best football philosophies of all time in the Italian Catenaccio and the Dutch Total Football.

The defenders in my team would play more Catenaccio with Beckenbauer operating as the natural sweeper and Cannavaro and Baresi able to cover him if he goes forward. Matthäus is the key to my entire Dream Team, when defending he will drop into the back line much like he did in the latter stages of his career and when we are attacking he will be the pivot point from defense to offense. 

Now the attacking side of my team is definitely more of a Total Football style of play, specifically I wanted to key in on the 1970s Ajax teams. 

All the attackers can each play in the 6 forward positions of this team. Best and Džajić would be running rampant down the wings and constantly switching sides. Charlton and Cruyff would be the maestros conducting the orchestra feeding the balls out to the wings and up to the forwards. Messi and di Steffano probably have the easiest job of just sticking the ball in the back of the net. Which shouldn't be to hard since the have 695 goals between the two of them.  

Now the players in this team might not all be the very best and it's very hard not putting Pelé, Maradona, Garrincha etc. in the team. But IMO for a team to be successful they not only have to be talented footballers but also have to play a system that compliments their style of play. 

Schmeichel

Philip Lahm-Baresi - Beckenbauer- Maldini

Ronaldo-Zidane-Maradona- Platini

Messi-Van Basten

This is probably the best players I've watched over the years

Maybe change Van Basten with the Brazilian Ronaldo and one of Zidane,Maradona, Platini with Cryff to get some width, but that would be one strong team.

• Upvote 2

On 10/29/2016 at 5:31 PM, Beary Sweet said:

United could only muster point against Burnley despite peppering 37 shots and made the keeper stay on its heel. Another winnable game that they drop points in. Hopefully the wins start pouring on for United rather than later. Go United!

Still... an extreme improvement on LVG's 4 attempts during games. It will definitely turn, and at least so much more entertaining :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

On 29 October, 2016 at 0:01 PM, ReggieBush said:

What is your "Dream XI"?

Can be purely based on your favorite players, or talent. It is up to you.

My dream XI would be in a 4-2-3-1.

In net is quite possibly the best goalie of all time, Gianluigi Buffon. Even today he is still capable of making saves that nobody in the world except for him can make.

My CB partnership is Baresi and Barzagli. Baresi from what my grandfather has told me and through watching highlights is the best defender of all time. Barzagli is my favorite CB right now and is an easy choice as he does all the little things right. He is the most important piece of the best defense in the world (the BBC, Juve, Italy).

At the FB positions are Fabio Grosso and Phillip Lahm. Grosso had incredible stamina and could run up and down the pitch all game. He also scored many clutch goals for the Azzurri. Lahm's vision and IQ are incredible. He does everything well.

My two DM are Gennaro Gattuso and Andrea Pirlo. Gattuso gets Pirlo the ball and gives the side an "edge" while Pirlo is simply a maestro with impeccable passing and vision.

At CAM is the one and only Riquelme. I adored his creativity in the final third and he had the ability to make something out of nothing is just such an asset.

On the wings are Messi and Garrincha. Both short in stature but made up for it in their incredible attacking flair and vision. Messi IMO is the GOAT. I personally do not see how people can even compare him to CR7. He is just so much better.

Up front is the sole Frenchman on my team. Thierry Henry. One of my favorite players of all time and is the reason why I support Arsenal.

There are so many other players that I love and respect that didn't make the cut (Totti, Toni, Di Natale, Alexis, Iniesta, Maradona, Roberto Carlos, Nesta, Maldini, Cruyff, Rivaldo, BaloB), and more). It is such a tough decision. Would love to hear who would make the cut for you

Van der Sar

Sergio Ramos-Vidic-Puyol-Chiellini 

Ronaldo-Maradona-Carlos

Messi-Raul-Bergkamp

I only have Van der Sar and Vidic on my dream XI because they played a big part in Ferguson's success at United. Without those two, United wouldn't have all those trophies in their cabinet right now. I chose Chiellini because he's as tough as Barzagli but he plays a big part in BBC as well. He's also a very solid defender, never gives up on a play which is why I gave him the edge over Barzagli. Messi and Ronaldo are just the cream of the crop in soccer currently and they are the best of the best and deserve to be where they are today. Ramos and Puyol are pure legends in Spain no doubt. By the time Ramos retires from international play, he will known as the best Spanish defenders of all time. Maradona, Bergkamp, Raul and Roberto Carlos names speaks for itself. They were best players before CR7 and Messi emerged as stars. 

• Upvote 2

On 29/10/2016 at 0:01 PM, ReggieBush said:

What is your "Dream XI"?

I'm a sucker for these types of questions. But actually putting them in action is far more difficult. My fav type of player is a good, workhorse midfielder. Vieira, Keane, etc. But since I could never ethically have those two in the same lineup, I had to choose Gattuso and Keane - even though I'm not super sure it would work out well in reality.

I don't think I've seen a more consistent defender than Maldini, and I love Rio so he gets in there. 

Fat Ronaldo is the best striker I've seen. Rivaldo seemed like an annoying person, but was brilliant to watch. Figo is probably a bit overrated in the grand scheme of things, but I loved watching him dominate the left wing even into his 30s. Push Scholes out to the right a bit just to justify having him in the lineup.

I was struggling to think of many left backs/wingbacks, so I just went with Cole. Cafu and Buffon don't need any explanation.

Edit: Whoops, meant to push Figo and Rivaldo apart

1525607_Dream_Team.jpg

Edited by GLASSJAW
  • Upvote 4

9 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

I'm a sucker for these types of questions. But actually putting them in action is far more difficult. My fav type of player is a good, workhorse midfielder. Vieira, Keane, etc. But since I could never ethically have those two in the same lineup, I had to choose Gattuso and Keane - even though I'm not super sure it would work out well in reality.

I don't think I've seen a more consistent defender than Maldini, and I love Rio so he gets in there. 

Fat Ronaldo is the best striker I've seen. Rivaldo seemed like an annoying person, but was brilliant to watch. Figo is probably a bit overrated in the grand scheme of things, but I loved watching him dominate the left wing even into his 30s. Push Scholes out to the right a bit just to justify having him in the lineup.

I was struggling to think of many left backs/wingbacks, so I just went with Cole. Cafu and Buffon don't need any explanation.

Edit: Whoops, meant to push Figo and Rivaldo apart

1525607_Dream_Team.jpg

Think I have to agree, that if my team should be able to compete, I'd have to find room for Keano or Scholes. This is just near impossible.... 

18 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

City :blink:

Is that surprise?

I missed this game again because of work, however from the highlights I've seen and reaction from fans this sounds like a great performance. Something I felt a properly selected side would deliver.