The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

At this point, the whole board, manager, and team should get sacked.

Scorch the earth lmfao.

But in seriousness, a new manager needs to come in as I don't think anything Wenger does going forward will win back the support of fans.  The team needs a massive overhaul too.  When your most passionate (sorry Coq) and hard-working player is laughing at a 10-2 aggregate, it says all you need to know about the state of the football club.  The stat about Koscielny in both legs is terrible to read.  One player shouldn't make or break a team like that.

New manager must come in and must be given full autonomy over the team.  Let him sell all 25 or so players if he wants, but importantly let him get the guys he feels can bring success to the club.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

At this point, the whole board, manager, and team should get sacked.

Scorch the earth lmfao.

But in seriousness, a new manager needs to come in as I don't think anything Wenger does going forward will win back the support of fans.  The team needs a massive overhaul too.  When your most passionate (sorry Coq) and hard-working player is laughing at a 10-2 aggregate, it says all you need to know about the state of the football club.  The stat about Koscielny in both legs is terrible to read.  One player shouldn't make or break a team like that.

New manager must come in and must be given full autonomy over the team.  Let him sell all 25 or so players if he wants, but importantly let him get the guys he feels can bring success to the club.

I'm no expert, but it seems like the only thing that could save Arsenal at this point is new ownership

The board is too cheap to buy new players, and the sale of current players wouldn't bring in enough money to improve on their quality -- meanwhile, doesn't Arsenal charge more at the gate than any club in the UK? it's a profit-driven club at the cost of a half-pregnant identity. Absolutely miserable state of affairs there, I think

one thing I wonder about is how much a club like Chelsea was purchased for, how much it's now worth, and how much it would currently sell for

vs.

a club like Arsenal--which is undoubtedly worth far more than Chelsea was when it was purchased--and how much it would sell for, and subsequently how much would have to be injected into it to make it more than what it currently is. Arsenal is already worth so much, is there any sense in investors buying it? as opposed to...

vs.

how much it would cost to buy a club like West Ham and turn it into the next Chelsea?

1 hour ago, GLASSJAW said:

I'm no expert, but it seems like the only thing that could save Arsenal at this point is new ownership

The board is too cheap to buy new players, and the sale of current players wouldn't bring in enough money to improve on their quality -- meanwhile, doesn't Arsenal charge more at the gate than any club in the UK? it's a profit-driven club at the cost of a half-pregnant identity. Absolutely miserable state of affairs there, I think

one thing I wonder about is how much a club like Chelsea was purchased for, how much it's now worth, and how much it would currently sell for

vs.

a club like Arsenal--which is undoubtedly worth far more than Chelsea was when it was purchased--and how much it would sell for, and subsequently how much would have to be injected into it to make it more than what it currently is. Arsenal is already worth so much, is there any sense in investors buying it? as opposed to...

vs.

how much it would cost to buy a club like West Ham and turn it into the next Chelsea?

There will be no more Chelsea, City, or PSG stories in European football any longer. 

Financial Fair Play was put into place by these clubs to prevent other clubs buying their way into the elite the same way they did. 

These 'sugar daddy' clubs were the very same ones who pushed for FFP. 

1 hour ago, Tony Romo said:

Don't see how firing him will help. They make the top 4 almost every year.

Lack of ambition. 

A club the size of Arsenal should aspire to win leagues, not achieve 7 consecutive round of 16 losses and no league titles in now 13 seasons. 

I should add I know Kroenke is part of the problem.  But don't see a scenario where he's out of the picture.  Kinda like Francesco Aquilini unfortunately.

Just as the Canucks start looking a bit better in terms of the future, Arsenal go full Canucks 2014 mode.  My sports teams suck.

Dortmund playing their 2nd leg of their Champs League tie today vs Benfica. Down 1-0 on aggregate. I think Dortmund will do just enough to win the tie and advance to the QFs. They hammered Leverkusen over the weekend and I believe they'll just carry what they had done in that match into today's but will be looking forward to catching my 1st Dortmund match live in quite a while. Go BVB!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Dortmund playing their 2nd leg of their Champs League tie today vs Benfica. Down 1-0 on aggregate. I think Dortmund will do just enough to win the tie and advance to the QFs. They hammered Leverkusen over the weekend and I believe they'll just carry what they had done in that match into today's but will be looking forward to catching my 1st Dortmund match live in quite a while. Go BVB!

ok

Just now, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Greatest comeback ever. Speechless.

Suarez is a diving bastard though.

Can't believe the ref bought what he was selling after already booking him for his earlier brutal dive.. but that being said holy ***** that was a crazy finish.

Neymar's absolute worldie free kick seemed like way too little too late, and then suddenly it wasn't.

6 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

ok

They did more than enough. Aubameyang with a brilliant match. Nice header off a Dembele corner with Pulisic delivering a sublime flick for Auba. Then Pulisic gets one himself off a nice through ball from Piszcek. After, Auba finished a one timed cross by Schmelzer into the bottom corner. Finally, Pulisic delivered yet another brilliant assist via a ground cross that found Auba for the hatty. What a match.. Not to mention the PSG choke. Barca come back from 4-0 down in the 1st leg to win a thriller. Neymar, Messi, Suarez were all brilliant along with Sergi Roberto who went on to score the winner for Barca.