The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

1 hour ago, Lateralus91 said:

Champions League quarter finals draw:

Atletico - Leicester

Dortmund - Monaco

Bayern - Real

Juventus - Barca

nice

Very intriguing... absolutely cracking match ups... at least 3 of these draws could have been potential finals... Champions league is on a winner this season.

Very good for the tournament....

PS. Anderlecht v Utd in the Euro league has a good ring to it as well....

19 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

Champions League quarter finals draw:

Atletico - Leicester

Dortmund - Monaco

Bayern - Real

Juventus - Barca

nice

Cool. Couple very intriguing matchups with Bayern-Real, Barca-Juve. Dortmund and Monaco just has goals galore written all over it. United with yet another favorable draw vs Anderlecht for EL. Maybe @spook007 can tell me more about how they play but United may have the edge yet again. We haven't even faced a real good yet like Schalke, Lyon but that might be a good thing. We probably have the easiest route to the finals

EL QFs

Anderlecht vs United

Genk vs Celta Vigo

Schalke vs Ajax

Lyon vs Besiktas

Lyon have one of our former United Depay on his top form so they look like a threat. Schalke, CV, Ajax could all be a threat for the EL title also but United is the team everyone should fear especially when Ibra catches fire. We're  virtually unstoppable. Looking forward to PL also with United facing Middlesbrough on Sunday

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beary Sweet said:

Cool. Couple very intriguing matchups with Bayern-Real, Barca-Juve. Dortmund and Monaco just has goals galore written all over it. United with yet another favorable draw vs Anderlecht for EL. Maybe @spook007 can tell me more about how they play but United may have the edge yet again. We haven't even faced a real good yet like Schalke, Lyon but that might be a good thing. We probably have the easiest route to the finals

EL QFs

Anderlecht vs United

Genk vs Celta Vigo

Schalke vs Ajax

Lyon vs Besiktas

Lyon have one of our former United Depay on his top form so they look like a threat. Schalke, CV, Ajax could all be a threat for the EL title also but United is the team everyone should fear especially when Ibra catches fire. We're  virtually unstoppable. Looking forward to PL also with United facing Middlesbrough on Sunday

Beary S. I haven't been seeing much of Anderlecht the last few years, however they lead the Belgian league, and will be no push over. Spurs got knocked out by the Belgian side Genk, who is in the middle of their league, so it will be a tough game. 

If Utd don't run out of players due to injuries and suspensions, they should win over the two legs, but I expect it to be tight. Don't expect an easy tie at all...

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Beary S. I haven't been seeing much of Anderlecht the last few years, however they lead the Belgian league, and will be no push over. Spurs got knocked out by the Belgian side Genk, who is in the middle of their league, so it will be a tough game. 

If Utd don't run out of players due to injuries and suspensions, they should win over the two legs, but I expect it to be tight. Don't expect an easy tie at all...

Ahh thanks. Just read about that also. It will be a tough battle especially with Martial, Rooney all battling injuries. Once we get them back, we will be in good shape. Right now though, we might be forced to use some of our young players in our bench for Sunday. Surprised Lingard didn't get a chance to play in EL but I think he'll start vs Brough. I'd like to see some Rashford, Borthwick Jackson maybe just to give the starters a rest. Thanks again for the report. Go United

• Upvote 1

Anderlecht can be a tale of two teams, the one team would be the team that dominated Apoel in the 1st half of the second leg. Or it could be the team that showed up in the 2nd half, uninspired and complacent. Anderlechts dangermen are easily Youri Tielemans (FIFA legend), and Łukasz Teodorczyk who's on loan from Kyiv and scored 20 goals in the Belgian Pro League. The one good thing is that when we play them, they will be in the middle of the Pro League playoffs. 

Realistically we should go through pretty easily but knowing us we will make it difficult for ourselves.

Edited by CaptainCanuck001
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

Anderlecht can be a tale of two teams, the one team would be the team that dominated Apoel in the 1st half of the second leg. Or it could be the team that showed up in the 2nd half, uninspired and complacent. Anderlechts dangermen are easily Youri Tielemans (FIFA legend), and Łukasz Teodorczyk who's on loan from Kyiv and scored 20 goals in the Belgian Pro League. The one good thing is that when we play them, they will be in the middle of the Pro League playoffs. 

Realistically we should go through pretty easily but knowing us we will make it difficult for ourselves.

Cheers Captain.

Yes Tielemans I know of, but not Lukasz... anybody who scores 20 goals needs attention.

Maybe they'll be as hard pressed, games wise, as we are going to be. 

I agree, realistically we should go through, but complacency and the inability to put the ball in the net, could make it difficult.

However, its a tie I look forward to, and with the carrot of Champion league football to the winner, its very important for us....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Ahh thanks. Just read about that also. It will be a tough battle especially with Martial, Rooney all battling injuries. Once we get them back, we will be in good shape. Right now though, we might be forced to use some of our young players in our bench for Sunday. Surprised Lingard didn't get a chance to play in EL but I think he'll start vs Brough. I'd like to see some Rashford, Borthwick Jackson maybe just to give the starters a rest. Thanks again for the report. Go United

Cheers Beary S.

I think both Lingard and Rashford will start against Boro as well as Carrick. 

Zlatan and Herrera suspended. With Pogba, Rooney, Martial and Blind injured there will be quite a few changes, and we'll be needing fresh legs.

• Upvote 1

Big clutch win today for United vs Borough 3-1. Young plays a delicious ball in for Fellaini who heads it home to kick things off half an hour through. Then absolute wonder strike by Lingard running the length of the Borough and smashes one top corner 17 minutes after half time. Finally, Valencia gets a crucial goal to seal the win after walking in on Valdes who slipped and tucked it home easily. Brilliant effort and we're finally not 6th. It's a miracle but you have to work hard and get everything tactically right and the team and Mourinho did just that. Praying for a Liverpool loss for a chance to get into the top 4 just so we have more security for Champs League. Hope we keep this going vs West Brom! Go United!

Edited by Beary Sweet

This is why the rest of us get a little tired of Man U.

Log into Sportsnet.ca to see what the story from this morning was and see 1 headline: Man United Climbs Out of Sixth Place After Middlesbrough Win. That's right, the only thing worth a headline is the 5th place team beating the team that sits 19th in the table...:rolleyes:

Meanwhile City and Liverpool were battling for third, while Spurs beat 10th place Southampton to stay in second.

Manchester United: The Toronto Maple Leafs of the EPL <_<

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Log into Sportsnet.ca to see what the story from this morning was and see 1 headline: Man United Climbs Out of Sixth Place After Middlesbrough Win. That's right, the only thing worth a headline is the 5th place team beating the team that sits 19th in the table...:rolleyes:

Meanwhile City and Liverpool were battling for third, while Spurs beat 10th place Southampton to stay in second.

That's what happens when you're the big fish though. 

12 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

That's what happens when you're the big fish though. 

Agreed. Don't have to like it though....

It's a lot like how every golf tournament has to lead with how Tiger was doing before missing the cut, or withdrawing due to injury.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Already denied. Don't see a reason why we would let him go. He's under contract for one more year and recent reports (more credible than BILD) hint that he wants to extend after the season is over. If I were Arsenal, I would look towards Laudrup.

18 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I see your point, but sportsnet.ca is a really terrible website for soccer coverage and their headlines don't make sense. Did you click the article? Sportsnet usually just bunches all their major stories into one article. United was just named in the title because they're more popular than City and Tottenham and therefore more likely to get more clicks.

It could also be even less cynical than that: I'm pretty sure the United game ended first, so they probably published that (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/manchester-united-climbs-sixth-place-middlesbrough-win/) summary, then added to it as the morning went.

1 minute ago, GLASSJAW said:

I see your point, but sportsnet.ca is a really terrible website for soccer coverage and their headlines don't make sense. Did you click the article? Sportsnet usually just bunches all their major stories into one article. United was just named in the title because they're more popular than City and Tottenham and therefore more likely to get more clicks.

It could also be even less cynical than that: I'm pretty sure the United game ended first, so they probably published that (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/manchester-united-climbs-sixth-place-middlesbrough-win/) summary, then added to it as the morning went.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I generally just google EPL scores, but in this case I had both Sportsnet and TSN open and decided to check the football situation. Both sites were running the Man U match as their top story.