The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

5 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Today would have been an awesome day to be at Juventus stadium...

Oh man, pvr'd the game and just finished watching it a few minutes ago. The atmosphere at the game was unreal. Juve puts on a whole laser light show before the game to ramp up the fans and atmosphere. 

My cousins live in Vicenza and are huge Inter fans. I've been giving them the gears on Facebook for the last hour. Of course they're still sleeping and won't be reading my rants for a few more hours.

Ciao.

Edited by MJDDawg
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Brutal news regarding these explosions on the Dortmund's team bus. thankfully everyone is fine and hopefully Marc Bartra's recovery goes smoothly. cheering for Dortmund once more as they should be hungry to bounce after their Der Klassiker loss this past weekend vs Bayern @Lateralus91

on another note, Juve are on absolute fire and continued where they left off in Serie A with another win. I really want them to win as Dybala is becoming one of the best players in soccer but with Barca at Camp Nou, you just never know (look at PSG collapse in Round of 16). would love for Juve to edge out Barca as it gets one Spanish giant out of the way.

I wouldn't expect Juve to melt down like PSG did. For most of the match, they held a pretty flat 4-4-2 with all their players inside their own half of the pitch when Barcelona had the ball, much like Atletico Madrid usually does. I'd bet on seeing more of the same in the second leg since they managed to limit Barcelona to 3 shots on target, although like you said, Barca is a different team at home.

Always interesting to see the distribution of fans in this thread. Usually it's a collection of Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, and BVB supporters, but usually there isn't this much of a Juve fan presence here.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

CDC needs more Italians on here.

It wasn't that long ago that the Azzurri were starting to look old and the soccer world was talking about how we could only play great defensive soccer with little offensive flair and creativity.  You're bang on with the number of stud youngsters coming up. We showed glimpses of that speed and creativity in Brazil so I'm already looking forward to what our team will look like over the next couple of years.

Francesco Aquilini is an avid soccer fan. His whole family. I went to UBC with his brother Roberto. I should tell him to start posting here. That would be cool...  B)

6 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

It looks amazing. I want to take my Nonno and his brother to Italy for Euro 2020 (god willing, they are getting up there in age) and I assume they will play at least one match there. Probably at San Siro too.

I picked them at the stat of the season, the deepest squad in the world IMO. As for La Nazionale, I just hope we can get to the WC. Even though we have a fantastic mix of young talent and veteran class, a playoff scares me. If we get there, I have no doubt we will be a top contender. You never no, Balotelli could turn it around and be a part of the mix.

@MJDDawg @Harvey Spector where in Italy are you from?

Oh man, hopefully it all works out and you can get there with your family Reggie. Would be memories of a lifetime for you and your nonno. 

As for the National team, they'll be there and hopefully they'll do some damage. I've suffered too many World Cup heart breaks over the years to have high expectations.

I'm first generation here, but my dad's from Vicenza and mom's from Calabria believe it or not. Complete opposite ends of the country.

And you guys?

1 minute ago, Harvey Spector said:

Francesco Aquilini is an avid soccer fan. His whole family. I went to UBC with his brother Roberto. I should tell him to start posting here. That would be cool...  B)

That would be awesome.  We might need to start an Italian thread on here. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

It looks amazing. I want to take my Nonno and his brother to Italy for Euro 2020 (god willing, they are getting up there in age) and I assume they will play at least one match there. Probably at San Siro too.

I picked them at the stat of the season, the deepest squad in the world IMO. As for La Nazionale, I just hope we can get to the WC. Even though we have a fantastic mix of young talent and veteran class, a playoff scares me. If we get there, I have no doubt we will be a top contender. You never no, Balotelli could turn it around and be a part of the mix.

@MJDDawg @Harvey Spector where in Italy are you from?

My parents were born in Salerno off the Amalfi Coast. They came to Vancouver in the late 1950's. I was born in Vancouver. I have relatives in Milano and Roma. Hope to visit Italia in the next year or so. Would love to go to Torino to watch a game at Juventus Stadium. Would also like to go to San Siro as my best friend is a Milanista. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Oh man, pvr'd the game and just finished watching it a few minutes ago. The atmosphere at the game was unreal. Juve puts on a whole laser light show before the game to ramp up the fans and atmosphere. 

My cousins live in Vicenza and are huge Inter fans. I've been giving them the gears on Facebook for the last hour. Of course they're still sleeping and won't be reading my rants for a few more hours.

Ciao.

It would suck to be an Inter fan right now. B)

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

I wouldn't expect Juve to melt down like PSG did. For most of the match, they held a pretty flat 4-4-2 with all their players inside their own half of the pitch when Barcelona had the ball, much like Atletico Madrid usually does. I'd bet on seeing more of the same in the second leg since they managed to limit Barcelona to 3 shots on target, although like you said, Barca is a different team at home.

Always interesting to see the distribution of fans in this thread. Usually it's a collection of Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, and BVB supporters, but usually there isn't this much of a Juve fan presence here.

Juve starts with a 4-2-3-1 with Dybala in behind Higuain and Mandzukic and Cuadrado out wide. That's what killed Barca today, was the work of Cuadrado and Mandzukic out wide. And Dani Alves and Alex Sandro had an amazing game and kept the ball on the flanks.  Once they were up 3-0 they switched to a 4-4-2 and then their favoured 3-5-2 formation with Chiellini, Bonucci and Barzagli at the back. The 3-5-2 was what Antonio Conte perfected but Max Allegri created this new 4-2-3-1 which has allowed Juve to be prolific offensively and allowed them to score goals as well as defend. 

Once Buffon made that save on Iniesta, the game was over. Look for him to have a legendary game at Camp Nou next week. Today was a masterclass by Allegri. Top 3 coach in the world. 

Edited by Harvey Spector
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

My parents were born in Salerno off the Amalfi Coast. They came to Vancouver in the late 1950's. I was born in Vancouver. I have relatives in Milano and Roma. Hope to visit Italia in the next year or so. Would love to go to Torino to watch a game at Juventus Stadium. Would also like to go to San Siro as my best friend is a Milanista. 

Nice. And a beautiful part of Italy. My parents came to Vancouver around that same time as well (after taking the train from Halifax of course).

1 minute ago, MJDDawg said:

Nice. And a beautiful part of Italy. My parents came to Vancouver around that same time as well (after taking the train from Halifax of course).

Haha, my parents took the train from Halifax as well. Maybe they were on the same boat. B)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Juve starts with a 4-2-3-1 with Dybala in behind Higuain and Mandzukic and Cuadrado out wide. That's what killed Barca today, was the work of Cuadrado and Mandzukic out wide. And Dani Alves and Alex Sandro had an amazing game and kept the ball on the flanks.  Once they were up 3-0 they switched to a 4-4-2 and then their favoured 3-5-2 formation with Chiellini, Bonucci and Barzagli at the back. The 3-5-2 was what Antonio Conte perfected but Max Allegri created this new 4-2-3-1 which has allowed Juve to be prolific offensively and allowed them to score goals as well as defend. 

Once Buffon made that save on Iniesta, the game was over. Look for him to have a legendary game at Camp Nou next week. Today was a masterclass by Allegri. Top 3 coach in the world. 

I noticed that they were starting with four defenders instead of their usual three but didn't keep too much track of how they were arranging their midfield so thanks for correcting me on that. Barcelona had two-thirds of the possession today but never really seemed comfortable on the ball largely in part to what you just said.

13 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Oh man, hopefully it all works out and you can get there with your family Reggie. Would be memories of a lifetime for you and your nonno. 

As for the National team, they'll be there and hopefully they'll do some damage. I've suffered too many World Cup heart breaks over the years to have high expectations.

I'm first generation here, but my dad's from Vicenza and mom's from Calabria believe it or not. Complete opposite ends of the country.

And you guys?

I am 3 quarters. My mom is full, with her dad from Castions (20 km from Pordenone). Her mom is from Treviso. My dad is half, with his mom being second generation, her parents moved from Italy after WW1 to the Crowsnest Past and they are from Avellino.

1 minute ago, Brad Marchand said:

I noticed that they were starting with four defenders instead of their usual three but didn't keep too much track of how they were arranging their midfield so thanks for correcting me on that. Barcelona had two-thirds of the possession today but never really seemed comfortable on the ball largely in part to what you just said.

It's hard to get a full read on the formation that Juve uses as Dybala is allowed to roam free all over the pitch. But it is usually a structured 4-2-3-1 to start and then depending on how the game goes Allegri changes it up. He really is a great coach. I hope he wins the Champions League this year. He deserves to be up there with Ancelotti, Guardiola and Mourinho. 

I know you can never right off Barca because of the immense talent they possess, but this tie is over. Juve has allowed 2 goals all tournament, Barca need 4. The last time Buffon allowed 4 goals in a game was 5 years ago in the Euro final.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

I am 3 quarters. My mom is full, with her dad from Castions (20 km from Pordenone). Her mom is from Treviso. My dad is half, with his mom being second generation, her parents moved from Italy after WW1 to the Crowsnest Past and they are from Avellino.

Nice. I love hearing the stories of how the first waves of Italians came here and where they ended up.

8 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

I know you can never right off Barca because of the immense talent they possess, but this tie is over. Juve has allowed 2 goals all tournament, Barca need 4. The last time Buffon allowed 4 goals in a game was 5 years ago in the Euro final.

I'm not worried about playing Barca at home. Remember Juve almost beat Bayern in Munich last year and scored the first two goals. And the year prior we tied Real in Madrid in the second leg to advance to the final. 

Edited by Harvey Spector
  • Upvote 2