The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

10 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

k51p5N.gif achiev

Wasn't our best game and credit to Aberdeen for pushing us to the absolute limit, but 47 games undefeated is a brilliant achievement regardless of the opposition.

Fantastic achievement.... But feel for the Dons.

Celtic will win the league the next 5 years at least, and probably most of the cups too, so I had hoped the Dons could have nicked this one, despite the huge financial advantage of Celtic. Dons gave as good as they got, but ran out of steam in the last 20 minutes and Celtic deserved their victory. Great advertisement for the Scottish game. Proper football match.

13 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Fantastic achievement.... But feel for the Dons.

Celtic will win the league the next 5 years at least, and probably most of the cups too, so I had hoped the Dons could have nicked this one, despite the huge financial advantage of Celtic. Dons gave as good as they got, but ran out of steam in the last 20 minutes and Celtic deserved their victory. Great advertisement for the Scottish game. Proper football match.

Yeah, I felt for them a little. Clearly the second best in Scotland this season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

This is exactly the the type of player I would love to see at utd. Would bring the excitement back to the games. +1

There are rumblings out of Madrid of him being tired of being in Ronaldo's shadow he showed at the Euros for Wales that he can be the talisman for a team.

Would be a great fit.

• Upvote 1

some nice clips and coverage of Totti's game farewell yesterday. never cared much for Roma, but I remember seeing him play for Italy a lot back in the day. very talented guy. 

people in the stands weeping as if their mother has died

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

some nice clips and coverage of Totti's game farewell yesterday. never cared much for Roma, but I remember seeing him play for Italy a lot back in the day. very talented guy. 

Yeah. I'm going to miss the guy. As what was mentioned in an article I read, he is Roma. 25 years in his hometown, showed his loyalty to the city of Roma and the team. Even though stars like Cafu, Emerson left, Totti remained content and wanted to continue winning trophies for Roma which he did. He once won the Golden Boot in Serie A in '07 I believe and they played a striker less formation of 4-6-0. That's unreal. And it's only one of his many bright spots in his legendary career. He's probably in my top 5 of All Time Soccer Greats. 

2 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

The guy has been a part of the Roma set up for 30 years. Grown men have never seen a Roma team where Totti has not featured. I am not a Roma supporter, but it was definitely a game that I PVRed and will keep for a while. 

Tuchel sacking confirmed.

Media reports that aside from Lucien Favre (meh) Paulo Sousa (please no), Niko Kovac (dear god, no) and Peter Bosz (yes, yes and yes again) are amongst the rumours for Tuchel's succession.

I will consider supporting Schalke if our new coach is either Sousa or Kovac (not sure yet if 100% ironic).

Just some fun facts about Tuchel:

Best point average of every BVB coach ever

Has not lost a Bundesliga home match in his time at BVB

But yeah, fire the guy. :picard:

Edited by Lateralus91

I think his tactics have been questionable at times, especially this season, but that's to be expected from a young coach. 

I find it farcical that he's essentially going to be leaving because two grown men had a bit of a spat. Favre looks like the best of a mediocre bunch. Had Gladbach playing some decent football the season before he was sacked but terribly inconsistent and a bit mental.

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck

55 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I think his tactics have been questionable at times, especially this season, but that's to be expected from a young coach. 

I find it farcical that he's essentially going to be leaving because two grown men had a bit of a spat. Favre looks like the best of a mediocre bunch. Had Gladbach playing some decent football the season before he was sacked but terribly inconsistent and a bit mental.

Yeah, maybe. But they've been successful and that's about all that matters. Even when he made mistakes he tried to correct them immediately within the course of a game. That takes some knowledge and some cojones to see and admit that. Tuchel hinted a couple of times at the team not being as good as some may think it is. And to an extent, I agree. This team is by far the most talented team we have ever had. But most of those players are either incredibly young (Dembélé, Pulisic, Weigl, Guerreiro) or don't have as much experience for the necessary consistency (Bartra). Some have just been career-long streaky players (Schmelzer, Castro, Kagawa) or injured a lot (Reus).

The rest of your assessment I concur, especially the last half sentence. :lol:

My (realistic) favourites would be Michael Laudrup or Peter Bosz from Ajax. But our board unfortunately isn't that creative when it comes to coaches.

according to sources in Madrid, Griezmann has submitted his transfer request

Guess that means United won't have to hit the outrageous clause?

edit: nevermind, just reading this on reddit and other "sources" are saying Griezmann is just using United as leverage to negotiate a new contract. 

so I guess it's still just up in the air - believe it when it happens

Edited by GLASSJAW

1 hour ago, GLASSJAW said:

edit: nevermind, just reading this on reddit and other "sources" are saying Griezmann is just using United as leverage to negotiate a new contract. 

He just signed a new contract last year to move his release clause to €100M, so that doesn't make any sense. 

48 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

He just signed a new contract last year to move his release clause to €100M, so that doesn't make any sense. 

2 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

https://www.thescore.com/liga/news/1310376

he has submitted a transfer request and its only a matter of time United officially submits a bid. City are already throwing their money around. I like Liverpool's signing of Solanke from Chelsea even though I'm not a Liverpool fan. He's been a force from what I've heard in the youth levels. Carrick extended his contract so we're good in midfield for the time being. We really need help up front and with Rooney potentially being shown the door, we have the funds to add Griezmann plus a defender as insurance since Rojo may need some time to recover. We may also need a backup to Romero but I really want De Gea to stay and remain the #1 choice. He's the keeper we need for C/L. It's going to be busy summer emptying our pockets so time to buckle up 

https://www.thescore.com/epl/news/1311097

lot is riding tomorrow. If Atletico' transfer ban is upheld, then Atletico could be forced to keep Griezmann. If it is reversed, then he can easily be on his way to United. Atletico have already come to terms with Lacazette as mentioned awhile ago here so they already have a replacement in mind. He has a €100 mill release clause but to United that's loose change haha. Apparently they had a agreement to €15 mill salary in the January transfer window and just didn't get into any fruition. The deal will probably be announced this summer. 

Other news, Madrid made a bid of €60 million for De Gea but United rejected. He's probably our 3rd best keeper in United history behind Schmeichel and Van der Sar so I'm hoping we keep him. Keepers like him don't come around often

On 5/30/2017 at 4:55 AM, Lateralus91 said:

Tuchel sacking confirmed.

Media reports that aside from Lucien Favre (meh) Paulo Sousa (please no), Niko Kovac (dear god, no) and Peter Bosz (yes, yes and yes again) are amongst the rumours for Tuchel's succession.

I will consider supporting Schalke if our new coach is either Sousa or Kovac (not sure yet if 100% ironic).

Just some fun facts about Tuchel:

Best point average of every BVB coach ever

Has not lost a Bundesliga home match in his time at BVB

But yeah, fire the guy. :picard:

I hear he was causing problems with the head scout.  You know, the one that has scouted all the great talent for Dortmund.

11 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I hear he was causing problems with the head scout.  You know, the one that has scouted all the great talent for Dortmund.

There were problems with Mislintat, yes. I think it involved the topic of a potential transfer of Oliver Torres. Tuchel wanted him, Mislintat didn't. Not really solely Tuchel's fault. Personally, I thought at the time we needed a player like Torres. Eventually we got a similar player in Mahmoud Dahoud, allegedly also at Tuchel's request. Unfortunately we won't get to see him under Tuchel.

Also, Mislintat isn't the only one responsible for transfers. That has always been a thing between him, sporting director Zorc, CEO Watzke and the coach.

Paulo Sousa will probably sign with Porto. Favre remains favourite, then Stöger (Cologne) and Bosz. Still hoping for Bosz, if we don't get Favre.