The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

Dzeko who never did anything against us in the Premier League just put 2 past us at the Bridge. Former City players burning us. Highlights how important Kante is for us, we never concede this much at home. Hazard equalizes as I am typing this. 

Edited by Toews

2 hours ago, Toews said:

Dzeko who never did anything against us in the Premier League just put 2 past us at the Bridge. Former City players burning us. Highlights how important Kante is for us, we never concede this much at home. Hazard equalizes as I am typing this. 

And its not even Roma's best team playing

A massive 3 points for Utd after all the doom last week.

Kane missing for Spurs made it easier for Utd, who could be done with Pogba returning.

Will be at Old Trafford Tuesday to watch Utd v Benfica in Champions league. Hopefully a hatful of goals for us. :)

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

On 10/28/2017 at 10:03 AM, spook007 said:

A massive 3 points for Utd after all the doom last week.

Kane missing for Spurs made it easier for Utd, who could be done with Pogba returning.

Will be at Old Trafford Tuesday to watch Utd v Benfica in Champions league. Hopefully a hatful of goals for us. :)

Ecstatic to see the team doing so well. It's going to be tough to win the title with City's blistering start but we are right there not that far off and definitely a title contender. 

Enjoy the match! It's always been a dream of mine to watch a match in OT. Hope they put on a phenomenal performance and reel in another 3 points!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Cheers Beary... i’ll sing along for the both of us on Tuesday.... 

Champions league games are brilliant. ::D

Yeah indeed. Their theme song is legendary! Love it. This could be our year for either league title or Champs League. Mou has them playing good, up tempo soccer and really good defensively. Martial has been a revelation also. Great to have seen him net the winner even though I didn't catch the match. How were they? I was actually asleep and had work yesterday also. Games are so early :lol:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beary Sweet said:

Yeah indeed. Their theme song is legendary! Love it. This could be our year for either league title or Champs League. Mou has them playing good, up tempo soccer and really good defensively. Martial has been a revelation also. Great to have seen him net the winner even though I didn't catch the match. How were they? I was actually asleep and had work yesterday also. Games are so early :lol:

First half were not sparkling, but good in the second half. Lukaku hit the post before Martial scored the winner. It was one of these games where the result was more important than the performance. But we deserved the win, I think...just. Could really be done with getting Pogba back.

Regardless I shall be all smiles as always. :)

PS a bit like me for the Canucks games starting 7pm pacific time. They start at 3am here, so it can be quite daunting getting to watch and then work afterwards... :)

• Upvote 1

On 10/29/2017 at 3:47 PM, spook007 said:

First half were not sparkling, but good in the second half. Lukaku hit the post before Martial scored the winner. It was one of these games where the result was more important than the performance. But we deserved the win, I think...just. Could really be done with getting Pogba back.

Regardless I shall be all smiles as always. :)

PS a bit like me for the Canucks games starting 7pm pacific time. They start at 3am here, so it can be quite daunting getting to watch and then work afterwards... :)

Haha awesome to hear that! Great to see them really doing well. I'm hoping they keep it rolling. I'm more interested in how they do in Champs League. We're cruising through our group so far but I'm looking ahead to who we may face up against. Some of Europe's top squads. Definitely a daunting task. We are definitely working our way towards that but not sure if we are. We don't spend money or have the finances that clubs like Bayern, Juve, PSG, and Madrid have and tossing money around like candy. However, I heard Forbes named United most valuable team in the world. That was a while ago so we may be among one of the most wealthiest. I knew we were wealthy but idk if we're like Bayern, Madrid wealthy you know lol.. I like our chances though. Madrid struggling in league, Bayern a bit. PSG is probably the scariest team right now to play against. If we one of the two major trophies, I'd be happy. Would be one of our best accomplishments since the Alex Fergie days.

yeah lol.. so true. Good thing they replay matches here and I managed to watch a bit of the match. It looked really rainy and the pitch was drenched. I didn't get to finish since I was watching the World Series with my family also but great to see them steal a big win. Now we wait for City to stumble:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beary Sweet said:

Haha awesome to hear that! Great to see them really doing well. I'm hoping they keep it rolling. I'm more interested in how they do in Champs League. We're cruising through our group so far but I'm looking ahead to who we may face up against. Some of Europe's top squads. Definitely a daunting task. We are definitely working our way towards that but not sure if we are. We don't spend money or have the finances that clubs like Bayern, Juve, PSG, and Madrid have and tossing money around like candy. However, I heard Forbes named United most valuable team in the world. That was a while ago so we may be among one of the most wealthiest. I knew we were wealthy but idk if we're like Bayern, Madrid wealthy you know lol.. I like our chances though. Madrid struggling in league, Bayern a bit. PSG is probably the scariest team right now to play against. If we one of the two major trophies, I'd be happy. Would be one of our best accomplishments since the Alex Fergie days.

yeah lol.. so true. Good thing they replay matches here and I managed to watch a bit of the match. It looked really rainy and the pitch was drenched. I didn't get to finish since I was watching the World Series with my family also but great to see them steal a big win. Now we wait for City to stumble:rolleyes:

Literally every Premier League club has more money to spend from TV money than any other club in Europe with the exceptions of Real, Barca, PSG and maybe Juventus and Bayern. They have the most lucrative TV deal in all of football. Even the 20th place in Premier League pays more money than the first place in any other league in Europe. And Man Utd is probably on of the Top 3 most renowned clubs in football, so there will probably a lot of money they will get for jersey sales, sponsorship deals, ticket sales and so on. In 2015-16 Man Utd ranked No.1 in most revenue for European football clubs according to Deloitte.

That's one of the reasons why I've been criticizing English clubs for such a long time. They have by far the most money in Europe and were abysmal internationally until 1-2 years ago. Since the new influx of foreign coaches like Pep, they seem to come along. There are 12 (!) English teams in the Top 30 clubs with most revenue in 2015-16.

Further reading:

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/premier-league-prize-money/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deloitte_Football_Money_League

Edited by Lateralus91
  • Upvote 2