The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Wow!  That’s a shocking stat.  Does Chelsea pound him with big backs or something?  He’s so good on set pieces, I thought he would have at least one goal.  

It’s a strange stat. With all his goals you would think he would have scored at least one against Chelsea.

Fun fact, Messi never ever scored against Gigi Buffon (Juventus goalie) until this year. Gigi is 40 and has been playing for upwards of 20 years. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

You better... Your team is real. Incredible run they are on.

Congrats...as much as it hurts.

I know but I still can't believe it's happening. I felt this team had it in them, but at the same time I keep thinking there will be a return to typical city.

thanks. I don't think I would be able to offer congrats if this was the other way around.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, otherwise said:

I know but I still can't believe it's happening. I felt this team had it in them, but at the same time I keep thinking there will be a return to typical city.

thanks. I don't think I would be able to offer congrats if this was the other way around.

You have no idea how hard it is....

• Upvote 1

On 12/23/2017 at 11:08 AM, ReggieBush said:

Messi is the greatest player I have ever seen.

I barely remember seeing Pele, but I vividly remember seeing the likes of Cruyff, (my all-time favorite footballer) Van Basten, Beckenbauer, Platini, Maradona, Zidane and Gerd Muller. Messi is up there with all of them.

I still put Pele at #1 though....and as much as I can't stand the guy, Maradona is probably second on my list.

Edited by RUPERTKBD

31 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I barely remember seeing Pele, but I vividly remember seeing the likes of Cruyff, (my all-time favorite footballer) Van Basten, Beckenbauer, Platini, Maradona, Zidane and Gerd Muller and Messi is up there with all of them. (probably ahead, although I'd only grudgingly put him ahead of JC^_^)

I still put Pele at #1 though....and as much as I can't stand the guy, Maradona is probably second on my list.

i'll never get the pele hype. i say that as someone who never got to watch him personally, i admit. i've seen plenty of footage and compilation stuff, though, and none of it looks very impressive by the standards i've witnessed in my lifetime - let alone today's. in fact, some of it looks downright unimpressive -- and i know, the same could be said about any sport, since they all evolve. but the cynic in me wonders if the conversation about Pele to be perpetuated by nostalgia and his (inflated) goal record rather than anyone ACTUALLY believing he could keep pace with Messi or Ronaldo today, or Fat Ronaldo and Rivaldo of yesterday

Maradonna, on the other hand, i've seen way more of and he does look like he could complete with anyone in today's game

granted, i also have to concede that Pele achieved what he did (scoring boat loads of goals in brazilian league) in terrible conditions (heavy ball, questionable pitches, questionable boots, etc. did they even have cards back then?). i just will never understand the pele hype without seeing it myself

this video does a pretty good job of showing his strong playmaking abilities though:

Edited by GLASSJAW

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Did you see Suarez's finish where he curled it into the top corner. I swear it was moving in slow motion

Agreed, that was brilliant. Amazing comeback by them as well, La Liga is pretty much wrapped up already. With how poor Chelsea have been this season I have zero hopes that they will survive this tie. 

On 12/23/2017 at 11:08 AM, ReggieBush said:

Messi is the greatest player I have ever seen.

Maradona is the greatest player I have ever watched.  Single handedly won Argentina a World Cup and scored one of the greatest goals ever in one of the biggest matches ever.  Meanwhile Messi has choked time and time again on the world scene.  Maradona also took an average Napoli team to greatness and won Napoli's only two scudetti ever.

Messi is an incredible player, top 3 all time for sure, but Maradona for me is the greatest ever...