The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

• 2 weeks later...

As I've stated many times before, I am decidedly not a fan of Italian Football, but this is a blow to the sport:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/04/football/italian-footballer-fiorentina-davide-astori-dies/index.html

Italy's top football league postponed its Sunday games to mourn the loss of Fiorentina captain and Italy international Davide Astori, whose team said he died of sudden illness at the age of 31.

"Fiorentina is deeply shocked, and has to communicate that its captain Davide Astori has passed away," the Florence team said in a tweet. "Because of the terrible and delicate situation, and most of all for the respect due to his family, we make an appeal to everybody's sensitiveness."
Additional details were not immediately available. ANSA, the Italian news wire, reported Astori died of "cardiocirculatory arrest" while staying with his Fiorentina teammates at the Best Western Hotel Là di Moret in Udine. Fiorentina was slated to play Udinese on Sunday, one of seven Serie A fixtures postponed for the week.

31 is way too young....:(

Astori's death is truly saddening.  I really rated him.  May he rest in peace <3

--

On an unrelated note, it would be nice if Arsenal could liquidate and start over from non-league since I'm not sure what the last three weeks have been.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As I've stated many times before, I am decidedly not a fan of Italian Football, but this is a blow to the sport:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/04/football/italian-footballer-fiorentina-davide-astori-dies/index.html

31 is way too young....:(

Insane because I woke up early to watch my club (Udinese) play Fiorentina today. Without looking at my phone I went to the stream site and heard the news on the broadcast. I never rated him as a player all that much, but I understand he was well respected across the Football world and just had a daughter recently. Prayers to his family, friends, and the Fiorentina family. RIP Davide

Some of the questions in this interview are just cringeworthy, like bringing the man's kids into this. In the end she managed to make him out to be a sympathetic figure. I am on to you 'fake sports' media.

*chant* FIRE HIM NOW! *chant*