The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

11 minutes ago, Bizarre said:

You can't just look at the missed calls on your side and forget about the bad calls that went in your favour. 

Salah was offside in the first leg by 2 yards leading to a goal. Dzeko was wrongfully called offside, which led to karius taking him down in the box which would have resulted in a Penalty. Alexander-Arnold pulled a Luis Suarez on the line, no call. 

Where were Liverpool screwed over by the officials?

11 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Salah was offside in the first leg by 2 yards leading to a goal. Dzeko was wrongfully called offside, which led to karius taking him down in the box which would have resulted in a Penalty. Alexander-Arnold pulled a Luis Suarez on the line, no call. 

Liverpool is fortunate and Trent’s was a penalty but that’s nothing compared to Suárez in the World Cup. 

2 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

I never said they were screwed over, a bad call doesn't mean you're screwed over. There were numerous situations where LFC could have been awarded a penalty/free kick in a promising position. 

Salah was offside by two yards? Where? I'm not sure you realize how big of a distance two yards is.

TAA pulled a Suarez, really? The hyperbole is real. Penalty for sure though.

The penalty on Milner in the first leg was harsh. Most pundits seem to agree

The penalty on Klavan was horrid.

Mane was shoved in the 8th minute or so, should have been a penalty.

Gini was taken out right on the outside of the box/perhaps inside the box. Should have at least been a free kick.

LFC were the better team over the two legs, they got a few breaks today but I don't think I would say that is the reason they won. The decision with Dzeko was razor thin, 5 inches before the ball is struck he is offside, but it looks like he is level when contact is made. Tough for the linesman but appears the wrong call.

Edit: Dzeko also appears to be offside on the second Roma goal.

Edit2: Forgot about that hideous tackle by Florenzi, could have been a straight red. Also didn't like Robertson throwing him out of bounds but I think that might have been payback.

Had a blast watching the match with 250 LFC fans downtown. My ears are still ringing.

Bring on Madrid.

Edited by Bizarre
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bizarre said:

I never said they were screwed over, a bad call doesn't mean you're screwed over. There were numerous situations where LFC could have been awarded a penalty/free kick in a promising position. 

Salah was offside by two yards? Where? I'm not sure you realize how big of a distance two yards is. 

TAA pulled a Suarez, really? The hyperbole is real. Penalty for sure though.

The penalty on Milner in the first leg was harsh. Most pundits seem to agree

The penalty on Klavan was horrid.

Mane was shoved in the 8th minute or so, should have been a penalty.

Gini was taken out right on the outside of the box/perhaps inside the box. Should have at least been a free kick.

LFC were the better team over the two legs, they got a few breaks today but I don't think I would say that is the reason they won. The decision with Dzeko was razor thin, 5 inches before the ball is struck he is offside, but it looks like he is level when contact is made. Tough for the linesman but appears the wrong call.

Edit: Dzeko also appears to be offside on the second Roma goal.

Edit2: Forgot about that hideous tackle by Florenzi, could have been a straight red. Also didn't like Robertson throwing him out of bounds but I think that might have been payback.

Had a blast watching the match with 250 LFC fans downtown. My ears are still ringing.

Bring on Madrid.

1. Salah was clearly offside. Not by 2 yards, but it was clear

2. Milner extended his arm into the path of the ball, he knew what he was doing

3. Klavan Penalty was bull, I will agree with that. But if you give the Alexander Arnold penalty, it changes the outlook of the match completely.

4. If they give that penalty to Mane, we need to revaluate the way our game is played and officiated.

5. Florenzi should have gotten a red if he didn't make contact with the ball (rightfully so), but he very clearly did, thus proves that he attempted to play the ball. 

6. Wijaldum was fouled outside of the box, should have been a FK.

7. Dzeko was exactly in-line with Van Dijik. His knee is on line with Van Dijik's shoulder.

Long story short, VAR needs to be in every league in the world. Is it perfect? Not yet, no. We still have to work out the kinks. But when the Premier League, and UCL refuse to institute it, they are hurting the game.

30 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

1. Salah was clearly offside. Not by 2 yards, but it was clear

2. Milner extended his arm into the path of the ball, he knew what he was doing

3. Klavan Penalty was bull, I will agree with that. But if you give the Alexander Arnold penalty, it changes the outlook of the match completely.

4. If they give that penalty to Mane, we need to revaluate the way our game is played and officiated.

5. Florenzi should have gotten a red if he didn't make contact with the ball (rightfully so), but he very clearly did, thus proves that he attempted to play the ball. 

6. Wijaldum was fouled outside of the box, should have been a FK.

7. Dzeko was exactly in-line with Van Dijik. His knee is on line with Van Dijik's shoulder.

Long story short, VAR needs to be in every league in the world. Is it perfect? Not yet, no. We still have to work out the kinks. But when the Premier League, and UCL refuse to institute it, they are hurting the game.

1) He appears to be offside, and I am quite certain he is. I had a problem with all of the hyperbole you were using in your post. I will say the quality of the photos and the angel the camera is on doesn't make it easy. 

2) Agree to disagree, Milner is running and closing down the shot. Once again most pundits I saw thought this was a very harsh penalty. 

3) The game changes with each decision... this was a complete consolation goal.

4) I've seen penalties for much less be given.A lot of people think this was a penalty.

5) Agree to disagree. Like if you go through someone with your studs up even if you clip the ball a red is likely.

6) Very promising position, yellow card potentially as well. Thems the breaks..

7) I think we're talking about two different things. I am talking about the goal he scored that counted. His foot was sticking out past the last defender it appears. When I got home I went frame for frame on the one that was called offside and Karius took down Dzeko and it was the wrong call. 

I agree with your last point. They need to come to some sort of middle ground on VAR. Some goals are worth hundreds of millions of dollars and it's unacceptable under those circumstances to have them  incorrectly called.

Roma showed a lot of heart and had a great run. It was nice to see them knock off Barca. Real is clearly the favourite for the final but so was AC Milan in Istanbul. I'm looking forward to cheering my team on.

Edited by Bizarre

24 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Madrid threepeat incoming

Yeah, I don't know. We always looked very good under Klopp against Real. Plus Liverpool has a way more clinical attack than Bayern.

One way or the other, it's bound to be entertaining.

23 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

That's hilarious :lol:

There's almost been an unwillingness from them to acknowledge that Sunday even happened. They haven't even spoken to the media and broke league rules in not doing so :lol:

On the subject of Liverpool I think they deserved to go through, even considering a few poor decisions. But as has already been stated the Klavan incident was never a penalty and Florenzi was lucky to escape a red for that horror challenge.

Liverpool are probably the only English team I actually kind of like and they play a very appealing style similar to Klopp's teams of 2010-2013, so I hope they beat Madrid.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 5/3/2018 at 7:28 AM, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

There's almost been an unwillingness from them to acknowledge that Sunday even happened. They haven't even spoken to the media and broke league rules in not doing so :lol:

On the subject of Liverpool I think they deserved to go through, even considering a few poor decisions. But as has already been stated the Klavan incident was never a penalty and Florenzi was lucky to escape a red for that horror challenge.

Liverpool are probably the only English team I actually kind of like and they play a very appealing style similar to Klopp's teams of 2010-2013, so I hope they beat Madrid.

I agree that Liverpool deserved to go through (although I do not believe that they are a better team). However that does not excuse the way the match's were officiated. For example, Karius taking down Dzeko in the box, that is perhaps a red as well as a penalty. The Alexander-Arnold handball is a red and a penalty. These are critical calls within the flow of the game that need to be called regardless of the scoreline. It could have changed the tie. Florenzi doesn't make that challenge if they are down 2 instead of 3 (which he very clearly made because he was frustrated). 

On topic of the Gerrard to Rangers, it doesn't make sense to me either. He will almost surely be fired within 2 years.

2 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Steven Gerrard getting added to the most hated list. Shame

Stupid of him to take the job and stupid of them to offer him a 4 year contract. They never learn.

I'm shocked Gerrard is going to Rangers as well. 

Im surprised he didn't step in under Klopp with Buvac leaving. 

30 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

I agree that Liverpool deserved to go through (although I do not believe that they are a better team). However that does not excuse the way the match's were officiated. For example, Karius taking down Dzeko in the box, that is perhaps a red as well as a penalty. The Alexander-Arnold handball is a red and a penalty. These are critical calls within the flow of the game that need to be called regardless of the scoreline. It could have changed the tie. Florenzi doesn't make that challenge if they are down 2 instead of 3 (which he very clearly made because he was frustrated). 

On topic of the Gerrard to Rangers, it doesn't make sense to me either. He will almost surely be fired within 2 years.

I won't argue with you who the better team is. I don't think we'll get anywhere.

If the play with Dzeko was not called offside, Karius should have received a yellow. That is never a red card.

TAA should have also received a penalty and a yellow card. He is flailing as he approached the Roma player, however turns away and starts pulling his hands back into his body. 

I do enjoy how you make excuses for a horrendous tackle that could have seriously injured Mane.

28 minutes ago, Bizarre said:

I won't argue with you who the better team is. I don't think we'll get anywhere.

If the play with Dzeko was not called offside, Karius should have received a yellow. That is never a red card.

TAA should have also received a penalty and a yellow card. He is flailing as he approached the Roma player, however turns away and starts pulling his hands back into his body. 

I do enjoy how you make excuses for a horrendous tackle that could have seriously injured Mane.

So frustrated players never make stupid tackles?

1 hour ago, ReggieBush said:

So frustrated players never make stupid tackles?

I never said that, I also wouldn't make excuses for bad tackles that Gerrard or anyone else makes. Gerrard stamped him, Gerrard got a red card. Who cares if he was upset for not starting the match. As awesome as Stevie G was, his emotions would get the better of him on occasion.

I remember watching this match at like 1AM in Hong Kong... this was quite the letdown.

If Real Madrid win a 3rd Champions League in a row, where does that put Cristiano Ronaldo in terms of all time greats?  I think he should be considered right up there with the best of them.  Also, if he leads Portugal to a good finish in the World Cup that should cement his place in the history books.  If Portugal actually win the World Cup then Ronaldo should be considered one of, if not, the greatest footballer ever.

1 hour ago, Frankie Sinatra said:

If Real Madrid win a 3rd Champions League in a row, where does that put Cristiano Ronaldo in terms of all time greats?  I think he should be considered right up there with the best of them.  Also, if he leads Portugal to a good finish in the World Cup that should cement his place in the history books.  If Portugal actually win the World Cup then Ronaldo should be considered one of, if not, the greatest footballer ever.

:picard:

Where to even begin.

1. Real could win Champions League without Ronaldo. They have a ridiculous amount of talent everywhere. For example you could stick Luka Modric on Sassoulo and they could probably make the UCL knockout stage. He is SO good, and you can certainly make the argument that Toni Kroos, Marcelo, Isco, and Bale could do the same on other middling teams. 

2. Portugal will not win the world cup. They are not good enough, and IMO CR7 is not of the quality to carry an international team to a championship. Great teams win World Cups, very rarely do mediocre or just good teams win the tournament. Portugal are not a great team.

3. I think when you look over the course of history, you have to take into account the incredible things that players have done. For example, Diego Maradona carried 2 mediocre Napoli sides to titles in a league from the where at the time was a equivalent to a SuperLeague. Literally every top player in the world (bar a few) were playing in the Serie A at the time. Imagine a player going to like Real Sociedad and winning the league over the likes Real, Barca, Atleti ect. That is what Maradona did.

To make a long story short, he isn't in my top ten even if Real win UCL

1. Diego Maradona

2. Leo Messi

3. Cruyff

4. Maldini

5. Beckenbauer

6. Zidane

7. Best

8. Ronaldo Nazario

9. Di Stefano

10. Zico

11. Garrincha

are the players that I would put ahead of him at the very least. I would put him in the same category of like Ronaldinho, Henry, Baggio, Totti ect.

15 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

:picard:

Where to even begin.

1. Real could win Champions League without Ronaldo. They have a ridiculous amount of talent everywhere. For example you could stick Luka Modric on Sassoulo and they could probably make the UCL knockout stage. He is SO good, and you can certainly make the argument that Toni Kroos, Marcelo, Isco, and Bale could do the same on other middling teams. 

2. Portugal will not win the world cup. They are not good enough, and IMO CR7 is not of the quality to carry an international team to a championship. Great teams win World Cups, very rarely do mediocre or just good teams win the tournament. Portugal are not a great team.

3. I think when you look over the course of history, you have to take into account the incredible things that players have done. For example, Diego Maradona carried 2 mediocre Napoli sides to titles in a league from the where at the time was a equivalent to a SuperLeague. Literally every top player in the world (bar a few) were playing in the Serie A at the time. Imagine a player going to like Real Sociedad and winning the league over the likes Real, Barca, Atleti ect. That is what Maradona did.

To make a long story short, he isn't in my top ten even if Real win UCL

1. Diego Maradona

2. Leo Messi

3. Cruyff

4. Maldini

5. Beckenbauer

6. Zidane

7. Best

8. Ronaldo Nazario

9. Di Stefano

10. Zico

11. Garrincha

are the players that I would put ahead of him at the very least. I would put him in the same category of like Ronaldinho, Henry, Baggio, Totti ect.

Um you’re clearly missing Salah!

• Haha 1