The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

10 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

What a surprise... Who would have thought the guy who rocks a Hitler stache is German?

Ha, I am Canadian.  Hitler stache?  That's my sweet movember stache, it was rich and bountiful and I miss it dearly. 

It's Official, Montreal Is Hosting The 2026 FIFA World Cup

Olé olé oléééé!

It's Official, Montreal Is Hosting The 2026 FIFA World Cup featured image

11.5Kshares

whitearrowshare.png
6fdfca7136a554f47853d8c946fbcc8677cfe55b.jpg_48x48.jpg Thomas MacDonald · 6 hours ago

Montreal has had its fair share of major international events. Expo '67 and the 1976 Summer Olympic Games put the city on the world map and catalyzed major urban development.

ALSO READ: Here's How Much The 2026 FIFA World Cup Will Actually Cost Montreal

You could say that it was those two events that made the city the festival-oriented playground it is today.

But since the late 20th century, many have feared that the city's golden age of international spectacle had faded away.

No longer.

Montreal is officially hosting the 2026 World Cup!

In joint bid between Canada, the United States, and Mexico, three Canadian cities will host ten games in total. Montreal is confirmed to be one of those cities and is likely to host three to four games. The other Canadian cities are Toronto and Edmonton. 

This morning, the FIFA Congress met in Moscow to formally accept the North American bid.

There's no word yet about where exactly the matches will take place in the city. But it would defnitely be cool to see the Olympic Stadium and Park revived as the center of international attention and competition.

https://www.mtlblog.com/news/its-official-montreal-is-hosting-the-2026-world-cup

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/world-cup-soccer-montreal-2026-1.4703837

2 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

@Scottish⑦Canuck Hearing Dortmund inquired about Moussa Dembélé. Have a hard time believing we can afford him, though. Any idea at which price Celtic would be willing to sell?

Something between €17 million to €20 million would probably get it done, plus a 10% cut of the sell-on fee.

It would be higher but for a very frustrating stop start season with injuries. He was outstanding his first season with us. Holds the ball up really well, can finish and has a natural confidence about him. Can't believe we got him for half a million.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Something between €17 million to €20 million would probably get it done, plus a 10% cut of the sell-on fee.

It would be higher but for a very frustrating stop start season with injuries. He was outstanding his first season with us. Holds the ball up really well, can finish and has a natural confidence about him. Can't believe we got him for half a million.

That would probably be doable for us. Bit surprised actually about the sum. Especially if you consider the prices those kinds of players go for these days when the EPL is involved.

Edited by Lateralus91

4 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

That would probably be doable for us. Bit surprised actually about the sum. Especially if you consider the prices those kinds of players go for these days when the EPL is involved.

I'd like to see him at Dortmund but I'd welcome a bidding war for purely financial reasons. The English in particular tend to look down on the Scottish leagues and offer lower fees as a result. The overall standard isn't great obviously, but after the success of Van Dijk and Wanyama in recent years you'd think they'd change their tune a little bit. At least Celtic instill a winning mentality with the constant pressure to win.

1 hour ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I'd like to see him at Dortmund but I'd welcome a bidding war for purely financial reasons. The English in particular tend to look down on the Scottish leagues and offer lower fees as a result. The overall standard isn't great obviously, but after the success of Van Dijk and Wanyama in recent years you'd think they'd change their tune a little bit. At least Celtic instill a winning mentality with the constant pressure to win.

Oh. Believe me. I understand. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

If Ronaldo carries juventus to a champions league title .. goat?

They don't need carrying lol. They have been to 2 UCL finals in 4 years.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Why Juventus???

Why not Roma, or Inter? 

Ugh. 

Money and tradition.

Serie A is officially the best league in the world once again folks

Edited by ReggieBush

2 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Nope.

Its well on its way. Its undeniable. Roma are building something great. Juve already have something great. Inter is building. Milan have a brilliant young core and are on the verge of receiving an influx of cash through Rocco Comisso. Napoli has Ancelotti. Fiorentina has one of the best, if not the best young attacking trident in the world in Pjaca, Simeone, and Chiesa. Italian clubs are building sustainably.

1 minute ago, ReggieBush said:

Its well on its way. Its undeniable. Roma are building something great. Juve already have something great. Inter is building. Milan have a brilliant young core and are on the verge of receiving an influx of cash through Rocco Comisso. Napoli has Ancelotti. Fiorentina has one of the best, if not the best young attacking trident in the world in Pjaca, Simeone, and Chiesa. Italian clubs are building sustainably.

All true, but the MLS has Wayne Rooney now.  Seriously, where does our domestic league kind of rank compared to the Premiership and Serie A?  Are we like the KHL is to the NHL?