The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

I see the Scottish grapes are a particularly sour vintage this summer :lol:

Terry has given three 7/10 performances so far, as has Lescott. They've been mostly solid - mire so than any England defence in the last ten years - and deserve some respect for that. They've worked hard, and I unlike Gerrard and Welbeck, they're not getting the credit they deserve.

Of course they'll mess up against Italy and cost England the game :lol:

This years Buckfast will be vintage!!!

If Terry had any shame, he'd be embarrassed at least twice a game by how aged he looks against many opposing forwards

firstly, I think we have established that "JT" has no shame. Ask his pal, Bridgey!!!

Secondly, according to Azzy Mahmood and his Sun player rankings, he is doing just fine. Funniest thing I have heard/read during the Euros yet.

This is a little off the current topic of the Euros but as this is The Official European Football Thread I suppose this post still belongs here.

I will state that I am a relatively new football fan. I first came to love "The Beautiful Game" a few years ago when some friends and I were travelling in Europe. While in London we wanted to see a soccer(what I used to call football) match and the only teams we knew of were Man U and Chelsea. It worked out that Chelsea was the team we ended up seeing and I have been a fan ever since.

So as an admittedly knew fan, I was wondering what other fans thought about the biggest, and really only problem in football, diving.

How and when did diving become so frequent/acceptable in this game? Is it just to hard to tell a dive from an actual foul? I know officiating in all sports is not perfect, especially hockey, but nothing in the world is more annoying to me then diving in football.

It may be just a completely ignorant North American mentality but how do the players get away with this? Do they not feel shamed by looking like a Nancy and geting brushed in the face with a pinky finger and rolling around on the dirt clutching there face like they received an upper cut from Mike Tyson? I for one would feel embarrassed if I seen my self on TV geting knocked over when the opposing manager sneezes on the sidelines and I scream bloody murder and lay on the pitch for 10 minutes.

Am I completely out of line saying this or do others agree that its a major problem? What happened to pro athletes being tough?

I really hate how soft football has become.

Diving is worse in particular leagues/countries than others. The SPL gets a lot of criticism for being a "poor league" but a lot of the skilled players can't cope up here with the more physical play. The Portuguese and Italians are pretty bad for diving. And watching an El Classico is just embarrassing.

This probably wont mean anything to anyone else, but it means a lot to me or anybody else who follows Aberdeen FC

When I was at school in Aberdeen, I played for the school football team and we were one of the best teams in the country, reaching the Scottish Cup final twice, a European final in Belguim, winning several trophies in and around Aberdeen. We were taken down to Pittodrie for training a few times and Teddy was always there and always had encouraging words for us "schoolboys". A real gentleman who will be very sorely missed.

The term "legend" is used far too often these days, particularly in sport but Teddy really was a true Aberdeen legend. RIP to a great, great man.

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/2821609

ABERDEEN FC legend Teddy Scott has died at his home in Ellon after a long illness.

Teddy retired in July 2003, after an astonishing 49 years of loyal service to the club.

He helped Sunnybank become the first Aberdeen side to win the Scottish Junior Cup in 1954 before moving to Pittodrie.

After hanging up his boots he served under 15 Aberdeen FC managers as a trainer, coach and latterly as kit manager.

Teddy, 83, was also a father figure to generations of the club’s younger players and was awarded a testimonial in 1999.

Sir Alex Ferguson paid him the ultimate tribute by taking a full strength Manchester United side – including David Beckham and Ryan Giggs – to Pittodrie for the game.

Ferguson said then: “Teddy has dedicated his life to Aberdeen. They were very lucky to have had a man like him for so long.

“A lot of the advice Teddy gave me has remained of value throughout my career.”

• Upvote 2

Diving is prominent throughout football. So sad that every player looks at the ref's after they're on the ground clutching their ankles and shins. Real sad. On another note, Germany vs Greece tmr @ 11:45. EXCITED.

Diving is prominent throughout football. So sad that every player looks at the ref's after they're on the ground clutching their ankles and shins. Real sad. On another note, Germany vs Greece tmr @ 11:45. EXCITED.

Funny video but bad quality unfortunately.