The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

what are you talking about, not over rated? They are ranked 5th in the world, IN THE WORLD!!!!

I enjoyed watching that so much I am off to watch the highlights. They were absolutely destroyed, humiliated even. On the other hand though, part of me is quite sad they didnt get through, would love to see what Germany would do to them. If Italy had a Klose or a Gomez, it would have been 6 at least.

Can't believe England is the 5th best team in the world LOL!!!! I guess maybe 5th in the world when it comes to the number of cheerleaders. England is similar to Toronto, all talk yet they haven't won anything. All though GLASSJAW's tears are delicious.

How good is German's defense and goalie if they concede 2 goals to Greece? I just question their defense. Aside from Lahm, they just aren't that impressive on defense. Spain is a pretty balanced team overall, so they will have big problems with them once Iniesta and Xavi opens up their defense.

Manuel Neuer is a great goalie. And Lahm, Badstuber, Hummels and Boateng is a great defense. To be fair the second Greek goal came from a lucky penalty.

what are you talking about, not over rated? They are ranked 5th in the world, IN THE WORLD!!!!

I enjoyed watching that so much I am off to watch the highlights. They were absolutely destroyed, humiliated even. On the other hand though, part of me is quite sad they didnt get through, would love to see what Germany would do to them. If Italy had a Klose or a Gomez, it would have been 6 at least.

Based on what? FIFA rankings?

The same FIFA rankings that had USA listed as the 4th best football nation a few years ago? And currently has Uruguay ranked as the second best football nation IN THE WORLD(!!!!)

Come on, nobody who knows anything about the sport seriously rated England as a serious threat to anyone. Especially with Rooney missing half the matches, Fat Frank sitting out, etc.

England wasn't highly rated when 100% healthy, and when the tournament started, they were even less so

Edited by GLASSJAW

How good is German's defense and goalie if they concede 2 goals to Greece? I just question their defense. Aside from Lahm, they just aren't that impressive on defense. Spain is a pretty balanced team overall, so they will have big problems with them once Iniesta and Xavi opens up their defense.

germany is good, they work as a unit. the 2nd greece goal was a penalty shot. having said that i think with a bit of luck for the italians, deutschland may lose this one.

Based on what? FIFA rankings?

well what else is there? ITV sport? I believe they have them ranked number 1 just ahead of BBC who actually have them 3rd I believe.

Face it, your team is sh*t and I love it love it love. just wish Scotland could draw them as the top seeded team in our qualifying group rather than Spain, Holland, Italy or France as we have been doing in recent years.

The English were already planning who they'd play in the final after a win against Sweden in the group stage. They never learn.

Where do you get this dross from? :lol:

The only thing England fans were planning was how many Ukraine would beat them by!

England did better than expected, which doesn't say much. I just wish people could appreciate the fine job Milner did, and how poor Rooney, Walcott and Young were. Rooney especially - even Samaras looked a better player :lol:

The only thing England fans were planning was how many Ukraine would beat them by!

England did better than expected, which doesn't say much. I just wish people could appreciate the fine job Milner did, and how poor Rooney, Walcott and Young were. Rooney especially - even Samaras looked a better player :lol:

I seem to remember the BBC pundits talking about how average everyone was and how England should have no problems beating them.

Even tonight, with the constant mention of how Diamanti was a "West Ham reject". That came back to bite them in the arse.

Gutted, but proud of the boys. Roy Hodgson has done a fine job and to be thrown into the mix instantly with less than few months to prepare, I believe he has done a fine job so far and there is a lot of positives to take from this Euro to build on for WC. One thing that has impressed me about Roy Hodgson is that he picked the RIGHT players to play as a team, not a bunch of individuals. We lot were not expected to make it out of the group, but we did.

Canada is a sovereign country yet we still kiss England's butt in everything they do. It seems like Canada will always be dependent. Canada is a multicultural country and most Canadians were born in Canada. In fact, the real Canadians are natives. Also the Canucks dive, whine, cheat and do other crap and am still a Canucks fan. Everyone just hates Italy because they are always relevant in Football like Brazil. England is just the love able losers that everyone cheers for. Everyone pities the weak; jealousy you have to earn.

.....Real Canadians being the natives as you say, migrated here pretty much like everyone else,just earlier. Edited by fagin

I'm going with Germany all the way. Only team with undefeated record so far in the Euro's. Although my man Schweinsteiger might not be playing on thursday and final due to his ankle.

If Schweinsteiger is out of the lineup, I get a lot more nervous about Germany's chances. He is an integral part of the team and he helps make that German midfield so strong.

Gutted, but proud of the boys. Roy Hodgson has done a fine job and to be thrown into the mix instantly with less than few months to prepare, I believe he has done a fine job so far and there is a lot of positives to take from this Euro to build on for WC. One thing that has impressed me about Roy Hodgson is that he picked the RIGHT players to play as a team, not a bunch of individuals. We lot were not expected to make it out of the group, but we did.

I agree and disagree, the midfield was woeful at times, a severely lacked one Michael Carrick. It's almost as if Parker panicked each time he had the ball and either turned it over through ugly control, or made a sloppy urgent pass. It all seemed too insecure. Gerrard had a pretty good tournament against weaker sides, but tonight he looked quite average, as did a lot of the players

Ashley Young looked horrible all game and probably shouldn't have been given the pk. As Piers Morgan says, Carroll is a 35m striker who opts out of a PK, and instead we get a player who obviously couldn't handle the big stage tonight?

Had Carrick been in the squad I'm not saying England would have won today, but at least it wouldn't have been 70 - 30, or whatever the possession was.

The midfield just wasn't there

Edit: and even though Terry was better tonight, Ferdinand would have been a vast improvement overall

Edited by GLASSJAW

Except Buffon has won championships bud and he is one of the most clutch goalie in Italian history. He won the world cup in 2006 for Italy in shootouts. He is the exact opposite of Luongo and he is better looking too.

I think she meant that he looks like Luongo's older bro, looks wise.

Sort of sad to see that England is being praised for their resilient defense after every game. Miss the days when they actually used to have chances to score and those were talked about.

I seem to remember the BBC pundits talking about how average everyone was and how England should have no problems beating them.

Even tonight, with the constant mention of how Diamanti was a "West Ham reject". That came back to bite them in the arse.

All you had to do was turn on the telly or radio or pick up a paper.

Why do you think the rest of the football world hate england? their arrogance is astounding. That Diamanti comment was shocking and it wasnt the only one, I counted at least half a dozen times where reference to the semi against Germany was mentioned.

ha ha, as I am sitting typing this watching Sky news, they are now talking about winning the world cup in Brazil once Roy has had time to get his team together...........like I say, astounding!!!

Manuel Neuer is a great goalie. And Lahm, Badstuber, Hummels and Boateng is a great defense. To be fair the second Greek goal came from a lucky penalty.

It was a clear penalty - the guy was about to cross the ball, Boateng looks at him, turns his back and deliberately sticks his arm out in the area of the ball. A great call by the ref. Bastuber, Hummels and Boateng are not 'great', merely 'good'. Pirlo will pick them apart.

Face it, your team is sh*t and I love it love it love. just wish Scotland could draw them as the top seeded team in our qualifying group rather than Spain, Holland, Italy or France as we have been doing in recent years.

Believe me, I wish Scotland could draw England too. An easy 6 points in qualifying :lol:

The BBC pundits were saying how no team looked invincible (unlike previous tournaments where Spain/France/Germany/Brazil have looked unbeatable), and that if England play well, they could have a chance. Obviously England didn't play well.

As for Diamanti - he is the very definition of a REJECT. Bought for nearly £10m, was atrocious, sold back for £2m, and West Ham fans were glad to get even that back. He was awful in the Premier League.

Had Carrick been in the squad I'm not saying England would have won today, but at least it wouldn't have been 70 - 30, or whatever the possession was.

If Parker's use of possession had been 1/10th as good as normal, no-one would remember Carrick. Unfortunately Parker was woeful on the ball, and it cost England 2/3 potential opportunities last night alone.

That Diamanti comment was shocking and it wasnt the only one, I counted at least half a dozen times where reference to the semi against Germany was mentioned.

That Diamanti comment was spot on. And if you had your unbiased headphones on, you'd have heard the commentator also talk about Italy-Germany in the semi, about Maggio's booking ruling him out if they got there, how crucial that could be for them, and at the end, how justice was done for Italy when they won.

As an aside, how else are newspapers going to sell unless they hype up the national team? They have a crucial role to play in getting the populace in the mood for tournaments. Of course, the Daily Glasgow wouldn't know anything about that :lol: