The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

:lol:

I'm not sure what's so funny about wanting Rafa with Reds.

He has the 4th best winning % all-time at Liverpool... He won 4 trophies... And his 3 successors, Hodgson, Kenny and Rodgers, have not had a .500 season and have only 1 trophy between them.

Great win by Reds today. Suarez could end up being EPL Player of the Year if he keeps up his pace. 21 goals leads van Persie by 2. Great team effort against a team they should thrash. I thought Coutinho looked great, too. Reina made 3 really nice reaction saves today to keep the clean sheet.

Europe is still a possibility.

I'm not sure what's so funny about wanting Rafa with Reds.

He has the 4th best winning % all-time at Liverpool... He won 4 trophies... And his 3 successors, Hodgson, Kenny and Rodgers, have not had a .500 season and have only 1 trophy between them.

2 words.......Xabi Alonso

Rafa is a clown, as a United fan, I too would love to see him back at Klanfield. If he is so good, why has he been out of work for so long? remind me, how long did he last at Inter........with a team that had just won the treble including the Champions League?

2 words.......Xabi Alonso

Rafa is a clown, as a United fan, I too would love to see him back at Klanfield. If he is so good, why has he been out of work for so long? remind me, how long did he last at Inter........with a team that had just won the treble including the Champions League?

Not sure what exactly you are referring to, topbananas, except rumors of Xabi seeing things differently than Rafa. Benitez won a trophy at Inter and was still let go because they were in 6th in Serie "A". Sounds Abramovich-like, to me.

Not saying he is the best in the world, dude. There are many, however, who are a whole lot worse. Chelsea might do better, but, with who? Their last 2 guys shouldn't have even been sacked.

Not sure what exactly you are referring to, topbananas, except rumors of Xabi seeing things differently than Rafa. Benitez won a trophy at Inter and was still let go because they were in 6th in Serie "A". Sounds Abramovich-like, to me.

Not saying he is the best in the world, dude. There are many, however, who are a whole lot worse. Chelsea might do better, but, with who? Their last 2 guys shouldn't have even been sacked.

I just meant that when Alonso left, Liverpool (and Rafa) went downhill, fast. All my Mrs's family are from Liverpool and are Liverpool fans, 2 of her brothers are season ticket holders and they will tell you the exact same thing.

I agree, there are managers who are way worse than Rafa that have, or have had, top jobs but (imo) Rafa is over-rated. That said, they way he has been treated at Chelsea is nothing short of a disgrace, he does not deserve that, but thats Chelsea for you, worst club in Europe from top to bottom. They are never going to attract a top top manager now, the fact they really thought they would get Guardiola is unbelievable.

• Upvote 1

I just meant that when Alonso left, Liverpool (and Rafa) went downhill, fast. All my Mrs's family are from Liverpool and are Liverpool fans, 2 of her brothers are season ticket holders and they will tell you the exact same thing.

I agree, there are managers who are way worse than Rafa that have, or have had, top jobs but (imo) Rafa is over-rated. That said, they way he has been treated at Chelsea is nothing short of a disgrace, he does not deserve that, but thats Chelsea for you, worst club in Europe from top to bottom. They are never going to attract a top top manager now, the fact they really thought they would get Guardiola is unbelievable.

Amen.

no myth, it just would not happen.........unless you have something seriously wrong with you, in the head I mean

they are not sweaters by the way, they are called shirts or tops here

I walked all the way through 20.000 + Celtic fans outside Hampden before the '87-88 United v Celtic Cup Final on a lovely sunny afternoon with my Dundee United scarf on (although my mate wouldn't come with me :-) We had parked at the wrong end.

Why? Because I couldnt be bothered going all the way round the other side and this was the shortest way to the United end.

Nothing happened, just as I figured, other than a few "drunken tubes" singing "spot the loony"

In '64-65 me and my 2 mates stood in the middle of the Celtic end with our Dunfermline scarfs on before it was all seated at a game attended by 108, 000 but we moved to the other end at half time..........again nothing happened, just a few arguments when we scored ...........but we lost 3-2 (one of their goals shouldn't have been allowed but the OF used to get away with murder, even then) That was my first of 8 Cup Finals.

I walked all the way through 20.000 + Celtic fans outside Hampden before the '87-88 United v Celtic Cup Final on a lovely sunny afternoon with my Dundee United scarf on (although my mate wouldn't come with me :-) We had parked at the wrong end.

Why? Because I couldnt be bothered going all the way round the other side and this was the shortest way to the United end.

Nothing happened, just as I figured, other than a few "drunken tubes" singing "spot the loony"

In '64-65 me and my 2 mates stood in the middle of the Celtic end with our Dunfermline scarfs on before it was all seated at a game attended by 108, 000 but we moved to the other end at half time..........again nothing happened, just a few arguments when we scored ...........but we lost 3-2 (one of their goals shouldn't have been allowed but the OF used to get away with murder, even then) That was my first of 8 Cup Finals.

why were you wearing a Dunfermline scarf in 65 and a Dundee United scarf in 88?

In 65 you would be safe enough, especially as they won ;-) but in 88 I would say the only thing that saved you was the fact you wore a team scarf. "Scarfers" are never supposed to be targeted at the match......its like an unwritten rule

I think that in general there's a different rule for Celtic and Rangers.

I know for a fact that if I got off the subway at Ibrox wearing a Celtic shirt on a matchday I would be heckled, abused and probably spat on at the very least. I've been on the subway enough times on matchdays to hear the sort of things some of them wish upon Celtic fans. I'm sure the same thing would apply to Rangers fans who decide to hang around Parkhead. There are a good number of nutters out there who have been brainwashed into hating one another.

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck

why were you wearing a Dunfermline scarf in 65 and a Dundee United scarf in 88?

In 65 you would be safe enough, especially as they won ;-) but in 88 I would say the only thing that saved you was the fact you wore a team scarf. "Scarfers" are never supposed to be targeted at the match......its like an unwritten rule

Jeez I take it you have never been to a game over here :-)

Dunfermline was my team. However I worked for 11 years in Dundee from 1972 and adopted them as my second team as nearly everyone seemed to support Dundee at that time. I'm a sucker for the underdog.

I got my my first of many match injuries at a Celtic game when my uncles (who were all East Fife fans) took me to a Raith v Celtic game at Starks Park. I was hit a glancing blow on the head by a "screwtop" beer bottle. Fortunately I was only stunned but after the match finished my uncles followed the guy and his pal down to their car and kicked the living crap out of both of them while I watched. In these days there was no crowd segregation.

I saw one of the best fights ever at the Celtic v Dunfermline game in the Hampden bus park.

We had travelled in a bus full of Dunfermline supporters but one of the guys was wearing a Celtic scarf and bringing his wee boy to his first Cup Final wearing his Dunfermline scarf.

Anyway me and my mate had just got back to the bus after the game ended and into our seats when we saw 3 Celtic fans approaching the wee boy who was a bit ahead of his Dad.

One of the louts (they were all a bit drunk and in their mid twenties) pulled the wee boy's Dunfermline scarf off and chucked it on the roof of one of the busses.

Next thing an argument broke out between the the Dad (who was built along the lines of "Begbie" ie not very big) and these 3 fans.

Me and my mate got up to give the Dad "a hand" but before we could reach the argument the Dad had "decked" the three of them.

I reckon the whole thing took about 3 or 4 seconds and the Father wasn't even out of breath when we spoke to him.

Another time '89-90 me and my mate took a Dunfermline supporters bus to Parkhead (Celtic Park) We won 2-0. In these days you expected trouble if you won at Ibrox OR Celtic Park.

We weren't to be disappointed. We had just got back to our bus when the stones started shattering the windows. Remember there were youngsters and women/girls in the bus.

Worse still, there were policemen not far away watching it all. I couldn't believe it.

Anyway our troubles were just starting because a crowd of them charged the bus and we literally had to fight to keep them out. My mate got badly cut and I just had a few bumps and bruises. Luckily some police eventually did arrive but only to usher the bus out and away as quickly as possible. We had a good laugh about it on the way back to Fife but it could have turned nasty if they had managed to get in with any numbers.

Edited by Bodee

Dortmund will win the competition. They can pretty much concentrate on the Champions League now. Out of the DFB Pokal, way behind in the league. As long as they can grind out wins in the Bundesliga and hold on to 2nd place they can afford to spend more energy on the Champions League.

Dortmund will win the competition. They can pretty much concentrate on the Champions League now. Out of the DFB Pokal, way behind in the league. As long as they can grind out wins in the Bundesliga and hold on to 2nd place they can afford to spend more energy on the Champions League.

I said that after their group games, I have to say, I was surprised at just how good they are and I would think they are the team that everyone wants to avoid......Bayern are not bad either mind you, all German final?????? at Wembley????? in the FA's 150th year celebrations????? SURELY NOT!!!!!

I said that after their group games, I have to say, I was surprised at just how good they are and I would think they are the team that everyone wants to avoid......Bayern are not bad either mind you, all German final?????? at Wembley????? in the FA's 150th year celebrations????? SURELY NOT!!!!!

An all German final would not surprise me at all.

Bayern are the only team that would really worry me if I were Dortmund. They're probably the most consistent team in Europe right now and knocked them out of the DFB Pokal last week. I think it would be close but Dortmund would just edge it. And Munich would self destruct after a third Champions League final loss in 4 years.

An all German final would not surprise me at all.

Bayern are the only team that would really worry me if I were Dortmund. They're probably the most consistent team in Europe right now and knocked them out of the DFB Pokal last week. I think it would be close but Dortmund would just edge it. And Munich would self destruct after a third Champions League final loss in 4 years.

I think the only way they dont face each other at Wembley is they draw each other in the semis ......or, they get a Turkish ref!!! Bayern v Real and Dortmund v Barca in the semis would make for 4 great games