The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

why not?

why not?

why not?

his style is so boring and the circus that follows him is just embarrassing....he is made for Chelsea and they for him. He sealed his fate the day he gouged a Barcelona coaches eye while managing Real. There are right ways to win and wrong ways to win and for me and all the lads I go to the games with, his is not the right way, not one of us want him

• 2 weeks later...

England's World Cup squad was just announced:

Hart, Foster, Forster, Baines, Shaw, Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Jones, Smalling, Gerrard ©, Barkley, Henderson, Lampard, Lallana, Sterling, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Milner, Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge, Lambert.

From that squad, here's how I'd line up:

Hart

Johnson - Jagielka - Cahill - Shaw

Henderson - Gerrard - Barkley

Sterling - Rooney - Sturridge

I still don't rate Baines as a top LB, he's never played CL football and has always looked average for England. I'd rather have taken Cole and Shaw than Baines and Shaw.

If the full 23 can stay fit, we have a very good chance of impressing I believe. If, however, we need to call upon any of the seven reserve players, we're not looking so good. The likes of Carrick, Cleverley, Defoe and Carroll are not good enough to play for England, and I would hate to see any of those four appear in a match this summer.

I do like Stones and Flanagan though, so if Phil Jones doesn't recover in time from his shoulder injury, Stones would be an excellent call up. He is going to be a rock for us for years to come.

Every year mourinho has said 'we are going to win', he's won. he's said we will be unstoppable next year, so I'm putting faith in it for next year.

What makes me laugh about Mourinho is how the media go all 'he's a master tactician', then fail to highlight how he threw the title away with losses to Palace, Sunderland, Villa...for every right decision he's made this season, he's made two balls ups:

- dumping Ashley Cole for no reason. Still the best LB in the PL.

- persisting with Torres and Ba, when Lukaku had had an excellent season with my club WBA. Huge mistake.

- persisting with David Luiz, when he's clearly not cut out for the PL.

- keeping Frank Lampard in the team, when he can't last 70mins now and gets bypassed by the likes of Leon Osman.

- playing out of form players such as Oscar when players like Ramires are there.

- selling Mata, their best player of the last two seasons.

- basically kicking Hazard out of the club, for having the guts to call out his team mates on a poor performance. If not for Hazard, Chelsea probably wouldn't have made the top four this season.

Just a few grave mistakes from Mourinho there. That's ignoring the tactical ones that have cost him crucial points this season.

• Upvote 1

Terrific FA Cup Final today, I thought.

Arsenal made it interesting by spotting Hull two (and nearly three) goals to start. But what started out looking like a disaster for Arsenal morphed into what looked like an inevitable win by the Gunners as they game went on. Although I thought that character who was engraving Arsenal's name on the Cup with five minutes left in overtime might jinx them.

Cheers to Wenger and the lads.

A question, though, for anyone who is familiar with the English league: What counts more for the fans - winning the League title or winning the FA Cup?

Terrific FA Cup Final today, I thought.

Arsenal made it interesting by spotting Hull two (and nearly three) goals to start. But what started out looking like a disaster for Arsenal morphed into what looked like an inevitable win by the Gunners as they game went on. Although I thought that character who was engraving Arsenal's name on the Cup with five minutes left in overtime might jinx them.

Cheers to Wenger and the lads.

A question, though, for anyone who is familiar with the English league: What counts more for the fans - winning the League title or winning the FA Cup?

winning the league title, then FA cup, then the league cup; unless the team isn't in the PL then FA cup or league cup because you've probably upset some pretty big teams.

What makes me laugh about Mourinho is how the media go all 'he's a master tactician', then fail to highlight how he threw the title away with losses to Palace, Sunderland, Villa...for every right decision he's made this season, he's made two balls ups:

- persisting with Torres and Ba, when Lukaku had had an excellent season with my club WBA. Huge mistake.

- keeping Frank Lampard in the team, when he can't last 70mins now and gets bypassed by the likes of Leon Osman.

- playing out of form players such as Oscar when players like Ramires are there.

- basically kicking Hazard out of the club, for having the guts to call out his team mates on a poor performance. If not for Hazard, Chelsea probably wouldn't have made the top four this season.

Just a few grave mistakes from Mourinho there. That's ignoring the tactical ones that have cost him crucial points this season.

Agree on many of these. A lot of arrogance and pride decisions with JM.

cant argue with any of that, he is the most over rated, over hyped coach/manager ever. Simeone put him in his place at "the bridge" just as Louis van Gaal will in the league next season......speaking of which, I seriously cannot wait to get it going.....its going to be a lonnnnnnnng summer

This summer is going to see unprecedented levels of spending:

- Man City want Mangala and Fernando, plus need Englishmen to replace Lescott, Milner and likely Rodwell and Sinclair

- Chelsea want Mangala, a LB, a CB to replace Luiz, Hazard to go, several strikers to come in

- United need two CBs, a LB, probably a RB, two CMs, at least one winger and another striker if Welbeck/Hernandez leave

- Liverpool want to strengthen all over, bringing in Vorm, want a new LB, CMs, another striker

- Tottenham want to improve all over, Soldado out, new strikers in, players like Sandro and Capoue to leave, Lloris leaving too

- Arsenal will spend big on RB and strikers

- Everton need to replace Lukaku, bring in Barry etc

- Villa are losing a lot of their deadwood and need to spend urgently

- The 3 promoted clubs are all going to spend moolah

- Plus everyone else in the league

It would not surprise me to see spending approaching £1bn this summer transfer period. United alone can do £200m, Chelsea and City another £150m, Liverpool and Arsenal another £200m...

This summer is going to see unprecedented levels of spending:

- Man City want Mangala and Fernando, plus need Englishmen to replace Lescott, Milner and likely Rodwell and Sinclair

- Chelsea want Mangala, a LB, a CB to replace Luiz, Hazard to go, several strikers to come in

- United need two CBs, a LB, probably a RB, two CMs, at least one winger and another striker if Welbeck/Hernandez leave

- Liverpool want to strengthen all over, bringing in Vorm, want a new LB, CMs, another striker

- Tottenham want to improve all over, Soldado out, new strikers in, players like Sandro and Capoue to leave, Lloris leaving too

- Arsenal will spend big on RB and strikers

- Everton need to replace Lukaku, bring in Barry etc

- Villa are losing a lot of their deadwood and need to spend urgently

- The 3 promoted clubs are all going to spend moolah

- Plus everyone else in the league

It would not surprise me to see spending approaching £1bn this summer transfer period. United alone can do £200m, Chelsea and City another £150m, Liverpool and Arsenal another £200m...

Leicester City will have 80M pounds at their disposal this summer.