The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

The Luton Town and York City BSP playoff final was great. The winning goal was a terrible non-call offside. The dumb linesmen then called the next attack offside when it was a good three yards onside... Luton are cursed to stay out of the football league. I thought Wrexham was a lock to win the league, but they also end up staying down. I saw a Fleetwood Town and Lincoln City game and Fleetwood were pretty good. They could do like Stevenage have in the football league.

Also, was this not the first year that a newly promoted club has not been relegated next season since the forming of the EPL?

Watching the League 1 finals right now and going to watch the League 2 playoff finals tomorrow.

The moment of the season for me was this though http://www.mcfc.co.uk/citytv/Features/2012/May/Sergio-Aguero-title-winning-goal-and-reaction-in-slow-motion

with a touch of http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-17026172

The Luton Town and York City BSP playoff final was great. The winning goal was a terrible non-call offside. The dumb linesmen then called the next attack offside when it was a good three yards onside... Luton are cursed to stay out of the football league. I thought Wrexham was a lock to win the league, but they also end up staying down. I saw a Fleetwood Town and Lincoln City game and Fleetwood were pretty good. They could do like Stevenage have in the football league.

Also, was this not the first year that a newly promoted club has not been relegated next season since the forming of the EPL?

Watching the League 1 finals right now and going to watch the League 2 playoff finals tomorrow.

The moment of the season for me was this though http://www.mcfc.co.u...-in-slow-motion

with a touch of http://www.bbc.co.uk...w-west-17026172

it sure has been awhile, Norwich and Swansea were actually quite solid all season, I had QPR and Swansea for drop before the season started. I wonder if West Ham will stick around this time. So far I have QPR, Wigan, and Aston Villa for drop next season.

So Chelsea have no manager but go and spend £40m on Eden Hazard......seems a little odd to me. He does look a good player though but his carry on regarding where he was going to go has made me glad he is not at United.

Did my previous comment upset you ChelseaFC?

Really excited with teams naming their squads.

I really like Italy's team. It's a good mix of veteran Serie A players in Barzagli and Di Natale and some raw youths like Borini and Giaccherini(well he's 27 but he never capped before). All the usual suspects, save for Criscito and Rossi, are here as well.

If August's friendly vs Spain was any indication of what's to come, I really like our chances going in to first group game.

Edited by Alain Vigneault

With barry confirmed out and looks like Lampard is going to miss out too, they better wrap Parker and Gerrard in cotton wool. Jordan Henderson on stand by :lol:

Unbelievable.

I wonder if Carrick will reconsider now? Apparently there's some rule that allows roster changes to happen (pending approval) leading up to the tournament, if the injuries are "serious enough" or something.

Unbelievable.

I wonder if Carrick will reconsider now? Apparently there's some rule that allows roster changes to happen (pending approval) leading up to the tournament, if the injuries are "serious enough" or something.

I dont think Carrick will be getting a call anytime soon and I think thats the right thing for the FA to do. He made it quite clear he would not be on "stand by" and should that change, I think will upset an already very unsettled squad. For the record, I dont blame Carrick either. I bet they wish they could have talked Scholsey round now..........

First of congrats chelsea for the win. Im almost as glad that neither of the spanish giants won than that Chelsea did. I wouldnt have minded either Chels or Munich winning over Barca or madrid.

Alot of people say chelsea didnt deserve to win and that they got lucky blah blah blah. They did what it took to win, thus they deserved to win. It might not have been pretty but the played EXTREMELY defensive football and hit on the counterattack perfectly in this years CL.

Now even a chelsea fan can see that there is work that needs doing for next year because i cant really believe that were going to win another CL to keep us in the tourny, we have to finish top 4!

SO in your opinion what is needed at chelsea to get this club back fighting for a EPL title.

Heres my take.

ATTACKING: With Torres back to form next year( have to believe that he will, if he isnt big trouble for the blues), Daniel Sturridge and Lukaku( the next drogba...hopefully) I think that our strikers are good enough.

DEFENCE : Luiz and Cahill have grown into pretty decent defenders who can dominate in the air. Bertrand looks like he will be ready to take over from Cole when need be, but i think hes still one of the best 1on1 defenders in the world. Ivanovic is always solid at RB or CB. and then theres old skipper JT who when hes not geting sent off, can still play decently

MIDFIELD: this is where serios work needs to be done IMO, other then mata, and ramires this midfield needs a total overhall.

Lampard should retire from football, i love him for what he did for chelsea but he should retire on top holdng the CL trophy, he no longer has the pace or ball control to fill the role he used to as a true attacking midfielder.

Essiens knees are done for.

And whats the deal with Meireles? The guy isnt solid enough defensively to be a holding midfielder and other then smashing the odd one from range the guy isnt good enough offensively, so where do we play him?

I heard were signing hazard which is good i guess? i dont know much about him, how he plays or what position is natural for him.

Is there anyone else available Chelsea could bring in to fix this broken midfield?

I heard were signing hazard which is good i guess? i dont know much about him, how he plays or what position is natural for him.

Is there anyone else available Chelsea could bring in to fix this broken midfield?

A very good attacking winger/midfielder. Great speed and stamina. Should be able to pop some goals and give Chelsea that extra bit of offensive boost they've lacked.

If Chelsea manages to get Hulk as well, their attack will be something,

Torres

Hazard - Mata - Hulk

Ramires - Lampard

Cole - Cahill - Terry - Ivanovic

Cech

I was following the transfer drama surrounding Hazard and he seemed like a bit of an idiot

Baiting the media with his decision, coming out to say his next team better give him the #10 shirt, and of course, let's not forget the wages he's likely demanding. And for what? A 21 year old starlet? This kid isn't Messi or Ronaldo. Sure, he may turn out to be a star, but he isn't one yet. Kid needs to be humbled, big time. What better league to get that in?

And speaking of transfers... what do you guys think of Podolski signing for Arse?

He scored a decent number for Koln, but the team was relegated this year and largely awful (from what I've read).

Podolski was a perennial disappointment for Bayern (on the bigger stage)

But I've always had a soft spot for Arsenal, they seem to live and die by their development and youth, rather than just buy up the best. Makes me wonder why they went for the semi-big name, regular disappointment Podolski?

Edited by GLASSJAW

So Rogers is confirmed at Liverpool. Oh how the mighty have fallen........cant even tempt a young manager to choose Anfield over the DW. I think Rogers is a great appointment at Liverpool but he can only do so much there. That is a club with unacheivable expectations, mid table with the odd cup run thrown in.

I was following the transfer drama surrounding Hazard and he seemed like a bit of an idiot

Baiting the media with his decision, coming out to say his next team better give him the #10 shirt, and of course, let's not forget the wages he's likely demanding. And for what? A 21 year old starlet? This kid isn't Messi or Ronaldo. Sure, he may turn out to be a star, but he isn't one yet. Kid needs to be humbled, big time. What better league to get that in?

And speaking of transfers... what do you guys think of Podolski signing for Arse?

He scored a decent number for Koln, but the team was relegated this year and largely awful (from what I've read).

Podolski was a perennial disappointment for Bayern (on the bigger stage)

But I've always had a soft spot for Arsenal, they seem to live and die by their development and youth, rather than just buy up the best. Makes me wonder why they went for the semi-big name, regular disappointment Podolski?

I agree with you about Hazard, the way he carried on, he will fit in just fine at "The Bridge". £170,000.00 a week? Even City were not prepared to pay him that. I noticed this week that Chelsea's wage bill is again the highest in the league, quite a bit more than City.......I found that very interesting.

They are also trying to spend stupid money on Hulk.......latest offer turned down by Porto is supposed to be £40m

I think Podolski will do well at Arsenal, he is thir kind of player and they will play a game that suits him and with RVP signing an extension, I hope to see the Gunners back amongst the league contenders next season

another inspiring England performance, I cannot wait for the Euros to start

I thought England played well. Belgium had 120% of possession but never once looked like troubling them. And going forward the pace of the front three was a real threat. I really do think England can do well - provided both Terry and Cahill are fit!

I thought England played well. Belgium had 120% of possession but never once looked like troubling them. And going forward the pace of the front three was a real threat. I really do think England can do well - provided both Terry and Cahill are fit!

Wouldnt say England played well, they looked solid and well organised but when they come up against teams that have an actual threat going forward, they will be in trouble. Hart needs to be at his very best, Terry and Cahill are not as good as most people think and Johnson will be found out for what he is too.

Englands passing was awful and you cannot allow the other team to have that mush possession and expect to get results, just too much quality in the final third, that Beliguim did not have. If that is an indication of Hazard.........(or azzar as that idiot commentator on ITV kept calling him, I didnt know he was French) then he will fit in nicely with the rent boys......selfish, sulky and likes a roll about on the floor whenever anyone goes near him