2710 replies to this topic

#1471 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,283 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Daniel Sturridge says he is "humbled and happy" after formally completing his move from Chelsea to Liverpool.

Liverpool, who had been in talks with the 23-year-old's representatives during December, confirmed the striker had signed a long-term contract. The transfer fee is understood to be in the region of £12m.

Sturridge told Liverpool's website: "I am humbled and happy to be here. Brendan Rodgers said he sees me here for a long time, and I also see myself here for a long time. I've not signed here to play for a couple of years and then move on.

"I've signed to be here for as long as possible. It's a humongous club – for me, one of the biggest in the world – and to have the fans and world-class players we have here is amazing."

Sturridge also said he looked forward to playing alongside Luis Suárez. "To have him as a teammate is great. He's a very good player, very talented and rated as a one of the best players in attacking positions in the world right now. It's good to be part of a team with him in and I'm sure we'll be able to play well together.

"With Luis, Raheem [Sterling] and the other players that are here, it's going to be great for myself and I'm sure we'll connect well together. We all have similar attributes, so hopefully we'll be able to create a few nightmares for defenders."

Chelsea are set to replace Sturridge with Newcastle's Demba Ba after being given permission to open talks with the Senegal striker.

For the scousers around here, happy?

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#1472 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:19 AM

For the scousers around here, happy?

Sturridge has the skills. He has the pace. He is young. When he plays regularly, Sturridge has proved he can score, with 20 goals in his last 49 EPL appearances for Chelsea and Bolton (8 goals in 12 appearances last year). Looks good on paper. The potential is there. Will he meld with Suarez, Gerrard and Sterling? Is he going to play striker in a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1? Will he play a wide forward position in a similar formation? Or, will he play in tandem with Suarez up front in a more traditional 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1?

If he gets a consistent opportunity to start, match in and match out, I think he will be successful. It's a good signing, IMO, but not a great one. 5 years is a long stretch for a largely unproven player. Demba Ba, a big, powerful striker, was what I was hoping for. Still not a great signing, but, it looks like he may replace Sturridge at Blues, so...

I'm happy, but, not ecstatic, by any means. Reds have to do something to build some depth.

Nice win today over Black Cats. Suarez is in great form right now and Gerrard had his best match of the year today. Both great signs for moving up the table. Only 5 points out of Europe and 7 away from Champions League.

Go, Reds!

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#1473 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

The transfer fee that Liverpool paid for Sturridge was probably inflated by about 3-4x because of the fact he's English.

Teams like Liverpool need to start looking abroad for hidden gems instead of spending ridiculous amounts of money on unproven English talent.

#1474 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

The transfer fee that Liverpool paid for Sturridge was probably inflated by about 3-4x because of the fact he's English.

Teams like Liverpool need to start looking abroad for hidden gems instead of spending ridiculous amounts of money on unproven English talent.

I agree that 12M (undisclosed, as of yet) is steep, but, at the January window, often players are overpriced. I agree, too, Scottish, that his nationality probably has something to do with his high fee. Scouting is the name of the game, today, and clubs, including Reds, need to do a better job scouring the globe for talent. The thing is, there are few secrets anymore with football being so huge globally. The internet and satellite TV have opened up all sorts of opportunities to see players that weren't there even 5 years ago.
In other news, it would be nice if Liverpool's Academy were able to produce more players like Sterling, too.

#1475 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

Oh... My... God...

Liverpool are lucky to be going through in the FA Cup, footy fans! Luis Suarez' goal, coming only minutes after he came on as a sub for Sturridge, came off of a BLATANT hand ball which led directly to the score. Not only should the goal not have counted, but, Suarez should have received a yellow card for his actions.

I feel bad for Mansfield Town as, statistically, they outplayed the Reds. Liverpool dominated the first half, with 70% possession, but, couldn't put more than Sturridge's debut goal past a solid MT keeper. The second half belonged to MT and they were unlucky not to be heading for a replay at Anfield.

There should be a review system in place for cases like this where the officials completely sh!t the bed on a call that costs a team a match.

#1476 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

Yessss. Nuri Sahin is coming back to Dortmund.

Liverpool wasted him. Not given a proper chance. Their loss.

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck, 11 January 2013 - 08:45 AM.

#1477 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

Yessss. Nuri Sahin is coming back to Dortmund.

Liverpool wasted him. Not given a proper chance. Their loss.

Agreed, Scottish. Sahin started off really well but hardly got any playing time since Halloween. I'm not sure what Rogers' plan is in rebuilding Reds or if he even has a plan. Sahin could have been a long term fix for Gerrard. Now Sturridge, who could be a great signing... and Sow rumours... Dalgliesh back in as "ambassador"...

Holy Hell!

#1478 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

Game on.

Hopefully Liverpool can make a game out of this. They've been awful so far.

#1479 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

Did Howard Webb just book Evra?

What a racist!

#1480 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

What a miss :lol:

#1481 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

What a miss :lol:

Quit tauntin' we Scousers, Scottish! :lol:

I take it you are speaking of the Sturridge miss with 5 minutes to go? 2 goals in 2 games is pretty sweet, but, I would give them both up for that one. Wait... if I did that, it would still be 2-1 MU! Oh, well... You know what I mean.

Liverpool looked good for the last half hour. Where was that desire at the start of the game? Rogers is too conservative in his approach. Possession gets you nothing. I'd rather see some exciting, progressive, atting football than watch Reds pass the ball about for 90 minutes. That last half hour with Suarez, Sturridge, Johnson, Gerrard, and later, Borini, looked promising. Allen had a decent game today, too. A loss is still a loss, but, I think I can see something promising down the road.

Or were you talking about Djecko's penalty? :blink:

Edit: What a shot by Milner! I despise ManCity.

Edited by Hugemanskost, 13 January 2013 - 09:27 AM.

#1482 Mad Cow Disease

Mad Cow Disease

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

I've come to terms with Arsenal not qualifying for the Champion's League next year...unless they pull a Chelsea. Highly unlikely. I'm sure we'll get showed up by Bayren Munich a month from now.

#1483 Mad Cow Disease

Mad Cow Disease

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

A string of mediocre-poor results and this whole Walcott situation is seriously worrying and Wenger needs a serious kick up the backside or Arsenal is heading into Liverpool territory (no offense, scousers).

#1484 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

Gordon Strachan appointed as the new Scotland boss.

Delighted with that.

#1485 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

Gordon Strachan appointed as the new Scotland boss.

Delighted with that.

Sweet selection for Scotland. Strach looks like he could still play. Reds could use a player with his character, grit and skill, for sure.

Hey, Scottish... Any rumblings from Glasgow about Wanyama staying or going? TalkCeltic mentions ManU, but, everyone worth mentioning is going to ManU. Heard anything, dude? Why isn't Liverpool jumping all over this guy with Sahin now off on his way to Germany and Gerrard heading to the sunset?

#1486 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:26 AM

Sweet selection for Scotland. Strach looks like he could still play. Reds could use a player with his character, grit and skill, for sure.

Hey, Scottish... Any rumblings from Glasgow about Wanyama staying or going? TalkCeltic mentions ManU, but, everyone worth mentioning is going to ManU. Heard anything, dude? Why isn't Liverpool jumping all over this guy with Sahin now off on his way to Germany and Gerrard heading to the sunset?

I think most Celtic fans have become resigned to the fact that he'll probably be leaving in the summer. I've seen him linked with Man Utd, Arsenal and Man City, but knowing the press over here it's difficult to say whether that's true.

What I do know is that Celtic will (or should) definitely hold out for £12-15 million for him.

#1487 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

I think most Celtic fans have become resigned to the fact that he'll probably be leaving in the summer. I've seen him linked with Man Utd, Arsenal and Man City, but knowing the press over here it's difficult to say whether that's true.

What I do know is that Celtic will (or should) definitely hold out for £12-15 million for him.

I would pay 12-15M for him if I were Brenden Rodgers. He would be perfect in the middle of the pitch for years to come.

On another note, great win by Reds today, 5-0 over a struggling Norwich. Sturridge looking like a good pick up with 3 in 3 and a world-class dummy on a through ball from Gerrard that ended up on Suarez' foot for the second Liverpool goal.

#1488 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

Two pretty entertaining matches today. Didn't think they quite lived up to the hype created, but, still some good footy in very snowy conditions. It looked like FIFA 13 in London today!

Chelsea 2 - Arsenal 1 - Two games in one! Chelsea made Arsenal look like a bunch of U-6 school girls in the first half and the tide was turned in the 2nd. Mata's goal came after what looked like a nasty challenge by Valencia on Coquelin. Bad miss by the ref. He was standing right there. Sweet finish by Walcott after signing his new deal. He has finally arrived - 15 goals, so far.

Spurs 1 - ManU 1 - Clint Dempsey scores a late equalizer in the 92nd minute after a brutal punch "clearance" by De Gea, who otherwise had a pretty sweet game. He uses his feet really well. van Persie scored an awesome header, backpedalling, on Man U's only real chance of the first half. Rooney should have drawn a penalty late but the ref and assistant ignored it. ManU were lucky to get the point. Spurs deserved the full 3.

Man, I love the EPL!

#1489 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,888 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

Nice to see the Spurs with the late tie against United.

As a fan of Dutch football, I have to say that RvP irritates me to no end....he scores in virtually every Premier League match, but when he dons the Orange jersey he disappears faster than a box of Twinkies at Chris Christie's house...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#1490 Mad Cow Disease

Mad Cow Disease

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

Another loss for Arsenal. Looking truly hopeless as far as CL qualification goes. Badly need a marquee signing. Too bad Barcelona doesn't want to deal out David Villa. Walcott and Wilshere are the only consistent performers these days.

#1491 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

Another loss for Arsenal. Looking truly hopeless as far as CL qualification goes. Badly need a marquee signing. Too bad Barcelona doesn't want to deal out David Villa. Walcott and Wilshere are the only consistent performers these days.

Looks like Gunners are in that "Liverpool Territory" you were speaking of last week, Mad Cow! :lol:

They do have a game in hand, though... And things could be much worse than 6th. They're only 4 points out of Europe and 7 from CL. Anything's possible.

#1492 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,283 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

Said it from the start, Podolski and Giroud are not good enough.

They need a DM very badly, and a new player up front, from what I've seen.

Good on them for getting Walcott committed, but there's still a lot of work to be done.

How long is Wenger going to get a pass, based on his former glory years?

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#1493 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Said it from the start, Podolski and Giroud are not good enough.

They need a DM very badly, and a new player up front, from what I've seen.

Good on them for getting Walcott committed, but there's still a lot of work to be done.

How long is Wenger going to get a pass, based on his former glory years?

This is a great question, GLASSJAW, that has been asked over and over again for the past 3 years or so. He does well taking young teams and keeping them competitive, but, without a true star, he struggles to win trophies. The question also arises, "Why cant Gunners sign or keep the big names anymore?" Could it be Wenger?

The Walcott signing was a great one for the club. Was hoping Reds might bid for him in the summer window, but Wenger did the right thing to keep him.

Arsenal need a 'keeper and a couple of centre-halfs, too, and that DM that you speak of. They are weak down the middle, for sure!

#1494 Mad Cow Disease

Mad Cow Disease

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

Arsenal looked great yesterday, mostly due to the fact they were playing an off-form West Ham squad, however every player on the team had a good game, especially Wilshere (as usual), Ramsey, Podolski and Giroud.

Still need another center half, box-to-box or defensive midfielder, and a striker. Don't know who Arsenal would look at for the first two, but signing Villa or Jovetic would be marvelous up front.

#1495 Mad Cow Disease

Mad Cow Disease

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

Thoughts on Hazard's kick/ballboy's purposeful time wasting?

#1496 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

Thoughts on Hazard's kick/ballboy's purposeful time wasting?

There is a separate thread, but, I say fire the ballboy and suspend Hazard for 3 matches without pay. Both have apologized to one another so, move on.

#1497 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

Arsenal looked great yesterday, mostly due to the fact they were playing an off-form West Ham squad, however every player on the team had a good game, especially Wilshere (as usual), Ramsey, Podolski and Giroud.

Still need another center half, box-to-box or defensive midfielder, and a striker. Don't know who Arsenal would look at for the first two, but signing Villa or Jovetic would be marvelous up front.

How 'bout a keeper, Mad Cow? Szczesney is good enough in your eyes? I agree whole-heartedly with the rest of the bold above. Wilshire and Ramsey are both studs, too. Giroud and Walcott up front in a 4-4-2 might work, no?

#1498 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

I love deadline day.

Tonight I'm just going to stay in with a beer watching Sky Sports News. Can't wait.

#1499 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Beckham donating his entire PSG salary to a children's charity.

Class act.

#1500 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

What a match!

WTF was Pepe Reina thinking? Stay in his goal, Reds leave Etihad with 3 points. Aguero's finish was awesome, though... one in a million! 4 sweet goals in the match. Which one was best? I say Stevie G's, but Aguero's was dope, too. Result leaves Reds 9 points out of Champion's League and City 9 behind United.

Best match of the year, so far, in the EPL?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.