The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

England isn't "overrated" because England wasn't rated at all. Many didn't even think they'd get out of the group stages, let alone win their group.

But even when they weren't fancied to win it, the talk in the UK media was all "Nobody expects us to do well this year so we're going to go all the way".

I'm a fan of quite a few of their players but myself and the majority of Scots won't support them in any tournament.

I'm in a bad mood, so I'll take it out on you

England isn't "overrated" because England wasn't rated at all. Many didn't even think they'd get out of the group stages, let alone win their group.

Canadians cheer for England because a lot of Canadians outside of BC COME from England. Not everyone in Canada is of Chinese descent, contrary to what this forum and province suggests.

A lot of non-Italians don't like Italy because of the constant match fixing, cheating, betting, whining, diving that comes out of that country

Canada is a sovereign country yet we still kiss England's butt in everything they do. It seems like Canada will always be dependent. Canada is a multicultural country and most Canadians were born in Canada. In fact, the real Canadians are natives. Also the Canucks dive, whine, cheat and do other crap and am still a Canucks fan. Everyone just hates Italy because they are always relevant in Football like Brazil. England is just the love able losers that everyone cheers for. Everyone pities the weak; jealousy you have to earn.

But even when they weren't fancied to win it, the talk in the UK media was all "Nobody expects us to do well this year so we're going to go all the way".

I'm a fan of quite a few of their players but myself and the majority of Scots won't support them in any tournament.

So what? Do you not think that every country involved had home town media support like that?

If Scotland had a squad would the media just cynically dismiss them right off the bat? If Scotland managed first place in the group stages that they weren't expected to advance from, it would be a national holiday

Canadians cheer for England because a lot of Canadians outside of BC COME from England. Not everyone in Canada is of Chinese descent, contrary to what this forum and province suggests.

Yeah, this province is just overrun by them, eh?

Canada is a sovereign country yet we still kiss England's butt in everything they do. It seems like Canada will always be dependent. Canada is a multicultural country and most Canadians were born in Canada. In fact, the real Canadians are natives. Also the Canucks dive, whine, cheat and do other crap and am still a Canucks fan. Everyone just hates Italy because they are always relevant in Football like Brazil. England is just the love able losers that everyone cheers for. Everyone pities the weak; jealousy you have to earn.

Canucks are also widely hated, if not the most hated team in the league. Thanks for supporting my point.

And I didn't mean that many (or most) Canadians were literally BORN in England, but that's where their lineage rests

Germany / Spain final, imo. Hopefully Germany wins. Ugh. Pains me to say.

Germany hasn't even faced a strong team, and its debatable that Portugal is a strong team. They faced a weak Greece team, average Denmark team and Netherlands (the worst team in the tourney that lost every game). None of these teams have the defense and goalie that Spain and Italy have. In fact, Germany could lose to those defensive teams. Germany has the best offense but defense could be a key to winning the Euro. I don't know who will win but I like Spain's chances and Italy has the potential to upset Germany.

So what? Do you not think that every country involved had home town media support like that?

If Scotland had a squad would the media just cynically dismiss them right off the bat? If Scotland managed first place in the group stages that they weren't expected to advance from, it would be a national holiday

We know from past experiences just to enjoy the games and take them as they come. The English were already planning who they'd play in the final after a win against Sweden in the group stage. They never learn.

Canucks are also widely hated, if not the most hated team in the league. Thanks for supporting my point.

And I didn't mean that many (or most) Canadians were literally BORN in England, but that's where their lineage rests

And thanks for proving my point that everyone loves to hate the best teams. Back to back President's trophy winners, hated because they win and are better than most teams not because of the diving, whining etc. Every team whines and dives but not every team wins. We are hated because we are contenders. I guess you aren't a Canucks fan.

italy deserved it. buffon is clutch. pirlo penalty chip shot = PURE CONFIDENCE.

bye bye england. Hart can be a fill in double for KISS after his tongue routine in the pen. shots.

p.s. portugal is just hanging on thanks to CR7, besides him they're nothing special.

i have a feeling its gonna be a italy vs spain finale.

Edited by î мцšт вяздк чфµ

Hope all you want but Germany is winning this tournament.

I don't see them winning. They have to go through Spain and Italy. Beating Greece is not impressive, let see how they do against much stronger teams.

And thanks for proving my point that everyone loves to hate the best teams. Back to back President's trophy winners, hated because they win and are better than most teams not because of the diving, whining etc. Every team whines and dives but not every team wins. We are hated because we are contenders. I guess you aren't a Canucks fan.

President's Trophy - Stanley Cup = Nothing (that matters)

italy deserved it. buffon is clutch. pirlo penalty chip shot = PURE CONFIDENCE.

bye bye england. Hart can be a fill in double for KISS after his tongue routine in the pen. shots.

p.s. portugal is just hanging on thanks to CR7, besides him they're nothing special.

i have a feeling its gonna be a italy vs spain finale.

Yeah, I have the same feeling too. Italy's defense is just really strong and they drew against Spain. Everyone is just jumping on Germany's bandwagon just because they beat all those weak teams lol! Even without Chielini, Italy did a marvelous job of shutting down England's offense. I mean 8-9 attempts for the whole 120 minutes against Italy was pathetic, while Italy countered with 34 attempts and had 63% possession. Italy is playing a chess match and no one will see it coming once Germany gets defeated by Italy.

President's Trophy - Stanley Cup = Nothing (that matters)

You could say it was pretty damn close, and Boston is right behind the Canucks in the hate department. So my point is valid when it comes to best teams being hated. Its kind of ironic how Germany dives the most in this tourney yet no one mentions it here.

I'm in a bad mood, so I'll take it out on you

what are you talking about, not over rated? They are ranked 5th in the world, IN THE WORLD!!!!

I enjoyed watching that so much I am off to watch the highlights. They were absolutely destroyed, humiliated even. On the other hand though, part of me is quite sad they didnt get through, would love to see what Germany would do to them. If Italy had a Klose or a Gomez, it would have been 6 at least.

The only problem I see the Germans having is with the way Spain passes the ball about the pitch and dominates possession. They'll really have to make the limited number of chances they'll have count. I'm confident they can do it though.

How good is German's defense and goalie if they concede 2 goals to Greece? I just question their defense. Aside from Lahm, they just aren't that impressive on defense. Spain is a pretty balanced team overall, so they will have big problems with them once Iniesta and Xavi opens up their defense.