2152 replies to this topic

#1531 topbananas

topbananas

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

I walked all the way through 20.000 + Celtic fans outside Hampden before the '87-88 United v Celtic Cup Final on a lovely sunny afternoon with my Dundee United scarf on (although my mate wouldn't come with me :-) We had parked at the wrong end.

Why? Because I couldnt be bothered going all the way round the other side and this was the shortest way to the United end.

Nothing happened, just as I figured, other than a few "drunken tubes" singing "spot the loony"

In '64-65 me and my 2 mates stood in the middle of the Celtic end with our Dunfermline scarfs on before it was all seated at a game attended by 108, 000 but we moved to the other end at half time..........again nothing happened, just a few arguments when we scored ...........but we lost 3-2 (one of their goals shouldn't have been allowed but the OF used to get away with murder, even then) That was my first of 8 Cup Finals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwnQfpepUME

why were you wearing a Dunfermline scarf in 65 and a Dundee United scarf in 88?

In 65 you would be safe enough, especially as they won ;-) but in 88 I would say the only thing that saved you was the fact you wore a team scarf. "Scarfers" are never supposed to be targeted at the match......its like an unwritten rule
stan smyl 2.0

Posted Yesterday, 09:07 AM

It's not 7.5 per year, Kesler's at 5 million and Malhotra's at 2.5 million

#1532 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

I think that in general there's a different rule for Celtic and Rangers.

I know for a fact that if I got off the subway at Ibrox wearing a Celtic shirt on a matchday I would be heckled, abused and probably spat on at the very least. I've been on the subway enough times on matchdays to hear the sort of things some of them wish upon Celtic fans. I'm sure the same thing would apply to Rangers fans who decide to hang around Parkhead. There are a good number of nutters out there who have been brainwashed into hating one another.

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck, 06 March 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#1533 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:33 AM

why were you wearing a Dunfermline scarf in 65 and a Dundee United scarf in 88?

In 65 you would be safe enough, especially as they won ;-) but in 88 I would say the only thing that saved you was the fact you wore a team scarf. "Scarfers" are never supposed to be targeted at the match......its like an unwritten rule

Jeez I take it you have never been to a game over here :-)

Dunfermline was my team. However I worked for 11 years in Dundee from 1972 and adopted them as my second team as nearly everyone seemed to support Dundee at that time. I'm a sucker for the underdog.

I got my my first of many match injuries at a Celtic game when my uncles (who were all East Fife fans) took me to a Raith v Celtic game at Starks Park. I was hit a glancing blow on the head by a "screwtop" beer bottle. Fortunately I was only stunned but after the match finished my uncles followed the guy and his pal down to their car and kicked the living crap out of both of them while I watched. In these days there was no crowd segregation.

I saw one of the best fights ever at the Celtic v Dunfermline game in the Hampden bus park.
We had travelled in a bus full of Dunfermline supporters but one of the guys was wearing a Celtic scarf and bringing his wee boy to his first Cup Final wearing his Dunfermline scarf.

Anyway me and my mate had just got back to the bus after the game ended and into our seats when we saw 3 Celtic fans approaching the wee boy who was a bit ahead of his Dad.

One of the louts (they were all a bit drunk and in their mid twenties) pulled the wee boy's Dunfermline scarf off and chucked it on the roof of one of the busses.
Next thing an argument broke out between the the Dad (who was built along the lines of "Begbie" ie not very big) and these 3 fans.

Me and my mate got up to give the Dad "a hand" but before we could reach the argument the Dad had "decked" the three of them.

I reckon the whole thing took about 3 or 4 seconds and the Father wasn't even out of breath when we spoke to him.

Another time '89-90 me and my mate took a Dunfermline supporters bus to Parkhead (Celtic Park) We won 2-0. In these days you expected trouble if you won at Ibrox OR Celtic Park.

We weren't to be disappointed. We had just got back to our bus when the stones started shattering the windows. Remember there were youngsters and women/girls in the bus.

Worse still, there were policemen not far away watching it all. I couldn't believe it.

Anyway our troubles were just starting because a crowd of them charged the bus and we literally had to fight to keep them out. My mate got badly cut and I just had a few bumps and bruises. Luckily some police eventually did arrive but only to usher the bus out and away as quickly as possible. We had a good laugh about it on the way back to Fife but it could have turned nasty if they had managed to get in with any numbers.

Edited by Bodee, 07 March 2013 - 06:39 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#1534 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

DORTMUND!

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#1535 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

DORTMUND!

OK..........I think.
Kevin.jpg

#1536 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

Dortmund will win the competition. They can pretty much concentrate on the Champions League now. Out of the DFB Pokal, way behind in the league. As long as they can grind out wins in the Bundesliga and hold on to 2nd place they can afford to spend more energy on the Champions League.

#1537 topbananas

topbananas

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

Dortmund will win the competition. They can pretty much concentrate on the Champions League now. Out of the DFB Pokal, way behind in the league. As long as they can grind out wins in the Bundesliga and hold on to 2nd place they can afford to spend more energy on the Champions League.

I said that after their group games, I have to say, I was surprised at just how good they are and I would think they are the team that everyone wants to avoid......Bayern are not bad either mind you, all German final?????? at Wembley????? in the FA's 150th year celebrations????? SURELY NOT!!!!!
stan smyl 2.0

#1538 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

I said that after their group games, I have to say, I was surprised at just how good they are and I would think they are the team that everyone wants to avoid......Bayern are not bad either mind you, all German final?????? at Wembley????? in the FA's 150th year celebrations????? SURELY NOT!!!!!

An all German final would not surprise me at all.

Bayern are the only team that would really worry me if I were Dortmund. They're probably the most consistent team in Europe right now and knocked them out of the DFB Pokal last week. I think it would be close but Dortmund would just edge it. And Munich would self destruct after a third Champions League final loss in 4 years.

#1539 topbananas

topbananas

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

An all German final would not surprise me at all.

Bayern are the only team that would really worry me if I were Dortmund. They're probably the most consistent team in Europe right now and knocked them out of the DFB Pokal last week. I think it would be close but Dortmund would just edge it. And Munich would self destruct after a third Champions League final loss in 4 years.

I think the only way they dont face each other at Wembley is they draw each other in the semis ......or, they get a Turkish ref!!! Bayern v Real and Dortmund v Barca in the semis would make for 4 great games
stan smyl 2.0

#1540 bobb

bobb

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1541 topbananas

topbananas

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:58 AM

certainly looking like a Germany/Spain foursome in the semis......a very uninspiring quarter final draw but the semis will be fantastic, whichever way they are paired off
stan smyl 2.0

#1542 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:00 AM

Quite the win for Celtic yesterday.

#1543 topbananas

topbananas

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:04 AM

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
stan smyl 2.0

#1544 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

Didn't see the match, but, read about it and saw highlights. Great finish by Samaras to win it!

I live in Northern British Columbia, Scottish. Here, and in the rest of the province, we have access to a channel called Sportsnet World where I see my Scottish footy. Thing is, we only get 1 or 2 matches a week live. It sucks!

Do you have a suggestion as to where I can consistently stream Celtic's matches? I have been a fan since I was 9 (my Dunbar club wore Celtic 2nd's at the time... Green and Black verticals), but, I rarely get to see live matches. Sometimes, I get lucky and find a good free stream. Mostly, I don't.

Can you help me, dude?

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#1545 susraiders

susraiders

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Anybody have any predictions for the Champions league games?

I'm saying Dortmund over Malaga with Isco and Gotze being the difference makers.
Madrid over Galatasaray with Drogba and Ronaldo trading multiple goals.
Barcelona over PSG with Messi scoring two and Beckham living up to the hype.
Bayern over Juventus with a battle of the goaltenders. This "series" will be the best to watch of the4 and will likely require extra time.

#1546 schneider

schneider

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:53 AM

I'm saying Dortmund over Malaga with Isco and Gotze being the difference makers.
Bayern over Juventus with a battle of the goaltenders. This "series" will be the best to watch of the4 and will likely require extra time.

Dortmund over Malaga, easy, general tandem of Gotze and Reus doing what they do.
Madrid over Gala obviously, Madrid doing what they do as well.
Barca over PSG, but it comes closer than many people think. They only edge them by 1 goal on aggregate is my guess.
Bayern over Juventus with Bayern likely out-pacing Juve, and possibly managing to control Pirlo at least somewhat.

#1547 topbananas

topbananas

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

Agg scores something like:

Dortmund 5 Malaga 1
Barca 5 PSG 2
Madrid 4 Galatasaray 0
Bayern 3 Juventus 1

and I am sorry, if you think Drogba can still cut it at this level you are seriously mistaken, there are reasons (besides money) that since leaving Chelsea he has played in the powerhouse leagues of China and Turkey.

Worst Champions League quarter final draw I can remember, roll on the semis where, whatever way they come out of the heated ball pot, there will be 2 classic ties to watch. The final will be well worth a watch too
stan smyl 2.0

#1548 susraiders

susraiders

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

Agg scores something like:

Dortmund 5 Malaga 1
Barca 5 PSG 2
Madrid 4 Galatasaray 0
Bayern 3 Juventus 1

and I am sorry, if you think Drogba can still cut it at this level you are seriously mistaken, there are reasons (besides money) that since leaving Chelsea he has played in the powerhouse leagues of China and Turkey.

Worst Champions League quarter final draw I can remember, roll on the semis where, whatever way they come out of the heated ball pot, there will be 2 classic ties to watch. The final will be well worth a watch too

I don't believe that he is the player that he used to be, but I think that they will underestimate him and he might sneak in one or two. I also wanted to throw in a wild card in my assumptions.

#1549 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:33 AM

Didn't see the match, but, read about it and saw highlights. Great finish by Samaras to win it!

I live in Northern British Columbia, Scottish. Here, and in the rest of the province, we have access to a channel called Sportsnet World where I see my Scottish footy. Thing is, we only get 1 or 2 matches a week live. It sucks!

Do you have a suggestion as to where I can consistently stream Celtic's matches? I have been a fan since I was 9 (my Dunbar club wore Celtic 2nd's at the time... Green and Black verticals), but, I rarely get to see live matches. Sometimes, I get lucky and find a good free stream. Mostly, I don't.

Can you help me, dude?

Celtic streams are generally pretty hard to come by if the game isn't being broadcast on Sky Sports or ESPN. For other games I'm usually stuck with a crappy Celtic TV stream, where the commentary is so bad and biased that I usually just mute it. If I find any decent streams for games in the future I'll PM them to you.

#1550 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

Celtic streams are generally pretty hard to come by if the game isn't being broadcast on Sky Sports or ESPN. For other games I'm usually stuck with a crappy Celtic TV stream, where the commentary is so bad and biased that I usually just mute it. If I find any decent streams for games in the future I'll PM them to you.

That's funny, Scottish. I always just figured you would get every game on the regular tube. I have often thought of joining CelticTV, but $25 a month seems a little steep for 4 or 5 matches. I have found free Euro and CL streams from various countries in various languages, but, their quality is sketchy. I guess I'll have to settle for a game a month on SportsnetWorld, for now.

I was thinking the other day... I really miss watching Henrik Larsson in his #7 Hoop jersey.

#1551 topbananas

topbananas

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

The Gordon Strachan era begins against Gareth Bale tonight........Brazil is gone now but lets restore some pride.......'mon Scotland get in tae them

stan smyl 2.0

#1552 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

Bale to be booked for diving - 1/100

#1553 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

More like 50/50 !

:lol:

#1554 topbananas

topbananas

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

too little too late, should have been booked for it in Cardiff instead of getting a pen. I hope Adam f**king does him properly this time

Edited by topbananas, 22 March 2013 - 11:23 AM.

stan smyl 2.0

#1555 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

I hate Wales more than the English national team.

Just as arrogant, twice as annoying.

#1556 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

Made a status about it, but crazy result in the Spain v Finland game.
France game ended predictably.

#1557 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

Poor San Marino, LOL

#1558 topbananas

topbananas

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:34 AM

I hate Wales more than the English national team.

Just as arrogant, twice as annoying.

dont hate them any more than the English but I do tar them with the same brush, they are far more sneaky though.....stab you in the back types. Amazing how when you walk into a pub in Wales all of a sudden they all start speaking in Welsh

Poor San Marino, LOL

should never ever be allowed in a qualifying group, absolute joke. UEFA/FIFA really need to introduce pre qualifying for Euros/World Cups qualifying groups.
stan smyl 2.0

#1559 topbananas

topbananas

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:40 AM

The England fans chanting against Rio Ferdinand last night are either complete idiots or Chelsea fans. Woy and the FA made their choice what side of the fence they were sat on when they left him out for "football reasons" when he has been the best English centre half in the Premier league this year. They wanted "JT" and now they realise they have made a massive massive mistake.....love the fact that Rio told them to f**k off, just wish he had done it with the same publicity that Woy did when he snubbed him but no, Rio and Manchester United have far more class than that and Rio did it face to face with Woy. As the Stretford End chant goes "You can stick you're f**king England up your ar*e" and "Once more than England, World Champions twice"
stan smyl 2.0

#1560 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

The England fans chanting against Rio Ferdinand last night are either complete idiots or Chelsea fans. Woy and the FA made their choice what side of the fence they were sat on when they left him out for "football reasons" when he has been the best English centre half in the Premier league this year. They wanted "JT" and now they realise they have made a massive massive mistake.....love the fact that Rio told them to f**k off, just wish he had done it with the same publicity that Woy did when he snubbed him but no, Rio and Manchester United have far more class than that and Rio did it face to face with Woy. As the Stretford End chant goes "You can stick you're f**king England up your ar*e" and "Once more than England, World Champions twice"

Well said. Terry is done as a player, IMO. Can't even find a regular spot in Chelsea's back line. Rio has been a stud this season, and, I have to say, I am a bit shocked. If Vidic ever regains his form, you have a pretty formidable pair back there. Woy will rue the day he left Rio out of the 3 Lion's plans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.