The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

It was a clear penalty - the guy was about to cross the ball, Boateng looks at him, turns his back and deliberately sticks his arm out in the area of the ball. A great call by the ref. Bastuber, Hummels and Boateng are not 'great', merely 'good'. Pirlo will pick them apart.

Silly me, I forgot. They can't be great. They don't play in the Premier League.

The BBC pundits were saying how no team looked invincible (unlike previous tournaments where Spain/France/Germany/Brazil have looked unbeatable), and that if England play well, they could have a chance. Obviously England didn't play well.

The word "average" was used several times to describe both Ukraine and Sweden. Never did they mention that England are more or less at the same level. Particularly against Sweden. Hansen (don't get me started on him) and Shearer both stated that Sweden were a very average side and that England would definitely win. And ITV are worse.

Unrealistic expectations, poor players elevated to God-like statuses and the usual media drivel make rooting for them near impossible.

As for Diamanti - he is the very definition of a REJECT. Bought for nearly £10m, was atrocious, sold back for £2m, and West Ham fans were glad to get even that back. He was awful in the Premier League.

And we both know that had it been an Englishman who had a poor spell at say, Milan or Inter, then it would have been "And on comes -------------- , formerly of AC Milan, who has since returned to England after struggling during his time in Italian football." He sure as hell wouldn't be called a "reject". It's disrespectful IMO.

Silly me, I forgot. They can't be great. They don't play in the Premier League.

The word "average" was used several times to describe both Ukraine and Sweden. Never did they mention that England are more or less at the same level. Particularly against Sweden. Hansen (don't get me started on him) and Shearer both stated that Sweden were a very average side and that England would definitely win. And ITV are worse.

Unrealistic expectations, poor players elevated to God-like statuses and the usual media drivel make rooting for them near impossible.

And we both know that had it been an Englishman who had a poor spell at say, Milan or Inter, then it would have been "And on comes -------------- , formerly of AC Milan, who has since returned to England after struggling during his time in Italian football." He sure as hell wouldn't be called a "reject". It's disrespectful IMO.

Apologies for the numerical points, it's difficult to do this from an iphone!

1. Boateng did play in the Premier League, and wasn't very good. He was sold at cost price back to Germany after throwing a hissy fit. And if you think Badstuber and Hummels are in the same league as Pique, Chiellini, Cole, Pepe - actual 'great' players - then you've got a bizarre perception of ability.

2. England DID win, so kudos to Shearer for calling it. I thought, bar Ibra, Sweden were distinctly average. Their strikers were all very poor, Kallstrom was dreadful, and their defence was far too easy to score against. They deservedly exited at the group stage. I though Ukraine did enough to get through though.

3. Although I generally agree with the 'formerly of AC Milan' bit, I do remember Jonathan Woodgate being called a Real Madrid reject. Quite often.

4. West Ham fans are allowed to call Diamanti a reject, so why can't anyone else? If they call him a reject, and for good reason, I don't see the problem. Name an English player who's gone abroad for £10m and been sold back within 12 months for 20% of the original transfer price. There isn't one.

Btw it's good to have someone to disagree with on footy. All the Spurs fans down here are so agreeable :lol:

Germany hasn't even faced a strong team, and its debatable that Portugal is a strong team. They faced a weak Greece team, average Denmark team and Netherlands (the worst team in the tourney that lost every game). None of these teams have the defense and goalie that Spain and Italy have. In fact, Germany could lose to those defensive teams. Germany has the best offense but defense could be a key to winning the Euro. I don't know who will win but I like Spain's chances and Italy has the potential to upset Germany.

Except of course all of the teams in the group stage which are ranked in the top 10. Nothing compared to the Italians' monumental task of upsetting the vaunted Republic of Ireland. :rolleyes:

oh my god England sucked. Italy deserved to win.

what a fantastic goal by Pirlo!

by the way Kim Källström should go on a fat camp becuase he looks as fit as a fat 70 year old fat injured man

Germany hasn't even faced a strong team, and its debatable that Portugal is a strong team. They faced a weak Greece team, average Denmark team and Netherlands (the worst team in the tourney that lost every game). None of these teams have the defense and goalie that Spain and Italy have. In fact, Germany could lose to those defensive teams. Germany has the best offense but defense could be a key to winning the Euro. I don't know who will win but I like Spain's chances and Italy has the potential to upset Germany.

I don't see them winning. They have to go through Spain and Italy. Beating Greece is not impressive, let see how they do against much stronger teams.

Are you kidding me?

Firstly, I have no idea where you get this idea that Germany is lacking in defence. Hummels has been arguably the defender of the tournement, Lahm is the best Fullback in the world and Badstuber is one of the best young CB's in the world.

Secondly, Germany has played WAY more difficult matches then SPAIN or ITALY and won most in more convincing fashion.

Look at the Germans match's :

Portugal-arguably best counter attacking team in football) and they have the second best player in the world.

Denmark-great young side, played a good tournament if they weren't in group of death.

Holland- Best attacking side in the world on paper, ill admit they had a bad tournement but i beleive that is partialy because after a bad opening game they played portugal and germany.

Greece: Not the greatest side but have been known to cause trouble

Now Spain's match's:

Italy-second best team in group, have done nothing to make me think they can win this tournament, other then Pirlo no one has been consistently good. There not playing a stinky defensive English side this time and against Germany they better be ready to be dominated in possession like they did to England.

Croatia- A decent young squad, I would put them at or just above the same level as Denmark.

Ireland- EASILY the worse side in the tournament.

French-this match was extremely close until they got 2nd goal in the dieing embers of the game.

So in conclusion I strongly disagree with you and think that anyone who has watched the majority of this tournament would/should see that Germany is the strongest side atm and should win. Stranger things have happened but I just cant see anyone beating Germany.

PS. Spains back line is very vulnerable without CP

Edited by klosetotheheart

besides the euro...

whats up there in scotland?

rangers out of the SPL?

even i=m a celtic supporter ..it would be sad and a huge loss for the league

anyways..if a team is bankrupty...there is no other solution

it doesnt matters if its the rangers or a team like gretna

p.s. dont know if there is a seperated thread for european league talk...so i just posted here

besides the euro...

whats up there in scotland?

rangers out of the SPL?

even i=m a celtic supporter ..it would be sad and a huge loss for the league

anyways..if a team is bankrupty...there is no other solution

it doesnt matters if its the rangers or a team like gretna

p.s. dont know if there is a seperated thread for european league talk...so i just posted here

Yep. They won't be in the SPL next year, and it looks like they won't be in Division 1. Maybe division 3, but it's possible that they won't exist at all.

And Azzy, I'll reply to your post in a bit. I have a crap load of work to do but I'll get around to it :P

Yep. They won't be in the SPL next year, and it looks like they won't be in Division 1. Maybe division 3, but it's possible that they won't exist at all.

And Azzy, I'll reply to your post in a bit. I have a crap load of work to do but I'll get around to it   :P

cant believe that they are done forever ..if they restart in the 3rd..they will be back in a few years i guessimagine their fanbase without team...crazy thoughts imo

And Azzy, I'll reply to your post in a bit. I have a crap load of work to do but I'll get around to it :P

cant believe that they are done forever ..if they restart in the 3rd..they will be back in a few years i guessimagine their fanbase without team...crazy thoughts imo

I have stated on here many times that I did not believe they would be kicked out of the SPL and I have indeed been proved wrong, kind of nice that it was Aberdeen who came out and made their No to Newco vote public that was the final nail in their coffin.

I still wouldnt be surprised if something happened and they got away with it...........this police investigation into Craig Whyte seems a little suspicious to me, certainly the timing of it is and the fact the SPL and SFA talking about merger/expansions.......I need to see The Rangers on a fixture list in Division 3 before I wil be 100% convinced :lol:

Steven Davis and Alan McGregor are the latest to come out and say they will not trasfer their contracts also.

I have stated on here many times that I did not believe they would be kicked out of the SPL and I have indeed been proved wrong, kind of nice that it was Aberdeen who came out and made their No to Newco vote public that was the final nail in their coffin.

I still wouldnt be surprised if something happened and they got away with it...........this police investigation into Craig Whyte seems a little suspicious to me, certainly the timing of it is and the fact the SPL and SFA talking about merger/expansions.......I need to see The Rangers on a fixture list in Division 3 before I wil be 100% convinced :lol:

Steven Davis and Alan McGregor are the latest to come out and say they will not trasfer their contracts also.

Yeah, I know. Don't think they'll have too many players left come next week. They're all jumping ship.

Yeah, I know. Don't think they'll have too many players left come next week. They're all jumping ship.

maybe the prospect of £250 per week is not appealing.......will be interesting to see how many are "loyal" on and off the pitch

I would post a meme showing Spain's team(full starting 11) and Portugal(a picture of Ronaldo) but somebody would fire back a picture of Pirlo and title it "the Italian national team"

Spain beats Portugal today 1-0.

or

Portugal beats Spain 1 -0 on PK