The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

Well said. Terry is done as a player, IMO. Can't even find a regular spot in Chelsea's back line. Rio has been a stud this season, and, I have to say, I am a bit shocked. If Vidic ever regains his form, you have a pretty formidable pair back there. Woy will rue the day he left Rio out of the 3 Lion's plans.

Woy will indeed wue the day he left Wio out for Tewwy. I would laugh my c*ck off if they missed out on qualifiying for Bwazil.

There is a distinct possablity they finish 2nd in that group and there will be some really really good teams in that 2nd place playoff's

They are going to have a central defensive pairing of Smalling and Lescott on Tuesday night........you weap what you sow Woy

Woy will indeed wue the day he left Wio out for Tewwy. I would laugh my c*ck off if they missed out on qualifiying for Bwazil.

There is a distinct possablity they finish 2nd in that group and there will be some really really good teams in that 2nd place playoff's

They are going to have a central defensive pairing of Smalling and Lescott on Tuesday night........you weap what you sow Woy

I don't know about you, but, I would watho have Wio and Phiw Jones anchowing the back wine.

Speaking of 2nd place teams, right now, there's also a chance that Spain doesn't move through. Imagine the World Cup without the previous champions! Freakin' Finns just packed the box yesterday. The rest of the world just learned how to counter Spain's attack quite effectively.

• Upvote 1

I don't know about you, but, I would watho have Wio and Phiw Jones anchowing the back wine.

Speaking of 2nd place teams, right now, there's also a chance that Spain doesn't move through. Imagine the World Cup without the previous champions! Freakin' Finns just packed the box yesterday. The rest of the world just learned how to counter Spain's attack quite effectively.

you will have:

Croatia/Belguim. Either would beat England

Portugal/Russia. Portugal would beat England, Russia would be a toss of a coin

Bulgaria/Denmark/Czech Republic. Tough games against Bulgaria/Czech's but England should beat either of two legs. Denmark would be like Russia, too close to call

Bosnia/Greece/Slovakia. Difficult away games but again, England should come through over two legs

Germany/Sweden/Ireland. They better hope the Germans win that group. We all know how much England love playing Sweden and the Irish though............

Hungary/Romania. Would strongly fancy England against these

Spain/France. Either would beat England

Switzerland/Iceland/Albania/Norway. Knowing England's luck, if they do finish second they will draw the runners up of this joke of a group.

Looking at some of these teams that will most likely finish 2nd, they really need to win their group. If they dont, the pressure on them will be unbelievable.......come on Montenegro!!!!!

On your other point, Phil Jones worries me.....he is a phenominal player and I just love watching him play but for one so young he is injured far too often and not just the fact he gets injured so often, the injuries seem to keep him out too long. I hope we can get him fixed up because if we do, we have a hell of a player there.

I have no faith in Smalling at all unfortunately, I think Uniteds best centre back pairing right now is Evans with Rio and Vida alternating games since neither of them can play 3 games a week. Priorities this summer, new centre back, Leighton Baines and Ronaldo

Edited by topbananas

you will have:

Bulgaria/Denmark/Czech Republic. Tough games against Bulgaria/Czech's but England should beat either of two legs. Denmark would be like Russia, too close to call

Bosnia/Greece/Slovakia. Difficult away games but again, England should come through over two legs

Germany/Sweden/Ireland. They better hope the Germans win that group. We all know how much England love playing Sweden and the Irish though............

Switzerland/Iceland/Albania/Norway. Knowing England's luck, if they do finish second they will draw the runners up of this joke of a group.

Looking at some of these teams that will most likely finish 2nd, they really need to win their group. If they dont, the pressure on them will be unbelievable.......come on Montenegro!!!!!

On your other point, Phil Jones worries me.....he is a phenominal player and I just love watching him play but for one so young he is injured far too often and not just the fact he gets injured so often, the injuries seem to keep him out too long. I hope we can get him fixed up because if we do, we have a hell of a player there.

I have no faith in Smalling at all unfortunately, I think Uniteds best centre back pairing right now is Evans with Rio and Vida alternating games since neither of them can play 3 games a week. Priorities this summer, new centre back, Leighton Baines and Ronaldo

Who do you see as a centre half for United? Boateng? Mascherano? Subotic or Hummels? Sakho? I take it you see Evra on the way out, too, eh? Baines is a global top 3 Left back, IMO. Ronaldo, Eh? What are the chances, do you think, of United resigning him?

Any ideas about what we Scousers might do to improve for '13-'14? Is Rodgers the right man for the job? Is Reina done? Who replaces Stevie G as the guy playing behind Suarez and Sturridge? Is Sturridge the right guy to play alongside Suarez? Are Skrtel and Agger the men to anchor the back end? Is it time to let the kids (Suso, Sterling, Coates, Coutinho, Shelvey, Wisdom, Pacheco, etc.) take over?

What say you?

Edit: I noticed you live in Lancashire. Who do you support? I would guess United, by your posts. Other guesses based on geography... Blackpool, Burnley, Morecambe (bahahaa!), Bolton, Preston? I'd guess Wanderers.

Edited by Hugemanskost

Who do you see as a centre half for United? Boateng? Mascherano? Subotic or Hummels? Sakho? I take it you see Evra on the way out, too, eh? Baines is a global top 3 Left back, IMO. Ronaldo, Eh? What are the chances, do you think, of United resigning him?

Any ideas about what we Scousers might do to improve for '13-'14? Is Rodgers the right man for the job? Is Reina done? Who replaces Stevie G as the guy playing behind Suarez and Sturridge? Is Sturridge the right guy to play alongside Suarez? Are Skrtel and Agger the men to anchor the back end? Is it time to let the kids (Suso, Sterling, Coates, Coutinho, Shelvey, Wisdom, Pacheco, etc.) take over?

What say you?

Edit: I noticed you live in Lancashire. Who do you support? I would guess United, by your posts. Other guesses based on geography... Blackpool, Burnley, Morecambe (bahahaa!), Bolton, Preston? I'd guess Wanderers.

I live almost right in between Preston and Bolton.....The Reebok is the closest stadium and easiest to get to from my house but I have been a United fan from the late 70s when I started getting in to football. Im from Aberdeen and Aberdeen have always had a massive United connection, long before Sir Alex. Denis Law's mum and my Grandmother were friends and Martin Buchan grew up just down the street from my Mum. At school in Aberdeen, most of the kids had Liverpool as their English team, a few had Spurs and the rest (including me) had United. My Dad took me to Old Trafford in 1982 for a game against Villa, it was amazing. We followed Aberdeen, home, away, abroad at that time, we had a team worth following. We were in Gothenburg in May 1983 for the Cup Winners Cup final against Real Madrid which was an unbelievable night, but the best night of my football life was the quarter final second leg that year, a 3-2 win over the mighty Bayern Munich at Pittodrie.....unbelievable night that. They were some team then, most of the West Germany team from the previous years World Cup final played for them. cannot believe that was 30 years ago........good God ha ha.

I think there is a huge chance Ronaldo comes home, not sure if it will be this year but he wil be back. Word is that Nike and Chevrolet are funding a huge deal for him, Nike are desperate for him to leave Real Madrid. He said when he left that he would finish his career at United and seeing how he was in the Champions League matches, especially the 2nd leg has convinced me further that he will be back and soon. He is absolutely adored in Manchester, United fans sing his name every week, home and away. As for other potential/wish list transfers, I would love Hummels but I dont think he will leave Germany, we are supposedly in for some young Arentinian centre back, whose name escapes me right now but we desperately need another centre back. I think Vidic will leave and Rio has still not signed/been offered another contract which is very strange given the fact how United normally do their business with the senior pros......As for left back, I have never liked Evra, always thought he was over rated. I said when Baines left Wigan we should have pinched him but he would be a great signing for us but again, he seems happy at Everton and he is a Scouser, either way, we need a new left back and Buttner does not look like that player......at the minute. Mind you, I thought that about Rafael and is turning in to one of the best right backs in the country.

I would love us to get Goetze from Dortmund, he looks a fantastic player and the story about us going for Lebondowski (sp?) will not go away but that does not make much sense.....unless we sell Rooney

As for "your lot" ha ha......I think Rogers is the man for the job, if he is allowed to be so and given the funds to do the job, which is where I have my doubts. Liverpool have no money and while they are at Anfield, the size that it is and getting smaller every year, they will never have the resources to compete at the top level. That entire squad needs an overhaul, keeping Suarez is a must but he is making noises about wanting to play in the Champions League which he wont get at Liverpool in its current state for quite a few years. How do they replace Gerrard and Carragher? They cant, Sturridge has started well but I am not convinced he will get 20 league goals a season. Reina needs a change, he will probably go back to Spain this summer. Coutinho looks a player, must admit I knew nothing about him before he signed, I dont watch Italian football, unless I cant sleep.....but yeah, he looks good. I am really not sure about the rest of Liverpools young ones though, Sterling is a flash in the pan, shocking attitude and he will disappear, I think Zaha is the same Im afraid....they will be great Carling Cup players but thats it. Skirtel and Agger are a decent pairing but they have both had iffy seasons, but if they settle down again, no doubting they are very tough to play against. I think it has taken a while for them to get Rodgers pass first policy.

Believe it or not, I hope Liverpool turn it around and get competitive again, United/Liverpool games that mean something other than local, hostorical pride are fantastic, when we draw each other in the Cup's the games are unbelievable and the atmosphere is like no other....even if we do need plastic mac hats at Anfield ;-) but they must must must sort out the stadium before that can happen

Edited by topbananas

2qmnjq1.jpg

This is a poll on whether Kenny Miller should continue to be called up to the Scotland squad. Got to say I agree with the overwhelming majority. Why they aren't introducing young talent to the squad is beyond me. We have a good group of young players in Tony Watt, Johnny Russell, Gary Mackay Steven, James Forrest (if he ever gets fit) and Jordan Rhodes.

Ideally I'd want a starting lineup like this:

Rhodes/Fletcher

Snodgrass - Morrison - Forrest

Brown - Fletcher

[iNSERT A DEFENSE THAT ISN'T FULL OF BOMBSCARES HERE]

McGregor

And then start integrating the young ones into the team.

2qmnjq1.jpg

This is a poll on whether Kenny Miller should continue to be called up to the Scotland squad. Got to say I agree with the overwhelming majority. Why they aren't introducing young talent to the squad is beyond me. We have a good group of young players in Tony Watt, Johnny Russell, Gary Mackay Steven, James Forrest (if he ever gets fit) and Jordan Rhodes.

Ideally I'd want a starting lineup like this:

Rhodes/Fletcher

Snodgrass - Morrison - Forrest

Brown - Fletcher

[iNSERT A DEFENSE THAT ISN'T FULL OF BOMBSCARES HERE]

McGregor

And then start integrating the young ones into the team.

yeah, I agree. I love Kenny Miller, he is honest and will do anything for Scotland but unfortunately, he is just not up to it anymore. We have some terrific young players who really need to start playing. If I am Rhodes, I would be thinking, "what the **** do I have to do to play" I thought wee ginge would start introducing these younger players. Maybe he will now, Hampden against Wales might not have been the best enviroment for that....the atmosphere at the start of the game was awful and it showed on the park. That said, I dont think the atmosphere tonight will be too friendly either ha ha.

As for our best 11, I dont know. We have so many players right now but I know one thing, it would not include Scott Brown, no Celtic bias here but he is the most over rated player in Scotland and at international level a complete liability.

Some decent players in the under 21s too.

Other news, Derek McInnes new man at Aberdeen. Im good with that but its an impossible job, if he doesnt win the double then the fans are on his back. He will have no money to spend and a squad that needs a complete overhaul. Good luck Derek, you are going to need it..............

you will have:

Ok, whatever helps you sleep at night having to live with this...

GROUP A Team MP W D L GF GA Pts Belgium 6 5 1 0 11 1 16 Croatia 6 5 1 0 10 3 16 Serbia 6 2 1 3 8 7 7 Wales 6 2 0 4 6 14 6 FYR Macedonia 6 1 1 4 3 7 4 Scotland 6 0 2 4 3 9 2

Ok, whatever helps you sleep at night having to live with this...

GROUP A Team MP W D L GF GA Pts Belgium 6 5 1 0 11 1 16 Croatia 6 5 1 0 10 3 16 Serbia 6 2 1 3 8 7 7 Wales 6 2 0 4 6 14 6 FYR Macedonia 6 1 1 4 3 7 4 Scotland 6 0 2 4 3 9 2

awwww, are we upset that we didnt manage to beat a team from a country that has a smaller population than Glasgow? In Scotland, we know we are sh!te, the quicker you lot accept you are too, the less painful nights like tonight will be for you. Nighty night x

I live almost right in between Preston and Bolton.....The Reebok is the closest stadium and easiest to get to from my house but I have been a United fan from the late 70s when I started getting in to football. Im from Aberdeen and Aberdeen have always had a massive United connection, long before Sir Alex. Denis Law's mum and my Grandmother were friends and Martin Buchan grew up just down the street from my Mum. At school in Aberdeen, most of the kids had Liverpool as their English team, a few had Spurs and the rest (including me) had United. My Dad took me to Old Trafford in 1982 for a game against Villa, it was amazing. We followed Aberdeen, home, away, abroad at that time, we had a team worth following. We were in Gothenburg in May 1983 for the Cup Winners Cup final against Real Madrid which was an unbelievable night, but the best night of my football life was the quarter final second leg that year, a 3-2 win over the mighty Bayern Munich at Pittodrie.....unbelievable night that. They were some team then, most of the West Germany team from the previous years World Cup final played for them. cannot believe that was 30 years ago........good God ha ha.

I think there is a huge chance Ronaldo comes home, not sure if it will be this year but he wil be back. Word is that Nike and Chevrolet are funding a huge deal for him, Nike are desperate for him to leave Real Madrid. He said when he left that he would finish his career at United and seeing how he was in the Champions League matches, especially the 2nd leg has convinced me further that he will be back and soon. He is absolutely adored in Manchester, United fans sing his name every week, home and away. As for other potential/wish list transfers, I would love Hummels but I dont think he will leave Germany, we are supposedly in for some young Arentinian centre back, whose name escapes me right now but we desperately need another centre back. I think Vidic will leave and Rio has still not signed/been offered another contract which is very strange given the fact how United normally do their business with the senior pros......As for left back, I have never liked Evra, always thought he was over rated. I said when Baines left Wigan we should have pinched him but he would be a great signing for us but again, he seems happy at Everton and he is a Scouser, either way, we need a new left back and Buttner does not look like that player......at the minute. Mind you, I thought that about Rafael and is turning in to one of the best right backs in the country.

I would love us to get Goetze from Dortmund, he looks a fantastic player and the story about us going for Lebondowski (sp?) will not go away but that does not make much sense.....unless we sell Rooney

As for "your lot" ha ha......I think Rogers is the man for the job, if he is allowed to be so and given the funds to do the job, which is where I have my doubts. Liverpool have no money and while they are at Anfield, the size that it is and getting smaller every year, they will never have the resources to compete at the top level. That entire squad needs an overhaul, keeping Suarez is a must but he is making noises about wanting to play in the Champions League which he wont get at Liverpool in its current state for quite a few years. How do they replace Gerrard and Carragher? They cant, Sturridge has started well but I am not convinced he will get 20 league goals a season. Reina needs a change, he will probably go back to Spain this summer. Coutinho looks a player, must admit I knew nothing about him before he signed, I dont watch Italian football, unless I cant sleep.....but yeah, he looks good. I am really not sure about the rest of Liverpools young ones though, Sterling is a flash in the pan, shocking attitude and he will disappear, I think Zaha is the same Im afraid....they will be great Carling Cup players but thats it. Skirtel and Agger are a decent pairing but they have both had iffy seasons, but if they settle down again, no doubting they are very tough to play against. I think it has taken a while for them to get Rodgers pass first policy.

Believe it or not, I hope Liverpool turn it around and get competitive again, United/Liverpool games that mean something other than local, hostorical pride are fantastic, when we draw each other in the Cup's the games are unbelievable and the atmosphere is like no other....even if we do need plastic mac hats at Anfield ;-) but they must must must sort out the stadium before that can happen

I love talking footy with people like those on this thread!

I understand your supporting ManU over Bolton. Wanderers never really do much, player-wise, to improve. They are mostly going to be a bottom-third / Championship club. I would love to see Ronaldo back in the EPL at Old Trafford. Baines would look good in red, too. I'd rather see him with Reds, though! He'd just have to move dressing rooms cross town. Selling Rooney would be weird, to me. Where would he go? Spain? Italy? Liverpool ( ;) )? That would provide some funds for a new centre back pairing, for sure.

I agree with your assessment of Liverpool. Need more seats to provide $$$ for players. Can't always have owners just buying players with their personal stashes. Carragher and Gerrard are not replaceable. For now, maybe Rodgers goes 5 in the middle with Gerrard and Lucas playing in front of the back 4, Suarez up front, with Sturridge supporting behind, Downing and Hendo wide? Back 4 of Skertl / Agger, Johnson and Enrique wide? Anyways, lots of work to do here!

Lescott and Smalling didn't play particularly well against Macedonia, I don't think. On the tying goal, where were one of them to challenge for the original corner? From what I saw, they spent a lot of time backing off defensively and giving territory to the Macedonian strikers. They were lucky not to concede a couple late due to this. England looked quite good for most of the match and should have secured the 3 points by halftime. Oh, well. On another note, not a thing to say about the Scots. Doesn't matter who's managing, it's still the same old Scots. They remind me of Canada, only Scotland is better.

• 2 weeks later...

Only a set of Scottish Officials could get decisions so wrong........luckily they evened themselves out. Ironically the criticism aimed mostly at referees here in Scotland (other than OF bias) is lack of consistency........well in this match they were consistent in their offside f---kups.

I love this sound clip where the radio commentator (Nobby Dickel.....now there's a name to conjure with) also does the stadium announcements goes into orbit with ecstasy when Dortmund score the winner...........then starts calling for the referee to blow full time.

Notice when Malaga score ....."shizen!"

Just in case you don't get these adds over there.......here is the latest.......a cracker!

Edited by Bodee
  • Upvote 1

Only a set of Scottish Officials could get decisions so wrong........luckily they evened themselves out. Ironically the criticism aimed mostly at referees here in Scotland (other than OF bias) is lack of consistency........well in this match they were consistent in their offside f---kups.

I love this sound clip where the radio commentator (Nobby Dickel.....now there's a name to conjure with) also does the stadium announcements goes into orbit with ecstasy when Dortmund score the winner...........then starts calling for the referee to blow full time.

Notice when Malaga score ....."shizen!"

Just in case you don't get these adds over there.......here is the latest.......a cracker!

Excellent video there !!!

Great goal from Dortmund.

1-1.

iVqU9xILJpaHC.gif

I don't have the video,but the goal by Didier Drogba against Real Madrid in the other matchup was truly amazing......It was also good to see Mourinho hugging and congratulating his former Chelsea player after the match.

Not surprised you do not support Bolton, As a kid i would see United one weekend then Bolton the other(joys of having family that support both)used to have more fun watching Salford reds on a sunday than Bolton.

I would like to see a Bayern-Barca match up next round. Dortmund-Madrid would also be entertaining. I guess you can't really have a bad match up with these teams.

And then a Dortmund Bayern final. With Dortmund winning obviously. I think Munich would just self destruct if they lost another Champions League Final :lol: