The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

I've always admired Ajax. If you put together an all-time best 11 from their history (or even just their recent history), you'd have a squad that could rival almost any other you could build, IMO.

They're a great club for building/finding young talent

Edited by GLASSJAW

er dp

here's an article about ajax 'best 11' vs Madrid's best 11

http://sabotagetimes...st-xi-who-wins/

i only ever saw Hierro at the tail end of his career, but i thought he was a beast.

but man, Ajax's midfield and attacking line are phenomenal. bergkamp, cryuff, van basten

It's a shame that football is entirely reliant on money these days. Big clubs in small leagues (Ajax, Steaua, Celtic etc.) are suffering because of it. Ajax still do a great job of developing and selling on young players though. It's the sort of model that Celtic are trying to implement and it's already starting to produce results (e.g. Wanyama bought for £900,000 and sold for £12 million). But they have a long way to go before they're up there with Ajax.

• Upvote 1

Does Celtic kind of have a monopoly on Scottish talent now, after the whole Rangers ordeal?

Pretty much, especially considering the Champions League money they've been receiving the last 2 years. We get next to no TV money at all so that and player transfers are pretty much our only source of income (plus we have a large fanbase). Celtic have a few young players that they've developed themselves and they'll occasionally buy a stand out player from another SPL side, but much of the young talent from elsewhere in the country tends to go to a poor EPL or Championship team down south. There's isn't much investment in youth development outside of Celtic and Rangers so the game is a bit of a mess at the moment.

I dread to think of what it's like to be a fan of another Scottish team. There's no money up here (in football anyway).

• Group A: Manchester United, Bayer Leverkusen, Real Sociedad, Shakhtar Donetsk
  • Group B: Galatasaray, Real Madrid, FC Copenhagen, Juventus
  • Group C: Benfica, Anderlecht, Olympiakos, Paris St-Germain
  • Group D: Bayern Munich, CSKA Moscow, Viktoria Plzen, Manchester City
  • Group E: Schalke, Steaua Bucharest, Chelsea, FC Basel
  • Group F: Marseille, Arsenal, Napoli, Borussia Dortmund
  • Group G: Austria Vienna, Porto, Atletico Madrid, Zenit St Petersburg
  • Group H: AC Milan, Celtic, Barcelona, Ajax

Celtic are in for a tough task. Really, really, really difficult group. In saying that, we did the "impossible" last year, so might do OK. We can beat anyone at Celtic Park. My hugely, hugely ambitious predictions. Bold to go through, italics third place.

I agree with your picks other than Porto for Zenit. Very tough group for Celtic, but they all look rather hard to be honest.

Shaktar warned about the goat thing too... I won't comment...

So, don't know a lot about the Pukki dude, other than he should be a good scorer at least in domestic competition. I really hope the new signings start doing something. The team is just not the same without Wanyama, Wilson and Hooper.

Also, my league prediction for the top four in the BPL:

Man Citeh, U, Tottenham, Chelsea.

I think the bottom four is harder to choose.

Also, if Bale is being sold and Citeh and Chelsea have all this cash why not go for him? For me Bale-Negredo-Navas would be a nice front three!!

Edited by bobb

Also, if Bale is being sold and Citeh and Chelsea have all this cash why not go for him? For me Bale-Negredo-Navas would be a nice front three!!

I think they're smart enough to realize Bale isn't worth 90M. And end of day, he'll go to Madrid instead of London or Manchester