The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

In addition, Ajax Hooligans are well known in Western Europe. When Ajax played in Dortmund last year, they destroyed one passenger car of the local metro and the police arrested like 50 of them. I don't really get it why they behave like this. Normally international games are really nice in tolerant countries, when you can visit a new city and drink beer with the locals. I don't know why you'd want to spoil this against a non-enemy-club (i could understand it against Twente Enschede, because they are befriended with Herne, but Ajax?)

Yeah, it's a shame. I can't see Celtic fans going to cause trouble in Amsterdam. I'm hoping that Ajax fans don't attempt to start anything this week. The rumour is that 10,000 (EDIT: Now I'm hearing 15,000) Celtic fans are going to be there (not all at the game, but there are a huge number traveling across the North Sea).

Where in Europe are you from? Dortmund fan?

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck

Sorry if you've addressed this before, but how did you end up a dortmund fan? As a fan with unconventional allegiances, I'm always eager to hear others' stories.

I've always liked them dating back to when i got their shirt as a gift when I was a kid just before their 1997 run.

I became disinterested with football for a while (was a rugby player at school) but when I started watching again German football appealed to me. I've loved Germany since I first visited. I love Klopps style of football and being a Celtic fan always appreciate a good atmosphere, and there used to be a few Dortmund fans on here who posted about them. So I wasn't born into it or anything. Ive just always been fond of the club. Celtic will always come first but I haven't missed a game that didn't clash with Celtic for 2 or 3 years.

• Upvote 1

I've always liked them dating back to when i got their shirt as a gift when I was a kid just before their 1997 run.

I became disinterested with football for a while (was a rugby player at school) but when I started watching again German football appealed to me. I've loved Germany since I first visited. I love Klopps style of football and being a Celtic fan always appreciate a good atmosphere, and there used to be a few Dortmund fans on here who posted about them. So I wasn't born into it or anything. Ive just always been fond of the club. Celtic will always come first but I haven't missed a game that didn't clash with Celtic for 2 or 3 years.

outstanding. thanks for the explanation. I grew up in Paris supporting PSG so they've always been my number one team, but through various ways i've ended up supporting roma, NY red bulls, and cruzeiro as my secondary teams. Good luck in the champions league, that's a tough group you have on your hands. (minus marseille, who i hope loses every game ever, for the rest of time)

edit: i was speaking of dortmund, but you have two tough groups on your hands... good luck with that other one too.

Edited by La Mauviette75

outstanding. thanks for the explanation. I grew up in Paris supporting PSG so they've always been my number one team, but through various ways i've ended up supporting roma, NY red bulls, and cruzeiro as my secondary teams. Good luck in the champions league, that's a tough group you have on your hands. (minus marseille, who i hope loses every game ever, for the rest of time)

edit: i was speaking of dortmund, but you have two tough groups on your hands... good luck with that other one too.

Thanks. My brother is a big Roma fan. Shame their run ended tonight but I guess it had to at some point. Good result for PSG with Monaco losing today too.

I often think of myself as a traitor sometimes to the teams I support haha. I haven't been a fan of Dortmund for very long, maybe 3 years, but when Gotze came through the ranks, I greatly admired the way they played and Klopp's style. At the time I was a Bayern fan, and to this day I am a Bayern fan. I often find myself liking a team because of a certain player, I mean what drew me to Arsenal was the signing of Thierry Henry. But just like La Mauviette75 I support many teams. Are you guys the same, do you have teams you support in each league?

I often think of myself as a traitor sometimes to the teams I support haha. I haven't been a fan of Dortmund for very long, maybe 3 years, but when Gotze came through the ranks, I greatly admired the way they played and Klopp's style. At the time I was a Bayern fan, and to this day I am a Bayern fan. I often find myself liking a team because of a certain player, I mean what drew me to Arsenal was the signing of Thierry Henry. But just like La Mauviette75 I support many teams. Are you guys the same, do you have teams you support in each league?

I have teams that I'll root for if I see them playing, but I only really follow Celtic and Dortmund. Everyone here (Scotland) seems to have an EPL team except me. I'll watch Arsenal because they play nice football and I have a soft spot for Everton and Norwich but I wouldn't say I supported them.

Where in Europe are you from? Dortmund fan?

Born 30km from Dortmund, several family members (not my parents though, kinda strange) have or had season tickets, so no chance to end with an other club ;)

At the moment i live like 150km away and it's kinday annoying to get to Dortmund via railroad (about 2,5 hours), so no more than 5 or 6 games per season (have been in Frankfurt, in Duisburg with the U23, against Freiburg and Hannover in Dortmund so far, Neapel is ordered). In addition it's kinda hard to get tickets too...

I really hope we will play against Celtic in the next year. Regarding the athmosphere that would be amazing, although the crowd in Dortmund is utterly bad right now in comparison to like 3 years ago. Success is attracting too many people not really interested in the club. Speaking of athmosphere and Duisburg, that might have been the best BVB-game so far this season (together with Osnabrück vs BVB U23 and way better than any game of the first team so far):

Celtic Park is one of the stadiums in Europe i want to visit so badly (and i really loved the black away jersey from last or second last season)

Other clubs: hard. I like Celtic mostly because of the athmosphere but i don't follow the scottish league. I kinda like Freiburg and Augsburg because of the incredible work which is done there (and in addition Christian Streich of Freiburg is an amazing coach). Oh and i cheer for every club beating the other famous club from the ruhr area everybody hates in Dortmund of course. Swansea is kinda interesting though, but i barely watch anything besides of german football and CL

Edited by DennisK-Meson

Born 30km from Dortmund, several family members (not my parents though, kinda strange) have or had season tickets, so no chance to end with an other club ;)

At the moment i live like 150km away and it's kinday annoying to get to Dortmund via railroad (about 2,5 hours), so no more than 5 or 6 games per season (have been in Frankfurt, in Duisburg with the U23, against Freiburg and Hannover in Dortmund so far, Neapel is ordered). In addition it's kinda hard to get tickets too...

I really hope we will play against Celtic in the next year. Regarding the athmosphere that would be amazing, although the crowd in Dortmund is utterly bad right now in comparison to like 3 years ago. Success is attracting too many people not really interested in the club. Celtic Park is one of the stadiums in Europe i want to visit so badly (and i really loved the black away jersey from last or second last season)

Other clubs: hard. I like Celtic mostly because of the athmosphere but i don't follow the scottish league. I kinda like Freiburg and Augsburg because of the incredible work which is done there (and in addition Christian Streich of Freiburg is an amazing coach). Oh and i cheer for every club beating the other famous club from the ruhr area everybody hates in Dortmund of course. Swansea is kinda interesting though, but i barely watch anything besides of german football and CL

The atmosphere still looks incredible. At Celtic we don't get the same big crowds for league games that we used to (tickets are too expensive for the quality of football that is played and there's no competition) and the atmosphere is pretty poor. European nights are fantastic though. I would love to play Dortmund if we qualify (which is a big ask right now), but I'd be torn on who to cheer for :lol: I guess it would have to be Celtic.

I'm planning on visiting Dortmund for a game soon, if I can save up some money.

The atmosphere still looks incredible. At Celtic we don't get the same big crowds for league games that we used to (tickets are too expensive for the quality of football that is played and there's no competition) and the atmosphere is pretty poor. European nights are fantastic though. I would love to play Dortmund if we qualify (which is a big ask right now), but I'd be torn on who to cheer for :lol: I guess it would have to be Celtic.

I'm planning on visiting Dortmund for a game soon, if I can save up some money.

How much do you pay for a ticket in Glasgow? When i ever come to visit the UK, i definitely want to go there, but i don't think it will happen soon

When you want to come to Dortmund, i might be able to help with that. There are many people bleating that you don't get tickets, but it's not exactly true. For the top games (Bayern, derby, CL) it's really hard, but for the other games you just need to know how to get tickets...

How much do you pay for a ticket in Glasgow? When i ever come to visit the UK, i definitely want to go there, but i don't think it will happen soon

When you want to come to Dortmund, i might be able to help with that. There are many people bleating that you don't get tickets, but it's not exactly true. For the top games (Bayern, derby, CL) it's really hard, but for the other games you just need to know how to get tickets...

The cheapest tickets for league games are £26 (30 Euro), which doesn't sound too bad but they would get a lot more people through the gates if they reduced the prices. It still costs too much when you consider the quality of football. The attendance is usually about 46,000. Champions League single tickets are usually about £50 (60 Euro). They can be difficult to get a hold of but I could have got tickets for all of the games this year quite easily if I wanted to. Unfortunately the only game I could make was the Barcelona one, but I was at all three group stage games last year.

I've seen Dortmund tickets being sold on Viagogo but usually they're pretty expensive.

And it's highly unethical to support viagogo

For most league games it's not really difficult to get tickets from the online-ticketshop, you'd just have to be fast. Most bandwagoners are not interested in watching games against Augsburg for example and many people seem to be too stupid to use the onlineshop (there are so many people complaining it's impossible to get tickets, but they are either lying or incredibly stupid). I wanted to get decent tickets (cheapest category, southwest or southeast corner when i go alone) for the games against Freiburg and Hannover and i got them without any problem (although i overslept the members-presale for both games which was kinda dumb). If you know when the sale starts, you register and log in before the sale and you have seen the shop at least once, it's not really hard, so there is no point in using viagogo or ebay except of the "special games". Cheapest tickets are the same price for Dortmund (30€)

CL prices are normally the same, there are only some games (Bayern, derby, CL topgames like Real Madrid last season) where the prices are increased by 20%. But it's really hard to get tickets for CL-games (didn't get the two necessary tickets for Arsenal, Napoli was club members only)

I thik 30-40€ is kinda ok when you go there once, sounds good (if i only had time...)

Edited by DennisK-Meson

Sorry if you've addressed this before, but how did you end up a dortmund fan? As a fan with unconventional allegiances, I'm always eager to hear others' stories.

"unconventional allegiances"? sure! you born in São Paulo state and support Cruzeiro (a team from Minas Gerais state). it´s basically the same thing if you born in Toronto and support the Canucks (or vice-versa)...

And it's highly unethical to support viagogo

For most league games it's not really difficult to get tickets from the online-ticketshop, you'd just have to be fast. Most bandwagoners are not interested in watching games against Augsburg for example and many people seem to be too stupid to use the onlineshop (there are so many people complaining it's impossible to get tickets, but they are either lying or incredibly stupid). I wanted to get decent tickets (cheapest category, southwest or southeast corner when i go alone) for the games against Freiburg and Hannover and i got them without any problem (although i overslept the members-presale for both games which was kinda dumb). If you know when the sale starts, you register and log in before the sale and you have seen the shop at least once, it's not really hard, so there is no point in using viagogo or ebay except of the "special games". Cheapest tickets are the same price for Dortmund (30€)

CL prices are normally the same, there are only some games (Bayern, derby, CL topgames like Real Madrid last season) where the prices are increased by 20%. But it's really hard to get tickets for CL-games (didn't get the two necessary tickets for Arsenal, Napoli was club members only)

I thik 30-40€ is kinda ok when you go there once, sounds good (if i only had time...)

Thanks for the advice. If I'm able to visit at some point I'll keep an eye on the online ticket shop. I would happily go to a game against anyone.

In the meantime I'll start practicing my German again :P

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck

Great week. Lost the games vs Arsenal, lost the game in Wolfsburg, Subotic might be out for the rest of the season. Damn it

Oh yeah, and three games with absolutely ridiculous referees in the last 12 monts, two of them against Wolfsburg and both of them were wins for Wolfsburg. Totally not suspicious at all

€: Subotic on fb: "Sady I did not get good news regarding my injury. 2 of my ACL's are torn." fack

Edited by DennisK-Meson

Great week. Lost the games vs Arsenal, lost the game in Wolfsburg, Subotic might be out for the rest of the season. Damn it

Oh yeah, and three games with absolutely ridiculous referees in the last 12 monts, two of them against Wolfsburg and both of them were wins for Wolfsburg. Totally not suspicious at all

€: Subotic on fb: "Sady I did not get good news regarding my injury. 2 of my ACL's are torn." fack

I only saw the second half today but I wasn't too impressed with the referee. At least Sokratis is here this year. I have a lot more faith in him than I did Santana.

Means the Bayern game in 2 weeks time is pretty much a must win. They're not dropping many points.

I'm pretty sure, that we won't hit 85+ points with all the injuries, no matter if we win against Bayern or not. In this case it shouldn't be enough to outdo them. I can live with it though, Bayern is pretty much unbeatable over the whole season if you aren't really lucky with injuries and form problems. It's most important to save the direct Champions League spot

The game was kinda bad by Dortmund and some guys looked really tired, together with the bad referee and some bad luck (freekick from Reus in the 2nd half, Olic is generally too bad to hit a truck from 5 meters away and scored a beautiful goal today), it was just not enough

Edited by DennisK-Meson