The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

4 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

After watching the Rennes/Arsenal game today I'm again reminded of how unjust it is for a team to have to play short handed if one of its players gets two yellow cards.  Throw him out of the game, sure, but allow his team to substitute for him.  The team loses one of its starters and has to use up one of its substitutions in an unplanned manner - that's penalty enough.  If the team has already used up all its substitutions then it has to play short handed but that will usually only happen in the last fifteen minutes or so.  To demand that a team plays twenty, thirty or, as in the case today, fifty minutes short handed is over-kill.  Plus, from a spectator's point of view, a team playing short handed  dramatically affects the game, not in a good way.

I'd really like to see this rule changed.

Or Sokratis and co. can do a better job of not allowing Sarr to be getting in behind in the first place.  Likewise, Emery can set up his team to defend the 1-1 tie in the second half, knowing that the job is 100% easier to get it done at home, having the away goal.

Now, we have to score 2 goals without our best defender and Lacazette still suspended.  I think we'll get it done but its unnecessarily harder than it needed to be.

Hardly unfair, imo.  A severe case of tactical mismanagement, I think definitely.

16 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Or Sokratis and co. can do a better job of not allowing Sarr to be getting in behind in the first place.  Likewise, Emery can set up his team to defend the 1-1 tie in the second half, knowing that the job is 100% easier to get it done at home, having the away goal.

Now, we have to score 2 goals without our best defender and Lacazette still suspended.  I think we'll get it done but its unnecessarily harder than it needed to be.

Hardly unfair, imo.  A severe case of tactical mismanagement, I think definitely.

I suppose you can always say that a player can avoid punishment, no matter how unjust, by not taking fouls.  But they will still take fouls.  And so the question remains:  does the penalty suit the foul?  And I would repeat that, IMO, forcing a team to play a man short after one of its players has taken two yellow cards is overkill.

As far as Arsenal goes, it's a pretty important week ahead.  Beat United on Sunday and they will be in a position to compete for a spot in next season's Championship League.  Lose, and they might not even make it to the Europa League.

Then, on Thursday, it's the return match against Rennes in the Europa League.  Win and they're in the quarter-finals.  Lose, and they could be in sixth place in the League and out of the Europa competition.  

Fun times.

2 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I suppose you can always say that a player can avoid punishment, no matter how unjust, by not taking fouls.  But they will still take fouls.  And so the question remains:  does the penalty suit the foul?  And I would repeat that, IMO, forcing a team to play a man short after one of its players has taken two yellow cards is overkill.

As far as Arsenal goes, it's a pretty important week ahead.  Beat United on Sunday and they will be in a position to compete for a spot in next season's Championship League.  Lose, and they might not even make it to the Europa League.

Then, on Thursday, it's the return match against Rennes in the Europa League.  Win and they're in the quarter-finals.  Lose, and they could be in sixth place in the League and out of the Europa competition.  

Fun times.

Fair enough, we'll have to agree to disagree.  Maybe not the best team to use in this example but Atleti went down to ten men insides 9 minutes when they visited the Emirates last season.  The found a way to get a result and then got the victory at home in the return leg.  That's what good teams (and what good managers) are able to do.  For me, there's no reason why Arsenal shouldn't have left Rennes with a 1-1, or at worst, a 2-1 defeat, even with their circumstances.

Fun times, indeed.  I personally hope we play our hearts out on Sunday rather than saving it for Thursday.  Our schedule is much more favourable to us than United and Chelsea and even Spurs, who are only 4 points ahead while still having Liverpool and City to play.

• Upvote 1

On 3/8/2019 at 12:51 PM, Alain Vigneault said:

Fun times, indeed.  I personally hope we play our hearts out on Sunday rather than saving it for Thursday.  Our schedule is much more favourable to us than United and Chelsea and even Spurs, who are only 4 points ahead while still having Liverpool and City to play.

Mission accomplished.

Now, go out and clobber Rennes on Thursday and it will have been a pretty good week for the Gunners.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Cristiano, the CL GOAT.

Biggest big game player in football history.

Nobody performs like him under the bright lights.

There is a little fellow named Diego Maradona that might disagree with that statement...

Federico Bernardeschi was absolutely brilliant

While we're at this topic...

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/cristiano-ronaldo-new-documents-emerge-in-rape-allegations-a-1241349.html

'It Was Rough' New Documents Emerge in Ronaldo Rape Allegations

Cristiano Ronaldo continues to make his fans happy on the field. Off of it, however, things aren't looking so bright: A woman has accused him of raping her in 2009, and there is an extremely sensitive document that supports her story. His lawyers say it is a fabrication. Is it? By DER SPIEGEL Staff

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Alphonso Davies just scored his first Bundesliga goal against Mainz for a 6-0 lead. He's playing as a left back today.

Classic Bayern match where the opponent just laid flat and let Bayern steamroll them. Pathetic. Wish that would happen to us that often.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

Alphonso Davies just scored his first Bundesliga goal against Mainz for a 6-0 lead. He's playing as a left back today.

Classic Bayern match where the opponent just laid flat and let Bayern steamroll them. Pathetic. Wish that would happen to us that often.

Best video I could find to post (some were geo-blocked):

Edit: Lol, and looks like they blocked this content sometime after I posted it.

Here’s another look (we’ll see how long it takes to shut down this video):

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

2 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

What are they doing to him?

Trying to run him into another David Alaba? Lol

2 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

What are they doing to him?

Trying to run him into another David Alaba? Lol

Was already 5-0 when he came on, so Kovac might have been in a mood to try something. Or it's just Kovac being weird. Which wouldn't surprise me either.

• Upvote 1