Scottish⑦Canuck

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

All English Champions League and Europa League finals.

 

Here's my wish list:

 

Reds over Spurs.

 

Gunners over Blues.

 

Then there would be 5 English clubs in the Champions League next season.  The Gunners would have a trophy while Spurs would go back to their nice, shiny bed pan stadium empty handed.  I do admit the Spurs new digs looks fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 11:26 PM, thedestroyerofworlds said:

All English Champions League and Europa League finals.

 

Here's my wish list:

 

Reds over Spurs.

 

Gunners over Blues.

 

Then there would be 5 English clubs in the Champions League next season.  The Gunners would have a trophy while Spurs would go back to their nice, shiny bed pan stadium empty handed.  I do admit the Spurs new digs looks fantastic.

It looks fantastic but like most new stadiums, in England in particular, it's a soulless vacuum. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh well. We played our third best season of all time in the Bundesliga and it still wasn't enough. Bayern played a ridiculous second half. Kudos to them.

 

The best thing about this season is that we are 43 points ahead of Sch*lke. :frantic:

 

Now I hope some of the rumoured transfers come true. Heja BVB!

Edited by Lateralus91

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lateralus91 said:

Oh well. We played our third best season of all time in the Bundesliga and it still wasn't enough. Bayern played a ridiculous second half. Kudos to them.

 

The best thing about this season is that we are 43 points ahead of Sch*lke. :frantic:

 

Now I hope some of the rumoured transfers come true. Heja BVB!

In: Schulz, Brandt, and one of van de Beek/Ziyech?

 

Out:  Dahoud/Weigl, Toljan, Toparak?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

In: Schulz, Brandt, and one of van de Beek/Ziyech?

 

Out:  Dahoud/Weigl, Toljan, Toparak?

Actually, forgot about Thorgan Hazard as an "in".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

In: Schulz, Brandt, and one of van de Beek/Ziyech?

 

Out:  Dahoud/Weigl, Toljan, Toparak?

 

16 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Actually, forgot about Thorgan Hazard as an "in".

Something like that, yes. Brandt and Hazard for a combined 50-60m € would be amazing on its own.

 

Out as well: Schürrle and maybe Philipp. Guerreiro might be a candidate as well (PSG interested?)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Lateralus91 said:

 

Something like that, yes. Brandt and Hazard for a combined 50-60m € would be amazing on its own.

 

Out as well: Schürrle and maybe Philipp. Guerreiro might be a candidate as well (PSG interested?)

Forgot about Schurlle.  What a fall from grace haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Forgot about Schurlle.  What a fall from grace haha.

Our record transfer. One of the weirdest signings we ever made. :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

"Mario Gotze smile for the world!" 

 

World Cup game winning hero to the list of where are they now?

Two years ago he was out for more than half a year because it was discovered he was suffering from a metabolic disease. He still isn't his old self yet (probably never will be) but he has been one of our best players this season. Certainly the most improved player. While he barely played at the beginning of the season he was pretty much guaranteed a starting spot during the second half of the season.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coincidentally Götze published an article on The Player's Tribune yesterday:

 

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/mario-gotze-danke-dortmund


 

Quote

 

For me, hell is not being able to play football. It’s really that simple.

For most of my life, I didn’t face any big hardships. Everything was smooth, and I got to live my dream at a very young age. I walked out in front of the Yellow Wall at 17. I played under two of the greatest managers in football. I scored in a World Cup final at 22.

To be honest, I was so young that it didn’t really sink in, what I was living. I didn’t appreciate it like you might imagine.

And then I got sick. And everything nearly went away.

But let’s not start there. Let’s start with a good memory. We’ll start with Mr. Klopp.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After today's final...

 

Must-go:  Chambers, Elneny, Jenkinson, Ospina, Mustafi, Lichtsteiner

Should-go:  Mkhitaryan, Ozil, Kolasinac, Monreal, Koscielny, Martinez

Keep unless fantastic transfer offer:  Aubameyang, Lacazette, Xhaka, Iwobi

Keep: Leno, Bellerin, Holding, Sokratis, Maitland-Niles, Torreira, Guendouzi

 

:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly an unimpressive performance by Arsenal.

 

But you have to wonder what might have been, both today and in the league, had Ramsey not gotten hurt.  I suspect that injury cost Arsenal a spot in the Champions League.

 

Ah well....all eyes on Saturday now.  Don't really care which team wins but hoping for an entertaining match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Certainly an unimpressive performance by Arsenal.

 

But you have to wonder what might have been, both today and in the league, had Ramsey not gotten hurt.  I suspect that injury cost Arsenal a spot in the Champions League.

 

Ah well....all eyes on Saturday now.  Don't really care which team wins but hoping for an entertaining match.

Considering he was the main reason we won Chelsea (H) this season, I imagine he would have made a decent impact on yesterday's game.  In fact, he carried us for most stretches this season and we finished as high as we did because of him.

 

The problems go beyond Ramsey's absence (soon to be permanent) though.  The defence isn't good enough, the mentality of the team has been dire for the last few seasons, our "best" players are all near the wrong side of 30, and we have possibly the worst transfer (selling and recruiting) processes in all of Europe, especially for a team that relies on operational money and not funds from their owner.

 

It'll be a good summer if most of the effort is selling and scavenging whatever money we can get for the deadweight/not good enough players.  I could care less about recruitments unless they're coming in the form of players under the age of 24 and have had a decent impact at their respective teams.

 

Also...under no circumstance is a Tottenham win acceptable, especially in a week where we just lost our European final to a London-based team.  So, if by entertaining you mean a 6-0 Liverpool win, then yes, give me an entertaining final.  Anything other than a Liverpool win is disastrous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Considering he was the main reason we won Chelsea (H) this season, I imagine he would have made a decent impact on yesterday's game.  In fact, he carried us for most stretches this season and we finished as high as we did because of him.

 

The problems go beyond Ramsey's absence (soon to be permanent) though.  The defence isn't good enough, the mentality of the team has been dire for the last few seasons, our "best" players are all near the wrong side of 30, and we have possibly the worst transfer (selling and recruiting) processes in all of Europe, especially for a team that relies on operational money and not funds from their owner.

 

It'll be a good summer if most of the effort is selling and scavenging whatever money we can get for the deadweight/not good enough players.  I could care less about recruitments unless they're coming in the form of players under the age of 24 and have had a decent impact at their respective teams.

 

Also...under no circumstance is a Tottenham win acceptable, especially in a week where we just lost our European final to a London-based team.  So, if by entertaining you mean a 6-0 Liverpool win, then yes, give me an entertaining final.  Anything other than a Liverpool win is disastrous.

I don't understand how Arsenal let Ramsey go without getting anything in return.

 

And your prediction for the summer looks about right:

 

"Unai Emery wants to launch a major summer rebuild after Arsenal’s Europa League Final disaster - but will have to do it on a strict budget.

Emery was desperate for the club to get back into the Champions League to give him the funds to help fund a major overhaul of his players.

Gunners boss Emery wants to completely shake up the squad and sees this summer as key to his entire time at Arsenal.

But Emery has been left with as little as £40m to spend on new players and must do it amid a difficult backdrop this summer."

 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/unai-emery-ready-offload-big-16226701

 

Missing out on the Champions League next season was an expensive loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.