The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

9 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Norwich City, eh?   My, my, my.      

Their head coach Daniel Farke is from my home town. Rumours are already saying he is on of the top candidates to be the next Dortmund coach. Love his style of play. Norwich are really fun to watch.

Edited by Lateralus91
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Ter Stegen a mile off his line and TWO Barcelona players encroaching and VAR picks up on neither.

Plus some weird decisions when it comes to awarding bookings (Delaney, Artur, Lenglet).

Still, we should have scored at least 3 today. Ridiculously bad finishing plus a brilliant ter Stegen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 3:34 PM, Chip Kelly said:

What's going on with Alphonso Davies?

He was playing left back or full back today vs some bum Bundesliga team who almost pulled a huge upset over Bayern.

apparently he played both on the wing and in left back/wingback position a bunch in the preseason. looks like bayern's regular leftback is out for a month, so they're giving him a go since i don't think he's going to be starting on the attack

• Upvote 1

watched the manchester united - arsenal game

hardly a classic. first 35-40 minutes was pretty bland from both sides, but thought arsenal looked a bit worse. not as bad as marcus rashford, mind you, who continues to disappoint. i thought i lack confidence! this pile of nerves turns 22 in a few weeks, almost has 200 appearances for the club, and people are still defending him like he's a teenage prodigy. at what point does manchester just move on?

second half was better - thought arse was lucky to get the draw. united's defense giving up on the presumed offside was ugly, but not sure they would have stopped the goal anyway

mctominay should have had the go-ahead with the header

xhaka ducking out of the way for the goal was hilarious -- captain's example...

pogba had two or three brilliant passes, and his shot towards the end was a close call. but this dude just isn't in it. either he needs to be more consistent or he should be shipped off to madrid or juventus, while rashford heads to coventry

thought united was lucky with all their sloppy tackling, probably could have been a few more cards in there

Edited by GLASSJAW

On 10/1/2019 at 1:57 PM, Lateralus91 said:

Well, that's a drubbin for the Spurs :shock:

I assume you're talking about the Bayern match?

....because they backed it up yesterday with a 3-nil loss to Brighton.:picard:

City losing 2-nil at home to Wolves is a bit of a shock too....

29 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yes. That was a cumulation of Bayern scoring on just about every shot in the second half and the Spurs just giving up.

If Liverpool don't win the championship this year, then they probably never will. 8 points ahead already.

On 10/6/2019 at 7:18 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

That was a shock. You could see it happening from the first 20 minutes as Wolves were through 3 times and should have scored at least once. We sat in the stand next to the Wolves fans who took great delight in letting us know the scores

• 2 weeks later...

Alphonso Davies played his first game start-to-finish yesterday against Union Berlin. He played left back and was involved in the second goal. Can't tell you much else though. I have only seen the highlight reel. There was a more important game on at the same time. ;)

• Upvote 1

On 10/27/2019 at 1:49 AM, Lateralus91 said:

Alphonso Davies played his first game start-to-finish yesterday against Union Berlin. He played left back and was involved in the second goal. Can't tell you much else though. I have only seen the highlight reel. There was a more important game on at the same time. ;)

Seems they are trying to mold him into another David Alaba potentially?

5 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Seems they are trying to mold him into another David Alaba potentially?

I don't think so. It's probably just the lack of alternatives at left back. Bayern's roster is very thin this season in some positions. Alaba is their only out and out left back. If he can't play they really only have Lucas Hernandez who can play there. But Hernandez is also planned as a backup at centre back. Süle is out long term with an ACL so Hernandez will have to play there when he himself recovers from an MCL. So Davies is going to get some games at left back.

Coman and Perisic are pretty decent and Gnabry is probably their best player bar Lewandowski this season. So there have been less opportunities for Davies at the offensive winger positions so far. However, Coman and Gnabry are pretty injury prone as well. I reckon Davies will get a chance there if the situation arises.

Davies played full 90 minutes again. Boateng saw a red card after 10 minutes and Bayern received their worst defeat in the Bundesliga since 2009. Even though they were one man down for 80 minutes they had a terrible game. Davies got an assist for Lewandowski's goal, though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lateralus91 said:

Davies played full 90 minutes again. Boateng saw a red card after 10 minutes and Bayern received their worst defeat in the Bundesliga since 2009. Even though they were one man down for 80 minutes they had a terrible game. Davies got an assist for Lewandowski's goal, though.

Thanks for the updates, keep em coming. 

• Cheers 1