The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

The Situation

The fan service probably won't get better than this. A pure reboot of the game with an extra secondary weapon. A CS fan's dream.

But I see some problems here, first being that it''s too late. It's been seven years since Source and they'll have to do some wicked marketing to get interest back into this game. Problem is, they're marketing the exact same game. Perfect for CS fans, terrible for casual gamers and those who were never fans in the first place. And when you look at CS fans, they're probably in their mid-20s. I'm not sure if the teenage market will be so quick to pick it up.

Truly fan service at its best, but I think it's gonna backfire on them. Or maybe I'm underestimating the video game culture. What do you folks think?

• 11 months later...

Already a thread on this game (started by yours truly), but this game is DOA.

If you look at Steam's game stats, TF2 peaked today with 90,000 players. A remarkable feat, considering how old the game is.

CSGO peaked at 40k, which is pathetic, considering beta DOTA2 peaks at 70k and MW2 peaked at 33k.

CSGO, a brand new game, released in the middle of summer, and only costs $15, peaks at 40,000 players. Keep in mind that's PEAKING. Only 25k people are actually playing it.

Now if you factor in all the Source and 1.6 players, then you've got a lot of people playing cs. But since the community is so divided and full of snobs who don't leave their comfort zone, you're kind of in a bad spot, and CS doesn't stand a chance

Already a thread on this game (started by yours truly), but this game is DOA.

If you look at Steam's game stats, TF2 peaked today with 90,000 players. A remarkable feat, considering how old the game is.

CSGO peaked at 40k, which is pathetic, considering beta DOTA2 peaks at 70k and MW2 peaked at 33k.

CSGO, a brand new game, released in the middle of summer, and only costs $15, peaks at 40,000 players. Keep in mind that's PEAKING. Only 25k people are actually playing it.

Now if you factor in all the Source and 1.6 players, then you've got a lot of people playing cs. But since the community is so divided and full of snobs who don't leave their comfort zone, you're kind of in a bad spot, and CS doesn't stand a chance

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing it a lot the last few days. I used to play way too much CS, played competitive leagues etc.

I've gotten more used to it now compared to source and I like it. The things I griped about before I don't anymore.

By the way, those of you who don't know, you can turn off the tracers for both your own first person view, as well as the tracers of other players (though you should leave these on so you can see people through smoke).

The cvar is r_drawtracers_firstperson 0

That turns off the extremely annoying tracers, and should make aiming and controlling spray a lot easier.

Anybody playing in ESEA?

Those of you who played competitively in CAL and CEVO, which teams did you play for?

Been playing it a lot the last few days. I used to play way too much CS, played competitive leagues etc.

I've gotten more used to it now compared to source and I like it. The things I griped about before I don't anymore.

By the way, those of you who don't know, you can turn off the tracers for both your own first person view, as well as the tracers of other players (though you should leave these on so you can see people through smoke).

The cvar is r_drawtracers_firstperson 0

That turns off the extremely annoying tracers, and should make aiming and controlling spray a lot easier.

Anybody playing in ESEA?

Those of you who played competitively in CAL and CEVO, which teams did you play for?

Cool, dude. I actually remember that team name, and after looking up your ID, I remember a few of the other teams you've played on as well.

I played for a few crappy teams, and then Apesmash (you might remember), and then alotapus/Doubletake/Seraphic (went through some different sponsors, lol) and that team ended up in invite. For some reason on legitproof it only shows the invite matches, and doesn't show the full history.

I don't play competitive anymore, and I won't ever again (too old for that, lol). These days I just scrim once in a while with a few friends IRL who also play.

I'm also 27. I can still frag, but there is no way my reaction times and aim can compete with the kids playing these days. For me now it's more about playing smart angles and timing things well and using nades effectively, so in essence, experience. To be honest though, we never really ran strats at all with alotapus, haha. We'd played together for so long that we just kind of ran around shooting, but we'd know where and when to go just from having played for years.

Like I said, I scrim all the time with friends that I know in real life. We have a vent server of course, so add me on steam friends and we can scrim.

steam username: pookguy (don't ask, I was a kid when I made it)

For some reason, I have ESEA premium but I've never seen it show up on my credit card bill. I know a friend of mine paid for my premium once because he needed me to join his team so the team wouldn't be marked DEAD and they'd lose their ESEA-IM spot, haha. He's probably still paying for my premium since the subscription keeps going until you cancel it. The guys I play with are thinking about making a team for ESEA season 2 (for some stupid reason registration for season 1 was during CS:GO's beta, wtf?), and I might just join on as a spare.

It's not that I'm too old chronologically, GlassJaw, haha. I just don't put a priority on games, since for me, having to play scheduled matches and practice a little is just ridiculous. I don't have the motivation nor the time, lol. I just like to frag once in a while when I'm bored.

To be honest I only like playing with people I know, now. When alotapus died after CAL-Invite s13 and CEVO-main season 7 I completely quit source. I just picked up CS again because my friends decided to play.

Archived