The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Parent

nd84

Parent was never that good. The fact he was playing in the SCF with Philly wasn't a testament to his abilities, it was a testament to Philly's atrocious lack of depth. The bottom pair of Parent and Bartulis hardly played. They just ran their top-four to the ground.

At this point Parent could hope to catch on with a team as a 6th/7th defenceman and hopefully be decent. But he's going to have to work his way up as apparently he had a less-than-stellar AHL season. There's still potential there, but at 24 I don't know how much there is.

I wish him the best, but can't see him passing Rome, Alberts or Tanev on the depth chart.

Parent was never that good. The fact he was playing in the SCF with Philly wasn't a testament to his abilities, it was a testament to Philly's atrocious lack of depth. The bottom pair of Parent and Bartulis hardly played. They just ran their top-four to the ground.

At this point Parent could hope to catch on with a team as a 6th/7th defenceman and hopefully be decent. But he's going to have to work his way up as apparently he had a less-than-stellar AHL season. There's still potential there, but at 24 I don't know how much there is.

I wish him the best, but can't see him passing Rome, Alberts or Tanev on the depth chart.

I agree with your assessment of Parent but he may still surprise a few a people and become an NHL regular sooner rather then later. Bryan Allen didn't show he was capable of NHL minutes until he was 25-26 years old. They say defensemen take longer to develop and it is difficult for a stay-at-home defensemen to get noticed since they aren't racking up points and the only attention they receive is when they make a mistake.

Quite Honestly I could see the Canucks keeping both Tanev and Parent up at the beginning of the season carrying the extra D man upstairs.

I could see it being:

Hamhuis (when he gets back from injury) Bieksa

Edler Salo

Ballard with either Rome, Tanev or Parent...

This is his year to step up and I think he's ready for it.

Maybe he even helps bring Salo down to play with him and then Ballard moves up to play with Edler...

Parent isn't very impressive at it stands. The fact he went in the first round gives the appeal that he may turn his career around and has potential he hasn't even come close to showing yet. There is a reason why he's on his third NHL club at the age of 24. I haven't given up on him but his numbers even for a shutdown/stay at home defenseman are just awful: 7 points and -18 in 106 NHL games.

It's not looking good.

I truly believe Salo is too old and won't be as effective down the road if he's playing top 4 minutes...

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Tanev

Ballard - Salo

Salo helped Edler in the playoffs while he was struggling, im sure Salo can help Ballard. Salo will also be playing less, therefore he will have more energy down the stretch.

But im not sure if Tanev can handle top 4 minutes...

Best I can figure Tanev has to play 46 more NHL games (or one more year) to have to go through waivers. Parent has to go through waivers and would be subject to recall waivers as well - Tanev doesn't but if he plays 46 games he would would have to go through waivers and I expect someone would grab him so recall is moot.

The way I see it is if Parent out plays Tanev or who ever then he will most likely be a trade bait. It doesn't seem like Parent has a future on the team, so no point going into the season hoping he would perform excatly the way he did in the pre season. It never works look at Fedor Fedorov, Steve Kariya they performed well in the pre season but never pan out when it matter the most.

Archived