The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Parent

nd84

<br /><br /><br />

Parent can be sent down, he just has to clear waivers first. Problem is to do with calling him up, where he has to clear recall waivers. With recall waivers, another team can claim him for 50% of his remaining contract, while the Canucks get stuck with paying the other half (and having it count against their cap).

I'm curious to see what Mike Gillis' plan is with this guy. Obviously, when we had a rash of injuries last year and recalled Tanev, Sweatt, and Sauvé ahead of Parent, it was because we would have lost him. He's an asset, and I think Gillis would like to see him play in the NHL or be dominant on the farm to increase his market value and give him another trade chip. But he hasn't looked all that great since being acquired, even on the farm.

If Parent looks good in camp and NHL ready once again, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tanev temporarily sent down (only because he's the one guy of those four who doesn't have to clear re-entry waivers) until Gillis can swing a deal to get something back for whoever is deemed unnecessary between Parent, Rome, and Alberts.

Then again, maybe Parent is a budding Nolan Baumgartner, and he's destined to remain a career minor leaguer...

• 7 months later...

Season has ended for us. Do you think we let Rome walk and Parent becomes a 7th or 8th defensemen for us next year? I believe he along with Connauton and Sauve will compete unless Gillis adds significant players to our D

He's an RFA this offseason

I don't see why we'd ditch Rome unless he wants a substantial raise. Rome's a really solid 7th Dman who does everything the coaching staff asks him to do and he's well-liked by his teammates. Parent would have to be qualified at $971,250 or more (I'd guess $975,000 to make it a round number), so he's likely going to be pricier than Rome and, on top of that, we have Alberts locked up for another year at $1.225M.

What might happen?:

1.) Gillis will trade his RFA rights, alone or in a package, likely for a pick, but perhaps for a younger prospect.

I think this is the likely outcome.

2.) As an upcoming RFA, Parent will try the waters and see if anyone is interested, and as an astute GM, Gillis would likely let him. If the kid is offered something over $1,020,348, then the Canucks get a pick of some sort (at least a 3rd). If the offer is below that amount then Gillis has the choice of matching the offer or letting Parent walk.

I suspect that Gillis won't take the gamble and just move the kid for a known quantity.

3.) Parent goes to camp and makes the team. This will be the most difficult option. The Canucks have Alberts, Ballard, Bieksa, Edler, Hamhuis and Tanev already under contract, with Gragnani as an RFA, and Salo and Rome as UFA's, plus guys like Sauve and Connauton being real close.

Parent would have to play *very* well to beat out the guys previously mentioned, which I don't see happening.

regards,

G.

I remember Parent being terrible in the few regular season games he played as a Canuck. He's well below Alberts and Rome on the depth chart, even Gragnani.

Edler

Hamhuis

Bieksa

Salo

Ballard

Tanev

Rome

Alberts

Gragnani

Parent

And hopefully MG can land a top-4 defenceman to replace Salo's 20 minutes (which he shouldn't come close to this season) so push Parent even further down. It would take 4 injuries, maybe 5 for him to have to play in the NHL now.

Archived