Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Dead Island

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 That's What She Said

That's What She Said

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:01 PM

Anyone planning on getting this?

Why not Zoidberg? (\/)(°,,,°)(\/)

#2 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:07 PM

the reverse trailer is amazing, but is the game good?

#3 BoKnowsHockey

BoKnowsHockey

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:08 PM

Maybe, I had no dea what it was until this. Seems like Left 4 dead on an island
Posted Image
Credit to the sig goes to Kesler's Happy Dance

Hey all, to keep this thread from getting locked, I will attempt to be discreet with what I am asking so the younger posters who may stumble across this thread back out of it not sure what to think.

So I am going camping with my girlfriend and a couple friends in a few days. Now, I know my girlfriend will want to play on the playground quite a few times each day, and we are going for 3 days. However, we will be drinking liquor during these three days, and it might make it hard for myself to play on the playground. That's not the worry though, the worry is, how do I stay on the playground for a respectable amount of time? I've heard from some male friends that liquor makes it easier to stay on the playground longer, but getting to the playground may come sooner than expected. So what are some things I can do to make sure that be-fore playing and the actual playing on the playground doesn't end too soon?

#4 canucksrock19

canucksrock19

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:19 PM

I AM! I've been excited about this game for months. Pre-ordered mine a couple weeks ago for xbox and gonna pick it up Tuesday before work :D

Posted Image

#5 That's What She Said

That's What She Said

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:20 PM

For what it's worth, IGN gives it 8.0/10...

Dead Island is Fallout 3 with zombies. Plenty of people are going to compare it to Dead Rising (as you can create weapons) and Left 4 Dead (as the action is first-person and good for four players online), but when I finally got past the game's obtuse opening and less than stellar cutscenes, I found a world rife with quests, interesting environments, and a character progression system that had me begging for more hours in the day. In short, Dead Island's a rough around the edges role-playing game, and I dug it.

On a small island off the coast of Papua New Guinea, the dead walk. The story didn't set my hair on fire, but everything else makes up for it. When you sit down to play, you'll choose one of four characters and for the next 20 to 30-some hours roam massive maps, take on interesting side quests, and chop the heads off hundreds of ghouls.

But Dead Island doesn't succeed because of its gore (though I liked the dismemberment). Dead Island's strength is in the world it creates. I crept into and through each environment I came to, from beaches to sewers to jail cells. I listened for the screams of the infected or the roar of a damage sponge known as a "Thug." From that perspective, I was on the island; not my character. In the beginning, I'd slaughter every zombie I saw, but by the time I got to the city and found tight alleyways overrun with monsters, I began to just run from objective to objective. No longer was I playing a game -- I was focusing on survival as if I were the one running from Point A to Point B.

Objectively speaking -- like, right now from my keyboard and not playing the actual game -- that's a stupid thing to say. Dead Island doesn't really punish you for dying. If you croak, you wait five seconds and respawn with less money. Any damage you inflicted before heading to the great beyond remains. But I say that using hindsight. When I sprinted away from a zombie and heard its growls directly behind me, my heart pounded in my chest. I didn't think "Oh, I'll just let him get me and restart back there."

You rarely feel safe in Dead Island, and that's how a zombie game should be. You have a limited stamina bar, so you can't run or swing your weapon forever. Med kits were few and far between in my experience, so scavenging for energy drinks and fruit -- which have to be used at that moment and can't be stored -- became part of the experience. Weapons degrade as you use them, so finding a "legendary" weapon was exciting, but not as exciting as finding a workbench to keep weapons in tip-top shape.

Dead Island made me my character. I chose the weapons, the enemies to attack, and the side quests to take. When I leveled up, I chose in which skill tree to invest my new point in -- so even if you joined my game as the same knives expert I play as, we wouldn't necessarily have the same abilities.

Thankfully, joining games is easy. When you're playing, a pop-up message will notify you if a player is close to you and joinable. If I see you sign on, I can invite you in. Of course, experience levels play into this. Players can only join the games of people who are equal or lesser levels. I can't be level 31 and about to win the game and have a level 1 player join me. It might sound depressing, but there are tons of character slots, so having a character for different sessions shouldn't be too tough. Plus, you can always switch your game to single-player if you just want to be left alone. Sadly, there is no local co-op.

Is Dead Island perfect? No. Far from it. As much as I lauded it, Dead Island is rough around the edges and that's sure to turn a lot of people off. First-person melee combat doesn't feel natural right away. Sometimes textures take their time loading in, I'd describe every cutscene as "stiff," and the visual flaws like hands going through doors and weird mini-game meters made me laugh. Still, presentation doesn't make a game, experiences do. And they are packed into Dead Island.

Dead Island probably won't win any game of the year awards. It's got visual bugs, the controls take a bit to feel normal, and the presentation in general isn't up to snuff. But the game gets a lot right. There is a huge world to explore, thousands of zombies to kill, and tons of side quests to take. Here on the other side of a 25-hour playthrough -- where I skipped a lot of side quests after Act 1 -- I'm anxious to get back into Dead Island, and despite the game's flaws, that's not something I say often.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1192320p1.html

#6 BoKnowsHockey

BoKnowsHockey

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:23 PM

Is it open world? Like GTA4 and Red Dead Redemption? If it is, I'll seriously consider buying it. If not I'll stick with the NHL series.

The only games I buy are open world (GTA4 and Red Dead Redemption), sports (NHL11, NHL 12) or first person shooting (Call of Duty)
Posted Image
Credit to the sig goes to Kesler's Happy Dance

Hey all, to keep this thread from getting locked, I will attempt to be discreet with what I am asking so the younger posters who may stumble across this thread back out of it not sure what to think.

So I am going camping with my girlfriend and a couple friends in a few days. Now, I know my girlfriend will want to play on the playground quite a few times each day, and we are going for 3 days. However, we will be drinking liquor during these three days, and it might make it hard for myself to play on the playground. That's not the worry though, the worry is, how do I stay on the playground for a respectable amount of time? I've heard from some male friends that liquor makes it easier to stay on the playground longer, but getting to the playground may come sooner than expected. So what are some things I can do to make sure that be-fore playing and the actual playing on the playground doesn't end too soon?

#7 canucksrock19

canucksrock19

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:26 PM

Is it open world? Like GTA4 and Red Dead Redemption? If it is, I'll seriously consider buying it. If not I'll stick with the NHL series.

The only games I buy are open world (GTA4 and Red Dead Redemption), sports (NHL11, NHL 12) or first person shooting (Call of Duty)

Yes, its pretty similar to Borderlands/Fallout

Posted Image

#8 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,630 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:26 PM

Yes it is open world.

Dead Island will be very similar to Fallout.

I pre-ordered mine weeks ago, picking it up on Tuesday.

Edited by Squeak, 04 September 2011 - 10:27 PM.

Posted Image

#9 23•Qwerty

23•Qwerty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,371 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:28 PM

That... is really sad. :(
Posted Image

#10 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:30 PM

I'm sick and tired of Zombies.

But I'm checking this out for sure.

Posted Image

#11 Mufasa

Mufasa

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:48 AM

Can't wait to get this game. Been waiting for a while noe for it. It has been getting mediocre reviews but The gameplay looks solid and really fun. First day purchase for mee :)
RIP - Rick Rypien
PSN - BthaKing

#12 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:18 AM

I was pretty much sold when I saw its first trailer, but after watching a bunch of gameplay video's; it seems like it'll be game that I'm going to wait till it's a little cheaper on Steam...

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#13 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,908 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:58 AM

I'm going to pick this one up, looks almost as fun as Dead Rising 2!

kb71ZMt.jpg

#14 CARTER

CARTER

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:05 AM

I would get this if it came out early to mid August, but NHL and Gears 3 come out the following two weeks.

#15 Callahandy

Callahandy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:00 PM

Reviews are averaging at 75 right now. Not as high as I expected.
www.myspace.com/callahanband

#16 Moonwalker

Moonwalker

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:31 PM

That... is really sad. :(

Yes it is :(
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#17 That's What She Said

That's What She Said

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:08 PM

Soooooo people who have this, how is it?

#18 xWCMx

xWCMx

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,121 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:42 PM

I love it. It started slow and definitely has it's glitches/awkward moments, but that doesn't change the fact that the game is ridiculously fun to play. It definitely has a Fallout feel to it with freeworld quests. I got it today telling myself I'd play it for half an hour or so. I'm 6 hours in already haha
Posted Image

Sig removed - inappropriate ^ how was this inappropriate?

#19 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,630 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:51 PM

Yeah - I picked it up this morning and it's pretty freakin' good

As suggested above - it feels like it starts slow.

But once I stopped playing it for work, I have been anxious to start playing it again.

It's gonna be a late night tonight.

Edited by Squeak, 06 September 2011 - 08:52 PM.

Posted Image

#20 Mufasa

Mufasa

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:50 PM

Yea I've been plying for some time now and ive been enjoying it. It's pretty fun hacking and slashing at the zombies. I'm really hating the thug zombies tho. So far I'm level 11.
RIP - Rick Rypien
PSN - BthaKing

#21 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,630 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:03 PM

Yea I've been plying for some time now and ive been enjoying it. It's pretty fun hacking and slashing at the zombies. I'm really hating the thug zombies tho. So far I'm level 11.

Gotta 'Fury' those guys.
Posted Image

#22 Mufasa

Mufasa

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:41 PM

Gotta 'Fury' those guys.

haha i honestly forgot about the "fury" attack, think ive used it once, may have to start using it more often
RIP - Rick Rypien
PSN - BthaKing

#23 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,024 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:43 PM

haha i honestly forgot about the "fury" attack, think ive used it once, may have to start using it more often

a furry attack?
Posted Image

Edited by avelanch, 07 September 2011 - 01:44 PM.

#24 xWCMx

xWCMx

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,121 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:07 PM

The thugs are quite easy once you've figured them out. I usually use an advanced baseball bat, but the thugs are so slow in their wind up to punch you, that you can usually run in, take a swing, and jump out of the way. Repeat that 6 or 7 times and they're dead without touching you once.

On another note, I just got in to the city and woah.... Lets just say I need to find somebody to play with. So much fun though! It really seems every new "world" or act brings a different dimension to the game. Playing in the city is way different than playing in the resorts. And the zombie in the straight jacket? You'll never think a thug is hard again haha

Edited by xWCMx, 07 September 2011 - 03:08 PM.

Posted Image

Sig removed - inappropriate ^ how was this inappropriate?

#25 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,630 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:16 PM

If anyone is on XBOX and needs a player for Co-op.

Gamertag: rb squeak
Posted Image

#26 Blömqvist

Blömqvist

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:39 PM

Crap, sold out everywhere. Maybe I should've pre-ordered it.

Every pizza is a personal pizza if you try hard enough and believe in yourself.

#27 canucksrock19

canucksrock19

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:39 AM

I love this game!
It is so addicting when you play with friends. The only problem I have with it is the fact that it took us over 45minutes in order for all 4 of us to connect to a game. Love the Ripper Mod that my buddy got for preordering. Cuts off limbs 90% of the time :D

Posted Image

#28 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,024 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:15 AM

Crap, sold out everywhere. Maybe I should've pre-ordered it.

buy it on their website and DL it? digital copies are never sold out...

Edited by avelanch, 08 September 2011 - 06:15 AM.

#29 Blömqvist

Blömqvist

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:22 PM

buy it on their website and DL it? digital copies are never sold out...

I FOUND 'EM! I bought it today at Gamesdeals Gastown. Very awesome game so far, although the controls take a little bit to get used to (if left bumper is attack, why isn't the right bumper an attack button too?)

I could use a wingman to hack'n'slash with.

My gamertag is Michaeltr0n, I'm currently level 2.

Every pizza is a personal pizza if you try hard enough and believe in yourself.

#30 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,090 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:14 PM

The gameplay demo looked so bad. mainly one big cutscene with some very weak looking combat thrown in. I have liked the fallout series a lot but zombies, I dunno, theyre gettin old. L4D was so damn repetative.

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.