The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nail Yakupov -- The Next Elite NHL Superstar.

Guest Voucer

The best thing for Nail would be to go to the worst possible team which has a good young core of players they try and build around. He needs a franchise center to play with because successful teams build strong down the middle.

The way the jackets are playing, I think they have to be the favorites in the Yakupov lottery...them or the canes.

Skinner/Staal/Yakupov would be cool, but I'm sure Ryan Johansen would love a chance to play with a guy like this.

• 2 weeks later...

10 YAKUPOV Nail F 5GP 0G 5A 5PTS 6PIM +1

4th in team scoring.

I'm surprised he's been so ho-hum for such a highly touted player.

Jensen is outplaying him, and he's the only option for a skilled forward on his team.

Jensen has 6 points in 5 games, nail has 5 assists in 5 games, and with much better linemates. 1st vs 2nd line REALLY makes no difference in this tourney, if anything it should make it easier for him to score. Espescially since he was so highly touted coming in.

Stats don't tell everything....

You probably didn't watch the game yesterday. When he got promoted to the 1st line with someone injured(can't remember who), you can see him using his explosive speed and top-flight stickhandling.

Kutznetsov also has no points in 4 games other than that blowout against Latvia. Is Jensen better too?

Jensen has 6 points in 5 games, nail has 5 assists in 5 games, and with much better linemates. 1st vs 2nd line REALLY makes no difference in this tourney, if anything it should make it easier for him to score. Espescially since he was so highly touted coming in.

The guy is slick. He has the puck control of Kane and Datsyuk.. just so quick, and effortless. His passing is very crisp and clean. Shifty guy. Didn't really get a chance to see his skating or his shot, but I hear those are good too. Guy is definitely on another level with his puck control though, you can just see the way he handles the puck. Not many guys can do that, even at the NHL level.

Kinda turned me off when I saw the post-game interview.. Basically blurted out that Russia is better than Canada and he dismissed many of the questions and was like, "it doesn't matter, Russia won" Maybe it was a spur of the moment kind of thing where he was all riled up, but don't know if he'd be good in the locker room..

He had something like 4 assists today. He has tremendous passing and skating abilities from what I saw today. I also noticed he likes to hit frequently. But definitely seems like he's going to be a star some day

I won't blame Nail for that kind of attitude, especially seeing as Canada was Russia's main rival in this tourney and they beat them. He is still young and, while he could use some humility, having lots of self confidence is good when he is so skilled. Whatever team he goes to is going to be ridiculously lucky, and I can only hope that Gillis makes some Burke like move (Yakupov is the only person I would give up Schneider for at this point) to get us that pick. Look at it this way, a couple years playing next to some humble, all-star level players *ahem*Sedins*ahem* and he would be much more sensible in those situations. He is my favourite player under 20 in the world along with Jensen and it's going to be tough for me, personally, when he gets drafted to some bottom feeder team that might ruin his development..

*Totally don't have a man crush on Nail*

Archived