The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nail Yakupov -- The Next Elite NHL Superstar.

Guest Voucer

True. Hall and Tavares aren't quite the same as RNH and Yakupov though.

Tavares- September, 1990

Hall- November 1991

RNH- April 1993

Yakupov- October 1993

There was a pretty big gap between Hall and Tavares so they wouldn't have been quite as easy to compare head to head as RNH and Yakupov. Tavares and Stamkos are a little easier to compare. He missed the cut off for the 2008 draft by just 5 days.

I realize now that my first post was a little off. I thought RNH had an August birthday.

what does Yakupov getting cut-off from the 2012 entry draft have to do with his skill set?

age matters only because of physical maturity which RNH doesn't really have yet, but he's still doing well in the NHL

nhl scouts have said that if Yakupov went this year he would have gone in the top 5

I didn't say anything about his skill set. I'm talking about his stats. All I'm saying is that at the end of the year people shouldn't be saying "Look how much better Yakupov is compared to Stamkos and RNH. They had 105-106 points in their draft years while Yakupov had 130 points". He's actually a year older than they were in their draft years. He should be putting up some crazy numbers. He's 18 years old. Just look at Huberdeau. He's averaging 2 points per game as well. The only difference is that he's already been drafted because he's a few months older.

...and Yakupov probably would have went 1st or 2nd in 2011.

My point is still valid. Huberdeau was just an example of another high profile 18 year old in the CHL. I fully expect Yakupov to be a better prospect than Huberdeau. He may even be better than RNH. I'm just saying don't assume he's significantly better than RNH just because he's going to finish with 30-40 more points in his draft year. He SHOULD be putting up these types of numbers at his age.

I didn't say anything about his skill set. I'm talking about his stats. All I'm saying is that at the end of the year people shouldn't be saying "Look how much better Yakupov is compared to Stamkos and RNH. They had 105-106 points in their draft years while Yakupov had 130 points". He's actually a year older than they were in their draft years. He should be putting up some crazy numbers. He's 18 years old. Just look at Huberdeau. He's averaging 2 points per game as well. The only difference is that he's already been drafted because he's a few months older.

...and Yakupov probably would have went 1st or 2nd in 2011.

It would be pretty amazing to watch but I'm fine with drafting 6-12th. Drafting 1st overall is fun and all but it's time to start seeing some wins. Eberle and Hemsky are more than capable RWers. Someone else can take a turn at having the 1st pick ;)

Hall - RNH - Eberle

Paajarvi - Gagner - Hemsky

That's pretty well rounded. Ideally Tambellini would find a way to replace Gagner with someone who has more size, can win a faceoff and match his 15ish goals and 45ish points a season. In a perfect world Gagner would just take his game to the next level and become that 20 goal/60 point center. It makes it easier to give him a break on the weak defensive play and faceoff% if he's putting up those types of numbers. A lot of Oilers fans have written him off but I still think he has it in him. This may be his 5th season but he's still just 22 years old. Eberle had 43 points in 69 games last season. Gagner is 8 months older and had 42 points in 68 games. If he wouldn't have been rushed into the league and been a 20 year old rookie like Eberle was, people would be much higher on him.

Archived