Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

* * * * * 1 votes

Nail Yakupov -- The Next Elite NHL Superstar.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
218 replies to this topic

#91 Jumpin Jack Flash

Jumpin Jack Flash

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:43 PM

I don't want to take too much away from him but he missed the cut off for the 2011 draft by about 3 weeks. RNH is in his 18 year old season and is an NHL rookie. Yakupov is in his 18 year old season and is in his draft year. He's pretty much the same age as RNH. I'm pretty sure there is about 3 1/2 months difference between them. What kind of numbers would Nugent-Hopkins be putting up in the CHL right now?

I'm not saying he doesn't have star potential. I just think the stats may be a little misleading. This isn't the typical draft year we're seeing. If he was 3 weeks younger he would have went head to head with RNH last season and would likely be in the NHL right now.

Just so you know... Yakupov only put up 5 less points than RNH in 4 less games last year. So in reality Yakupov actually did have a better season than RNH on a worse team.

#92 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:27 PM

With Galchenyuk dropping after the injury (hopefully) we should trade up and draft him. Yakupov already loves the Canucks and this is just the extra incentive to come here to Van with his juniors scoring duo partner being drafted by us :D. If the Canucks could get Yakupov we would be almost unstoppable. As a bonus Galchenyuk is already a beast.
Posted Image *I highly doubt any of this happens but us fans can dream right?*

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#93 Try Again

Try Again

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:43 PM

It's called a prediction.

Blue Jackets will get him.

some prediction that is Posted Image

thats a statement more like
Posted Image

#94 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79,283 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:45 PM

some prediction that is Posted Image

thats a statement more like

Oh well.... :mrgreen:

307mg00.jpg

#95 The Back Up

The Back Up

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:33 AM

Prediction: Ottawa will get 1st overall pick. However, I'm not going to predict they'll take Nail, I like to be surprised and not see if I was right or wrong on draft day. Unless I do a mock draft...
I like to think I'm not being silly. Tell me if I'm wrong.

"So, all I need is a lot of water and tartar sauce." Alex Moran, Blue Mountain State, greatest back up ever

#96 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:33 AM

With Galchenyuk dropping after the injury (hopefully) we should trade up and draft him. Yakupov already loves the Canucks and this is just the extra incentive to come here to Van with his juniors scoring duo partner being drafted by us :D. If the Canucks could get Yakupov we would be almost unstoppable. As a bonus Galchenyuk is already a beast.
Posted Image *I highly doubt any of this happens but us fans can dream right?*

Larionov and Krutov.

Bure and Mogilny.

Galchenyuk and Yakupov.

I like how you think! The International Scouting Services has him ranked at #17 right now.

In all likelihood, the top three prospects on the list are guaranteed to be picked in the top three. If so, it will be:

1. Only the third time that two Russian players have been picked in the top three (2001 [#1. Kovalchuk, #3. Svitov], 2004 [#1. Ovechkin, #2. Malkin]).
2. Only the third time that a Russian player has been chosen first overall (2001 [Kovalchuk], 2004 [Ovechkin]).
3. Only the second time that two Russian players have been picked first and second overall in the draft (2004 [Ovechkin, Malkin]).

And it's the first time ever that a Russian player picked first or second overall has spent time in North America prior to being drafted. This is going to be a special draft.

https://www.isshocke...m/scouting/home

2012 Top NHL Draft Prospects

1. Nail Yakupov - Sarnia

2. Mikhail Grigorenko - Quebec
3. Ryan Murray - Everett
4. Filip Forsberg - Leksand
5. Morgan Rielly - Moose Jaw
6. Matt Dumba - Red Deer
7. Jacob Trouba - US U-18
8. Brendan Gaunce - Belleville
9. Nick Ebert - Windsor
10. Slater Koekkoek - Peterborough
11. Griffin Reinhart - Edmonton
12. Matia Marcantuoni - Kitchener
13. Jarrod Maidens - Owen Sound
14. Martin Frk - Halifax
15. Sebastian Collberg - Vastras Frolunda
16. Olli Maatta - London
17. Alexander Galchenyuk - Sarnia

18. Athanasiou, Andreas - London
19. Aberg, Pontus - Djurgarden
20. Cody Ceci - Ottawa
21. Jordan Schmaltz - Sioux City
22. Pouliot, Derrick - Portland
23. Zemgus Girgensons - Dubuque
24. Mike Matheson - Dubuque
25. Scott Laughton - Oshawa
26. Nicholas Kerdiles - US U-18
27. Slepyshev, Anton - Novokuznetsk
28. Gianluca Curcuruto - SS Marie
29. Skjei, Brady - US U-18
30. Henrik Samuelsson - Modo

Edited by WeatherWise, 01 November 2011 - 04:53 AM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#97 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:35 AM

Larionov and Krutov.

Bure and Mogilny.

Galchenyuk and Yakupov.

I like how you think! The International Scouting Services has him ranked at #17 right now.

In all likelihood, the top three prospects on the list are guaranteed to be picked in the top three. If so, it will be:

1. Only the third time that two Russian players have been picked in the top three (2001 [#1. Kovalchuk, #3. Svitov], 2004 [#1. Ovechkin, #2. Malkin]).
2. Only the third time that a Russian player has been chosen first overall (2001 [Kovalchuk], 2004 [Ovechkin]).
3. Only the second time that two Russian players have been picked first and second overall in the draft (2004 [Ovechkin, Malkin]).

And it's the first time ever that a Russian player picked first or second overall has spent time in North America prior to being drafted. This is going to be a special draft.

https://www.isshocke...m/scouting/home

What? ISS has him ranked 17th already? Is that list old??

There's a lot of players there I would rank him above... Weird.

#98 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,804 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:48 AM

Edmonton will get yet another first round pick this upcoming draft :rolleyes:

Unless they trade(d) it away, every team has a first round pick :P

zuhwS.gif

#99 Slick McGiggits

Slick McGiggits

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:19 PM

Maybe he's a total headcase and will request a trade to his favourite team!

Kesler - Yakupov is just too deadly to even imagine.

Then what would Sedin - Sedin - Yakupov be considered? :mellow:

#100 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:21 PM

Then what would Sedin - Sedin - Yakupov be considered? :mellow:

Don't think it can even be talked about.

#101 Slick McGiggits

Slick McGiggits

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:23 PM

I say we trade up to get the 1st and 2nd overall pick and draft Yakupov and Galchenyuk to have one of, if not, the best team in the league:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Yakupov - Kesler - Galchenyuk
Booth - Malhotra - Hansen
Weise - Lapierre - Higgins

:bigblush:

#102 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:38 PM

I say we trade up to get the 1st and 2nd overall pick and draft Yakupov and Galchenyuk to have one of, if not, the best team in the league:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Dare to dream.. dare to dream.

#103 Try Again

Try Again

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:18 PM

Prediction: Ottawa will get 1st overall pick. However, I'm not going to predict they'll take Nail, I like to be surprised and not see if I was right or wrong on draft day. Unless I do a mock draft...

well they're d-prospects are rather strong

cowen, runblad, karlsson

they have a thin top 6 and alfredsson needs to be replaced eventually

yakupov>murray in OTT"s case

______- Zibaneajad - Yakupov?
Posted Image

#104 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:34 PM

What? ISS has him ranked 17th already? Is that list old??

There's a lot of players there I would rank him above... Weird.

I would say it's pretty new. They had Grigorenko ranked #1 before the start of the season. And Galchenyuk has been injured this entire season so far.

Edited by WeatherWise, 01 November 2011 - 02:35 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#105 Gunner Garrison

Gunner Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:53 PM

Henrik Samuelsson on Modo?!

A player with passing abilities like Henrik but sniping abilities like Sammy? DRAFT HIM!

#106 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:06 PM

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Galchenyuk isn't going second, if we're going that route take Grigorenko. He's a big centreman who plays the point on the PP. He'd be a beast for us. Galchenyuk is injured for a while and unless he has an insane season, he's going 15th+ Overall, not counting a team taking a chance on him. If we trade up for 1st Overall, Yakupov is a definite, but alternatively, we could just trade up 10 or 12 places, and snag Galchenyuk. Seeing as him and Yakupov are obviously friends with chemistry, this will make Yakupov want to sign here as an FA in the future or request a trade even more to his favourite team where he could wear his childhood star's jersey (sort of) and number.

Posted Image

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#107 Greene02

Greene02

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:44 PM

Just so you know... Yakupov only put up 5 less points than RNH in 4 less games last year. So in reality Yakupov actually did have a better season than RNH on a worse team.

Obviously I know what his stats looked like. I've been saying all along that he would have went 1st or 2nd overall in the 2011 draft. However, that has little to do with my original point.

...and are we really going to say he had a better season?

PPG Average
Yakupov: 101 points in 65 games- 1.55
RNH: 106 points in 69 games- 1.54

A difference of about a point over the 69 games that RNH played. It should also be noted that RNH played in the WHL which is usually tougher to put up big numbers in compared to the OHL, he played for a coach that rolled all four lines so he saw less ice time than most junior stars and he also played for a very defensive team. I couldn't tell you the specifics of Yakupov's situation but I'd imagine it was similar to most junior stars. Considering he played for a worse team, I bet his situation was similar to Tyler Seguin's was in Plymouth. He was likely the only real consistent offensive threat so his ice time was through the roof.

Edited by Greene02, 01 November 2011 - 09:46 PM.

#108 NAILED-BY-THE-HAMMER

NAILED-BY-THE-HAMMER

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:58 PM

murray seems to be the better choice.russian forwards are selfish.
Posted Image

#109 Jumpin Jack Flash

Jumpin Jack Flash

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:24 AM

Obviously I know what his stats looked like. I've been saying all along that he would have went 1st or 2nd overall in the 2011 draft. However, that has little to do with my original point.

PPG Average

A difference of about a point over the 69 games that RNH played. It should also be noted that RNH played in the WHL which is usually tougher to put up big numbers in compared to the OHL, he played for a coach that rolled all four lines so he saw less ice time than most junior stars and he also played for a very defensive team. I couldn't tell you the specifics of Yakupov's situation but I'd imagine it was similar to most junior stars. Considering he played for a worse team, I bet his situation was similar to Tyler Seguin's was in Plymouth. He was likely the only real consistent offensive threat so his ice time was through the roof.

Good points.
Yakupov is also a little bit more physically mature than RNH so that probably helped him pick up more points, but it also allowed him to be a very solid hitter and forechecker, some things RNH doesn't really bring to the table.
Even though they are very different players, they're are both going to be huge stars in the NHL.

#110 Greene02

Greene02

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:52 AM

Good points.
Yakupov is also a little bit more physically mature than RNH so that probably helped him pick up more points, but it also allowed him to be a very solid hitter and forechecker, some things RNH doesn't really bring to the table.
Even though they are very different players, they're are both going to be huge stars in the NHL.

I don't want to sound like I'm picking on you but I don't agree with that either :lol:

RNH: 6'1 and 175lbs
Yakupov: 5'10 and 170lbs

Yakupov is a little thicker than RNH but that doesn't mean he's stronger. I think one thing that gets underrated about RNH is his physical play. Obviously he isn't out there destroying people but he does finish his checks and there have been a couple times this season where he had a guy lined up for an open ice hit and didn't pass on the opportunity. Both players managed to dodge the hit but it's was kind of cool to see him at least try. Also, one of his "moves" is using his body to bump players off the puck. He's very good at this. It's probably just one of the little tricks he's learned over the years to compete with the bigger players. The 6 takeaways the NHL has given him credit for really doesn't do him justice.

...and before I say this, I just want to be clear that in no way am I saying their careers are going to play out the same way. It is just a bit of a concern. One that I even had with Taylor Hall. When I see an undersized junior star that plays a style where he relies on his physicality to put up points, I think of Gilbert Brule. Sometimes the NHL can be a shock to their system. The very good players find a way to adjust their game but some don't. This is why I think Hall had a bit of a slow start to his rookie season. I said all along that while I wasn't 100% sure of RNH would play in the NHL this season, I thought his transition from junior to the pros once he was ready to make that jump would be smoother than Hall's. My reasoning was that RNH has always been a small player. He's undersized in the NHL but he was also undersized in the WHL. He's never played a big man's game. He's still plays the exact same game he did in junior. He just has to make his decisions a lot faster. Luckily for him his hockeyIQ is through the roof so there hasn't really been much of an adjustment period for him and why he had 6 goals and 12 points in his first 13 games. Will Yakupov be the next Gilbert Brule? I highly doubt it. I just don't think that because he plays a more physical game than RNH he will be able to put up more points. It might actually work against him off the start.

Edited by Greene02, 06 November 2011 - 09:54 AM.

#111 Luongo

Luongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:43 PM

PPG Average

Yakupov put up 101 points in his rookie season and his first season in North America. It's not really a proper comparable. Stamkos only put up 92 pts in his rookie season, RNH 65. Yakupov has all-world speed, east-west shiftiness, and unbelievable puck skills. Yakupov has outstanding hockey sense, and it is the reason why he is able to be such a dynamic player; in identifying shooting and passing lanes, in timing his moves and dangles. I can't believe Yakupov's release on his wrist shot. Yakupov's shot is very tough to read because he has no release point, like a backhand. Very few hockey players have this kind of shot, and none of the notable goal scorers like Ovechkin, Stamkos, or Crosby do. Oddly enough, Turris does.

Brule is not a comparable at all. While Brule's injuries had a hand in his bust status, the reason why he busted was his poor hockey sense. He still was/is capable of being a depth player despite it all.

The fact that you speak in such generalities makes me think you don't know much about Yakupov at all. There's a reason why scouts are so high on him, and they know a lot more about hockey than you and I. Losing Galchenyuk will hurt his stats considerably, but he's still on pace to have an outstanding draft year. There's a reason why he's being touted as a can't miss prospect by scouts that see the little traits that will translate.

#112 Try Again

Try Again

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:53 PM

http://sports.yahoo....urn=nhl-wp15952

Who could he be compared to?

"That's a good question," TSN's Bob McKenzie told me last week. "You can't say Ovechkin because he is not as physical or as powerful. He will get his nose dirty to score a goal. But he won't necessarily overpower you the way Ovechkin did. The very first time you see Ovechkin, we saw him as a 17 year old, the thing that impressed you was not just that he was fast, he could score goals and had a great shot, but that he ran people over. There's a difference in that. But I am not sure there is a Russian winger that he could be compared to. I don't want to say Semin either. I don't have a good answer for you on that."

"He reminds me of Bure," Russian National Junior Team head coach Valeri Bragin told Sovetsky Sport's Pavel Lysenkov on Monday. "He is just as quick, a good goal-scoring winger. He is not as big as Ovechkin or Kovalchuk were when they were drafted, but he is very quick. I am really looking forward to playing him for the National Team after not having seen him play a year."

Edited by Bangs Chol, 07 November 2011 - 09:57 PM.

Posted Image

#113 Kanye West

Kanye West

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,413 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:20 PM

http://sports.yahoo....urn=nhl-wp15952

[/size][/font][/color]

Bob should have just said Bure.

Posted Image

Sig: Intoewsables

#114 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:15 PM

Why is it that Russian prospects always have to be compared to Russian players.... Yakupov is NOTHING like Bure... he's closer to Ovechkin because he's got some grit.

The best comparison would actually be a player like Rick Nash.

I dont think it matter where a player is born.

Yes, but the style of hockey in European leagues is different from that in North America. Larger rinks and more focused on individual play, less contact and more encouragement of, for example: going on an end to end rush as opposed to a team breakout. Those are just a few of the differences. Not that that's necessarily worse, it's just different from the hockey we're used to.

BO KNOWS

#115 alternatefever

alternatefever

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:25 AM

i hope this kid nails it..

#116 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:48 PM

I would take Mikhail Grigorenko with the 1st overall pick.

#117 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,225 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:54 PM

The bluejackets will most likely get the 1st overall. they only have 2 wins.

Ottawa, on the other hand, is playing .500 hockey and tied with us for wins and points.

Edited by avelanch, 09 November 2011 - 12:56 PM.

#118 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

The bluejackets will most likely get the 1st overall. they only have 2 wins.

Ottawa, on the other hand, is playing .500 hockey and tied with us for wins and points.

Quick...make a trade with Columbus. They need a whole lot of things...goaltending, defense, forwards, etc.

#119 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

Quick...make a trade with Columbus. They need a whole lot of things...goaltending, defense, forwards, etc.

CDC, would you send Schneider to Columbus for their first rounder?

I'd hate to see Schneids go, but...Yakupov...

Edited by Witchcraft and Sedinery, 09 November 2011 - 03:53 PM.

dontforgettolentil.png

#120 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:13 PM

CDC, would you send Schneider to Columbus for their first rounder?

I'd hate to see Schneids go, but...Yakupov...

In a millisecond.

Nail, Mikhail, Murray, Forsberg or Frk?

Plus Vancouver still having their own 1st rounder?

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.