96 replies to this topic

#1 -Goose-

-Goose-

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:56 PM

Anyone using XP, Vista, or 7 can upgrade their computer to Windows 8 for $40 - http://windows.micro...o_Home_FPP_Null

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

OLD
Spoiler

Edited by -Goose-, 25 October 2012 - 05:34 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,996 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:57 PM

IMO Tablets are quite useless, they accomplish nothing that my iPhone can't.

Posted Image

Vintage Canuck's #1 Supporter

#3 Conservative

Conservative

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:00 PM

OK i'm a computer illiterate here, do I have to create a separate partition if I want to run Windows 8 or can I just install it and revert back to Windows 7 when I'm done?

#4 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:00 PM

I still laughed when I saw the Internet Explorer icon. Seriously, what a joke of a web browser. :P

#5 Conservative

Conservative

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:01 PM

Who gives a fak about the tablet arent you guys excited for windows 8?

#6 Canuck_4_Life

Canuck_4_Life

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:17 PM

spoken by a true iCloner.................
QUOTE(Canucks.com Admin)
If your signature has more lines than the majority of your posts, it's too big.

#7 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:19 PM

This video came out a few months ago. Kinda interesting.

#8 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:44 PM

Which is why Windows 8 could set itself apart from the other operating systems. Windows 8 is both compatible with tablets and PCs.

The Start screen makes it perfect for tablets, but also includes a fully functioning operating system like PCs.

Watch the video posted The Brahama Bull.

Posted Image

#9 bjh

bjh

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:53 PM

What the hell can an iPhone do anyway?

One of the most limiting smartphones out there these days.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#10 Schneider's Teeth

Schneider's Teeth

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:04 AM

Have fun typing out an essay on your iPhone.
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
OVERSIZED SIGNATURE OVERSIZED SIGNATURE

#11 OgS.MVP

OgS.MVP

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:18 AM

After trying iOs from Apple, anything Windows will work.

#12 Duodenum

Duodenum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:53 AM

Have fun typing out an essay on your iPhone.

Don't think many people would have fun typing an essay on a tablet either.

The interface looks nice. Apple's layout may look nice on the iPhone but it's butt ugly on a tablet.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 Violator

Violator

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,057 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:53 AM

I don't want to pay 15 bucks to watch a movie on a 3.5 inch screen

#14 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:58 AM

I don't want to pay 15 bucks to watch a movie on a 3.5 inch screen

Don't. Pirate the movie you want, get a video converter to change the file to mp4, then put it on the iPhone. Really easy to do and completely free. To do with the Windows 8 tablet, if I had the money I'd get it. ONLY if I could get Google Chrome on it somehow. Posted Image

#15 Violator

Violator

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,057 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:55 AM

Don't. Pirate the movie you want, get a video converter to change the file to mp4, then put it on the iPhone. Really easy to do and completely free. To do with the Windows 8 tablet, if I had the money I'd get it. ONLY if I could get Google Chrome on it somehow. Posted Image

but pirating movies is illegal you would steal a car would you.

#16 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:12 AM

but pirating movies is illegal you would steal a car would you.

No I wouldn't steal a car . Posted Image. Stealing a car and pirating a movie is different. Same ideal but different categories in terms of how serious it is. Posted Image

Edited by Seal Clobber, 14 September 2011 - 03:13 AM.

#17 Weber's Playoff Beard

Weber's Playoff Beard

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:28 AM

I like Windows over Apple OS.. but I hate IE....

#18 -Goose-

-Goose-

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:45 AM

OK i'm a computer illiterate here, do I have to create a separate partition if I want to run Windows 8 or can I just install it and revert back to Windows 7 when I'm done?

Yeap.

Install Windows 8 onto a partition and boot into that partition. I have it on my archaic laptop but it runs great, very optimized for a pre-beta OS.

Posted Image

#19 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,222 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:52 AM

Don't any of you have TVs? Don't you get movies on that? Even legal beagel you can get net flicks for eight bucks a month. Why on hell would I want to watch a movie on my phone or carry around some screen all over the place?

#20 Bigturk8

Bigturk8

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:12 AM

I totally agree. Tablets are large smartphones that lack the ability to make calls. I find them terribly inconvenient. The only thing I would truly use them for is electronic books, but then I could just get a kobo for a fraction of the price.
TL.jpg

#21 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,222 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:08 AM

I totally agree. Tablets are large smartphones that lack the ability to make calls. I find them terribly inconvenient. The only thing I would truly use them for is electronic books, but then I could just get a kobo for a fraction of the price.

Do they not offer real books at the library anymore? The resolution is fantastic!

#22 Bigturk8

Bigturk8

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:19 AM

Do they not offer real books at the library anymore? The resolution is fantastic!

Haha very true. I'm speaking from a convenience point of view though. If you go on vacation you don't have to pack several books, you no longer have to worry about storing massive amounts of books in your house. That kind of stuff.

There is however something to be said for a good old paperback novel.
TL.jpg

#23 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,222 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:24 AM

Haha very true. I'm speaking from a convenience point of view though. If you go on vacation you don't have to pack several books, you no longer have to worry about storing massive amounts of books in your house. That kind of stuff.

There is however something to be said for a good old paperback novel.

If I am on vacation odds are I will be drunk fairly frequently and wouldn't do any reading to start with and would certainly loose/destroy/get sick of carrying around that screen.

My whole dislike of the portable screens is that they would be extremely inconvienient.

As for storing them at home well bookshelves go just about anwhere and are more a fill in the gaps type thing than actual furntiture you need to find a place for. Walls of books are quite inviting and conforting IMO. (Much like pantries full of preserved food do the same.)

#24 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:29 AM

This is what Microsoft is trying to change with Windows 8. They're trying to make tablets that are small computers.

I'm curious what the Apple fangirls and fanboys think of Windows 8.

Posted Image

#25 Bigturk8

Bigturk8

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:33 AM

If I am on vacation odds are I will be drunk fairly frequently and wouldn't do any reading to start with and would certainly loose/destroy/get sick of carrying around that screen.

My whole dislike of the portable screens is that they would be extremely inconvienient.

As for storing them at home well bookshelves go just about anwhere and are more a fill in the gaps type thing than actual furntiture you need to find a place for. Walls of books are quite inviting and conforting IMO. (Much like pantries full of preserved food do the same.)

Here, I think it just comes down to opinion. While I do enjoy drinking on vacation, I also like relaxing, and there is something about a good book that does that to me. Throw in a frosty beer in a hot climate and i'm in heaven. I find it more convienient because it takes up less space than several books and I tend to read alot. But I can see where you are comming from.

As far as the house goes, I really like a sense of organization, but I tend to be lazy. To very conflicting personality traits. The e-readers create a perfect solution to my problem. It may not be for everyone but it works nicely for myself. I do agree that a full bookshelf or two adds a nice touch to a house though.

Edited by Bigturk8, 14 September 2011 - 11:46 AM.

TL.jpg

#26 Bigturk8

Bigturk8

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:39 AM

This is what Microsoft is trying to change with Windows 8. They're trying to make tablets that are small computers.

I'm curious what the Apple fangirls and fanboys think of Windows 8.

Granted I havn't looked much into Windows 8, so you could very well be correct. From what I've seen in screenshots, it looks similar to a Windows phone, but I am interested to see what they have added to bridge the gap between current tablets and computers.
TL.jpg

#27 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:45 AM

I really don't like their Tiles idea. Small icons are more to my liking. It just seems that they're trying to squeeze too much info on to a tile. When I look at it, I don't really see what program I'm looking at. It's just writing I have to read. Does that make any sense?

#28 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,664 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:55 AM

What exactly is the difference a number of you are referrencing in terms of tablets vs. Computers?

What is Windows doing differently?

#29 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:00 PM

Granted I havn't looked much into Windows 8, so you could very well be correct. From what I've seen in screenshots, it looks similar to a Windows phone, but I am interested to see what they have added to bridge the gap between current tablets and computers.

Windows 8 is an operating system for both tablets and PCs. They've made it possible for a fully fledged operating system to run on a tablet. The Start screen (the tiles) is tailored for tablets, but works with both tablets and PCs.

I really don't like their Tiles idea. Small icons are more to my liking. It just seems that they're trying to squeeze too much info on to a tile. When I look at it, I don't really see what program I'm looking at. It's just writing I have to read. Does that make any sense?

The thinking behind the tiles is that small icons are just small. How often have you tried on iOS to trying to identify an app visually and then having to read the icon name under?

The tiles are big icons with big text/pictures on it, making it very easy to identify what you're looking for. (But it seems like you don't feel this way, but that was Microsoft's intent)

Posted Image

#30 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,222 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:02 PM

Windows 8 is an operating system for both tablets and PCs. They've made it possible for a fully fledged operating system to run on a tablet. The Start screen (the tiles) is tailored for tablets, but works with both tablets and PCs.

The thinking behind the tiles is that small icons are just small. How often have you tried on iOS to trying to identify an app visually and then having to read the icon name under?

The tiles are big icons with big text/pictures on it, making it very easy to identify what you're looking for. (But it seems like you don't feel this way, but that was Microsoft's intent)

What if I have 50-100 icons? I usually set my icons to tiny let alone having them involentarily made ten times bigger.

When will microsoft stop ****ing with the the ****ing interface and, oh, I don't know, make FUNCTIONAL programs!!!!!!! :frantic:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.