The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why we love to hate Luongo

Ronning4center

Just going through some old posts on Luongo and was anylizing why people seem to hate him or love him depending on how the season is going. I have a theory....

Luongo is a great goalie...I think we all agree. Though he hasnt won us a cup he's still at least in the top five goalies in the league and gives us a chance to win every night...So what is it that makes us get so upset with him? I believe its his attitude and personality. Luongo is very moody...he's up and down and its very hard for us to relate to him...I beleive it makes the average fan, who cares so much about cunucks nation, very jumpy to rely on a man they can't figure out. The fact that he plays each season away from his family who want no part of vancouver makes things worse.

Kirk Mclean is one of the most revered players in canucks history...he never won us a cup and never did we want to push him out of town. He was a great guy and great personality....you really wanted him to win for him as well as for us. The loses were loses and rarely did we blame Captain Kirk the way we get down on Lu. I know I'd feel alot better with a more stable personality between the pipes.....schneider?

I think it mostly boils down to his performance every year in the playoffs, it never matches the level he sets in the regular season.

I knew I was going to take a hit for that last line....Let me just say I know Cory Schnieder is an unproven goalie who isnt on the same level as Luongo..more of a post to see what everyone thought.

I don't hate Luongo. in fact, I think he's the best goalie in franshise history. (and I've seen 'em all)

That being said, I believe his biggest issue is a fragile confidence level. He seems to let things get to him and it quite obviously affects his play.

There is no other explanation that I can come up with to explain the difference in his play at home and away in the Cup finals. I also believe that he was convinced that he couldn't beat Chicago for a long time. He finally got it together in game seven this year.

It was one of the reasons that I felt confident of a Cup win for the Canucks going into the finals. I felt that Boston actually matched up much better against Vancouver than Tampa did, but I also thought that Lou had finally gotten that monkey off his back.

Unfortunately, the monkey seemed to return in game three when Alex Edler's stick deserted him...

Such short memories here. I seem to remember that we had an "elite" team that was only lacking a quality goalie. I don't ever remember anybody here calling the team "mediocre". Luongo was to be the final piece of the puzzle as I recall.

He had ONE great season with a good playoff and then... We made him captain and made him the highest paid goalie in NHL history whereupon he promply turned into the most inconsistent goalie of any real quality in the history of the game. This is simple: when the team only needs a single win to win the Cup and the "elite" goalie lets in the first three (easy) shots in game 6 and THEN in game seven basically repeats the feat then people have every right to criticise him harshly ESPECIALLY when he has pulled this crapola for the previous FOUR seasons and even once already during the last season (in round one versus Chicago). When the going is easy he's great, when the going gets tough he is awful. Consistently.

Such short memories here. I seem to remember that we had an "elite" team that was only lacking a quality goalie. I don't ever remember anybody here calling the team "mediocre". Luongo was to be the final piece of the puzzle as I recall.

He had ONE great season with a good playoff and then... We made him captain and made him the highest paid goalie in NHL history whereupon he promply turned into the most inconsistent goalie of any real quality in the history of the game. This is simple: when the team only needs a single win to win the Cup and the "elite" goalie lets in the first three (easy) shots in game 6 and THEN in game seven basically repeats the feat then people have every right to criticise him harshly ESPECIALLY when he has pulled this crapola for the previous FOUR seasons and even once already during the last season (in round one versus Chicago). When the going is easy he's great, when the going gets tough he is awful. Consistently.

By the way, Luongo just became much better for the money. As of this year, he is a $6.716 million dollar man. No longer a $10.000 million dollar man.

So cheer up and support the only player that can truly have an immense factor in the quest for the Cup.

I clearly remember members of this board claiming to have heart stoppage upon the Canucks' acquisition of Luongo from FLA.

So figure out how to stop hating and ask yourselves some major life questions because if there is one man who doesn't have to do so, it is Luongo.

Wow did I miss something?

I was just looking at T.T.'s stats over the playoffs and I didn't see that he scored any goals.

Now I'm not going to deny that T.T. played pretty good, quite frankly he really got hot at the right time. On the other side of the coin, the Canucks really didn't put alot of quality scoring chances his way.

I've said this before, have a look at T.T's stats over the past 6 years then come and tell me that he's a good goaly, the man didn't even have a starting job at the beginning of the season, and I'm pretty sure there wasn't a team in the league that would have given up ANY assets to aquire him.

I can almost guarantee T.T. will be a bust this year and his career stats will back that up.

Wow did I miss something?

I was just looking at T.T.'s stats over the playoffs and I didn't see that he scored any goals.

Now I'm not going to deny that T.T. played pretty good, quite frankly he really got hot at the right time. On the other side of the coin, the Canucks really didn't put alot of quality scoring chances his way.

I've said this before, have a look at T.T's stats over the past 6 years then come and tell me that he's a good goaly, the man didn't even have a starting job at the beginning of the season, and I'm pretty sure there wasn't a team in the league that would have given up ANY assets to aquire him.

I can almost guarantee T.T. will be a bust this year and his career stats will back that up.

I'm tired of talking about Luongo but you have to admit he's never stepped it up at any point in the playoffs with the exception of 2007 against Dallas and Anaheim. We beat Chicago, Nashville, and San Jose because we had the better all around team. He's never stole us a series and he will never steal us a series like most great goalies of the past have done. All he had to do was win one game out of 3 in Boston and we would had a cup. Luongo is a born loser.

What happened in past seasons and what happens in the future is irrelevant.

In the season that finished last June, Thomas had the best regular season by a goaltender in recent memory. He followed that up by shutting down the regular season's top scoring team in the Cup finals, winning the Conn Smythe in the process.

It's easy to say the Canucks didn't have many quality chances, but the fact is, they outshot the Bruins in the series, including a 37-21 edge in game seven.

I'd say you did miss something....

There's a difference between a goaltender getting hot for a series and a goaltender who's stats are consistently at, or near the top of the league on a consistent basis.

Archived