The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why we love to hate Luongo

Ronning4center

I dont hate luo. I dont think he gets up in the morning and says "hey, i wonder how i can screw over vancouver fans today"

But he has choked at ctitical times in the last few playoffs.

The year we went to the finals with captain kirk he stood on his friggin head. I watch alot of classic series and other old games on nhl network in the offseason. Ive watched highlights and games from 94 and CK is always front and center with stellar play on that 94 team. Ten or fifteen years from now if you watch last years playoffs you will see no luo highlights whatsoever. Alot of fans are looking beyond the regular season now.......after all these years .....and we want a cup. thats it. so patients are thin when in the scp we see multiple bad goals let in by our " top five goaltender"

its time luo started getting back into peoples heads instead of them getting into his. we will not be getting a cup unless he gets over whatever ails him in the playoffs

I dont hate luo. I dont think he gets up in the morning and says "hey, i wonder how i can screw over vancouver fans today"

The year we went to the finals with captain kirk he stood on his friggin head. I watch alot of classic series and other old games on nhl network in the offseason. Ive watched highlights and games from 94 and CK is always front and center with stellar play on that 94 team. Ten or fifteen years from now if you watch last years playoffs you will see no luo highlights whatsoever. Alot of fans are looking beyond the regular season now.......after all these years .....and we want a cup. thats it. so patients are thin when in the scp we see multiple bad goals let in by our " top five goaltender"

its time luo started getting back into peoples heads instead of them getting into his. we will not be getting a cup unless he gets over whatever ails him in the playoffs

Kind of cantradicting yourself, T.T has NEVER had a consistant season in his career, Luongo on the other hand has consistantly gotten better.

I'm guessing you didn't watch any of the other Boston series, T.T. was far from consistant, and quite frankly was lucky to advance past the Tampa series.

Let me ask you...out of the 37 shots in game 7 how many were considered a "scoring chance"?

His two Vezina trophies say you don't know what you're talking about.

Re, the 37 shots in game seven: I'd have to go back and watch the game, however, it seems highly unlikely that there were zero scoring chances for the 'Nucks. What I do know for sure is that there were zero goals.

BTW: The comparison that I was making was Luongo vs. Kirk McLean. You shouldn't comment on a post unless you have a basic understanding of it.

I'm tired of talking about Luongo but you have to admit he's never stepped it up at any point in the playoffs with the exception of 2007 against Dallas and Anaheim. We beat Chicago, Nashville, and San Jose because we had the better all around team. He's never stole us a series and he will never steal us a series like most great goalies of the past have done. All he had to do was win one game out of 3 in Boston and we would had a cup. Luongo is a born loser.

goalies are a different breed....terry sawchuck was one of the rarest and different personalities you could ever meet.....he had more quirks and unlikeable traits then any goalie in history.....people are too hard on roberto....let him, his personality have....i believe that his jersey will hang from the rafters one day....and he will turn the canuck's goalie graveyard into a vineyard.....

Of course it matters. I was making a comment to another poster who was comparing the relative merits of McLean and Luongo. You chimed in with a critique that suggested my comment had something to do with Tim Thomas. :huh:

I guess if being dead wrong "doesn't matter" to you, there isn't much else to say.

That may be "your point", but again, you were commenting out of context. This is the post you originally replied to:

As you can see, Ronning4center was commenting solely on this particular playoff, to which you started to question his career numbers, which was irrelavant to what was being discussed at the time.

No, I don't think you do. Case in point: the post below. Thomas has two Vezinas to his credit. Pretty amazing acheivement for someone who has "never" had a consistent season. :rolleyes:

BTW: I was playing Junior hockey before you were born, and am still playing 45 years after my first season. I know more about hockey than you ever will.

BTW: I've been painting for 30 years and I still suck at it, I'm pretty sure you probably know more about painting than I do.(Too dense to understand what I did there? Just because you've been doing something for a long time doesn't mean you're good at it, or that you know more about it than someone who's played, watched,coached,ref'd for less time than yourself.

You don't get to play Junior hockey if you're not "good" at it. Also, the quote in my sig refers to a national championship in which I was part of the team that represented BC against the rest of Canada. Another thing they don't send "not good" players to.

So, even if I do say so myself, I am "pretty good" at hockey, and I do know more that you do about it.

I think the main reason is because of the soft goals he lets in come playoff time. Yeah, many of the circumstances were what you could call and 'exception', due to strange bounces, injuries, etc.

At the same time, however, he did concede those goals. What you say probably adds to this, but I don't think many on CDC will complain about Lu's personality if he played at a .920sv % in the playoffs.

But maybe that's just me.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry but the real reason you hate Luongo is...is because you and a lot of other posters are BANDWAGONERS! Most faithfull Canuck fan will not hate Luongo unless he lets in 6 or 7 goals because if he lets in 1 or 2 clearly the forwards and defence are not doing thier job properly.

• 6 months later...

It's because guys like McLean, King Richard, Schneider, etc are mediocre goaltenders. We don't expect anything out of them but a mediocre game. They have a good game, and all of a sudden they're god. On the other hand, Luongo has the same kind of a game as those 3 mentioned, and it's considered a mediocre game for him - it is expected of him to play at that level.

Luongo is one of the elite goaltenders of this era. We expect nothing less than a Stanley Cup out of Roberto. That's why he's hated on - because he hasn't delivered yet for all the greatness we know he is capable of.

The knock on Lou is about his lack of consistancy. Some talk about the blowouts against Boston and others say he stole a couple of games. This confirms the point that he is inconsistant and thats a result of poor technical abilities. Schneider stops more pucks because his fundamentals are far superior !! Only Lou knows what goes on when hes under pressure but stats prove he falters.

This forum is about popularity and science does not factor into things. Its all emotion with little focus on the numbers.

I think Lou is gone and his fans will realize that he was not the mesiah...just an average goalie on a 1st placed team.

Archived