The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why we love to hate Luongo

Ronning4center

I don't hate Luongo at all, and I think he's a great goalie... But his meltdowns during past Chicago and Boston series have been his downfall. I think that's also one of the core reasons that people are ok with going with Schneider.

While Schneider hasn't had to face the same amount of pressure situations yet, he's shown pretty good glimpses that he can handle it.

Despite Luongo making it to game 7 in the scf, making it through a game 7 against Chicago, and holding a gold medal... I don't think anyone can really dispute Luongo is prone to having issues in big games, especially if were not playing at home.

My latest question regarding Luongo is: Um, what's up with all the Luongo-Love coming out of TO lately?

Weren't they the first mediabase to absolutely rip Luongo at every turn since he became a Canuck? (i mean, besides our own mediabase that is.)

Now they act like he's going to be their next saviour.

Seen this act before. They rip the Sedins for years, then lay out the red carpet when they look close to being available.

I have a feeling this will close with TO not getting the player they rip/covet once again. Cheers.

TOML

My latest question regarding Luongo is: Um, what's up with all the Luongo-Love coming out of TO lately?

Weren't they the first mediabase to absolutely rip Luongo at every turn since he became a Canuck? (i mean, besides our own mediabase that is.)

Now they act like he's going to be their next saviour.

Seen this act before. They rip the Sedins for years, then lay out the red carpet when they look close to being available.

I have a feeling this will close with TO not getting the player they rip/covet once again. Cheers.

TOML

Just going through some old posts on Luongo and was anylizing why people seem to hate him or love him depending on how the season is going. I have a theory....

Luongo is a great goalie...I think we all agree. Though he hasnt won us a cup he's still at least in the top five goalies in the league

Think the biggest issue I have with Lu is how good he is during the regular season, and how he is not the same goalie come pkayoff time.

Lu could very well end up near top 3 in all-time wins for regular season if he plays another 5 years at a decent rate(30 wins a year), but when it comes to playoff wins he lags far behind he leaders(under a 1/3 of Brodeur and a little over 1/5 of Roy) and will likely not hit top 15, which is made even worse because Lu has played since expansion where there are 4 rounds of playoffs instead of the 2 that were played for over 50 years.

Considering 1/2 of Lu's career was on crappy Florida and NYI teams and 1/2 with Vancouver you would think his playoff numbers would be better in the playoffs seeing how all of his playoff games are with Vancouver who had a much better team(2 Presidents trophys and averaged well over 100 pts a season for the last 6 seasons,)and that playoff scoring is generally lower scoring than regular season, but his GAA for playoffs is zero better in the playoffs than his regular season numbers, they are actually marginally worse,,,GAA .01 higher and save % .03 lower.

I think the main reason is because of the soft goals he lets in come playoff time. Yeah, many of the circumstances were what you could call and 'exception', due to strange bounces, injuries, etc.

At the same time, however, he did concede those goals. What you say probably adds to this, but I don't think many on CDC will complain about Lu's personality if he played at a .920sv % in the playoffs.

But maybe that's just me.

"Let me just say I know Cory Schnieder is an unproven goalie who isnt on the same level as Luongo"

They look pretty much the same statswise to me - except in salary and cap hit.

Luongo 2.11 GAA Sv % .928

Schneider 2.29 GAA Sv % .929, and Schneider wins a much higher % of his games played 72% for Schneider to 63% for Luongo.

Brodeur is looking great right now and Luo will have his day with the cup.\

Just don't think it will be here.

Personally,I hated it when Luo threw his team mates under the bus on occasion a few years ago.

With that said,Luo doesn't do it any more and is much more respected for it.

Now, if only Luo could give Gillis lessons we got something going.

It's because guys like McLean, King Richard, Schneider, etc are mediocre goaltenders. We don't expect anything out of them but a mediocre game. They have a good game, and all of a sudden they're god. On the other hand, Luongo has the same kind of a game as those 3 mentioned, and it's considered a mediocre game for him - it is expected of him to play at that level.

Luongo is one of the elite goaltenders of this era. We expect nothing less than a Stanley Cup out of Roberto. That's why he's hated on - because he hasn't delivered yet for all the greatness we know he is capable of.

i like roberto and i think he is a great goaltender. he will never be a popular guy to most people because he does have a bit of a quirky pesonality, patric roy was the same. what i could not stand was the blatent caracter assasination from the media in the playoffs. the sedins and roberto were under the microscope like no other players in the playoffs. sadly this fan base is doing the same thing to our three big stars.

There are so many people proclaiming that Luongo is the best goalie in the game today. This places Luongo on a pedestal above every other goalie out there and that is a hard claim to back up. Statistics show that he is 'one' of the top goalies out there but rarely do those same stats identify Luo as the 'very best of the best'.

I don't remember King Richard Brodeur having mental meltdowns in net during the playoffs as consistantly as Luo has. When Luongo lets in a weak goal, the floodgates seem to open and the team gets blown out of the rink by 5-0 scores.

Is Luongo mentally tough enough?

Is the cause of the blowouts after a weak goal a result of the rest of the team not being mentally tough enough to overcome adversity?

Maybe it is a combination of the two.

I agree with you that it is easier to be at ease with Schneider's personality because he is always calm and seems to quickly adjust after a bad goal. It doesn't mean that he is a better goalie, just one that seems to handle the rough going better.

Either way, we still have one of the top goaltending tandems in the league. The question is, can the coaching staff make adjustments to best utilize them in the most effective way?

You know, aside from that amazing playoff run, Kirk was never really much to write home about. From what I recall, people were always ragging on Kirk.

SV% .887

GAA 3.26

I don't mean any disrespect to McLean. I'm just trying to make a point in saying that your memory might not be serving you as well as you might think. McLean had as much heat on him as Luongo does now. We're a city that's always blamed the goaltender. That's just a fact.

McLean got us far closer to a Cup with a much less talented team than Luongo did. McLean's record for most saves in a playoff run was only just eclipsed this year by Tim Thomas. Luongo barely even deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence as McLean.

Archived