The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Luongo really meltdown in the playoffs?

rkoshack

I agree with this article...the problem is, people don't care about stats and facts. They look at Cup rings only. Its too bad for Luo because it just puts more pressure on the guy. If we want to win we need to support him. Period.

I've backed Luongo for a long time but he most undoubtedly DOES have meltdowns, in the playoffs and in the regular season. They are usually 3-4 games long.

Canucks didn't score a lot of goals in the games in Boston or in Game 7 but Luongo did not hold the Canucks in those games. In almost all of them Vancouver started good then Boston got the first goal, and Luongo couldn't shut the door on anything after that allowing the games to get out of hand changing the dynamic of them completely.

No, it was the entire team that got us there, not him alone and while it wasn't him singlehandedly who lost game 7 either, shoddy defense and poor production up front did that. but please! what can you tell me about the 12 goals against in games 3 and 4 and the 9 he coughed up in 6 and 7? his GAA was worst than Roloson's for crying out loud! I don't care how you slice it there's only one to point the finger at and that's your boy bobby Lou, and I know Lou's weak in the head and blah blah blah but it's not entirely his fault, right AV?

• 1 year later...

The better question is, would you have Cloutier in net or Luongo??

Luongo is the best goalie the Canucks ever had, maybe even better than Mclean. Name another goalie who has been nominated TWICE for Vezina and played in the SCF while with the Canucks. I really can't name anyone? Cloutier? Potvin? Weekes? lol!

How do you define "big games"? Pretty much any game where his team could be eliminated is what I would say is the "big games".

Dallas - game 7 - canucks win, Luongo stops 19 of 20 shots with a 94.4 sv%

Anaheim - game 5 - canucks lose, Luongo stops 56 of 58 shots with a 96.5 sv%

Chicago - game 6 - canucks lose, Luongo stops 23 of 30 shots with a 76.7 sv%

Chicago - game 5 - canucks win, Luongo stops 29 of 30 shots with a 96.7 sv%

Chicago - game 6 - canucks lose, Luongo stops 30 of 35 shots with a 85.7 sv%

Chicago - game 7 - canucks win, Luongo stops 31 of 32 shots with a 96.8 sv%

Boston - game 7 - canucks lose, Luongo stops 17 of 20 shots with a 85.0 sv%

Let's include international "big games"

1999 World Juniors

Russia - gold medal - Canada loses, Luongo stops 37 of 40 shots with a 92.5 sv%

2010 Olympics

USA - gold medal - Canada wins, Luongo stops 34 of 36 shots with a 94.4 sv%

Add them all up and you get 6 solid performances and 3 weak ones and an average of 91.7 sv% in big games

Anyone know what Luongo's career playoff save % is?....91.7%

Exactly the same as in "big games" on average

I've backed Luongo for a long time but he most undoubtedly DOES have meltdowns, in the playoffs and in the regular season. They are usually 3-4 games long.

Canucks didn't score a lot of goals in the games in Boston or in Game 7 but Luongo did not hold the Canucks in those games. In almost all of them Vancouver started good then Boston got the first goal, and Luongo couldn't shut the door on anything after that allowing the games to get out of hand changing the dynamic of them completely.

This is exactly why i get so pissed off when everyone calls for Luongos head. As far as im concerned, Luongo was the reason we didnt get SWEPT in the SCF... We couldnt score goals to save our lives, we could have lost 2-0 in game 7 and it still wouldnt have mattered because we couldnt put the puck in the back of the net.

Against LA.

Our whole attack scored 15 points in 5 games...................4 goals! scored by our attacking players. 2 of them by one player (Hank)

LET ME SPELL IT OUT

Booth scored 1 ass in 5 games

Hansen scored 1 goal in 5 games

Higgins had 0 points in 5 games

Kesler had 3 ass in 5 games

Lapierre scored 1 ass in 5 games

Malhotra had 0 points in 5 games

Raymond scored 1 ass in 5 games

D Sedin had 2 ass in 2 games

H Sedin scored 2 goals and 3 ass in 5 games

D Weise 0 pts in 2 games

Burrows scored 1 goal in 5 games.

Bitz had 0 points in 1 game

Kassian had 0 points in 4 games.

If you open your eyes and look at these stats, it's not our goalie we have to worry about in the playoffs.

We are convinced we are stacked in our offence but is this really the case?

Where I have found Lu frustrating is the number of times the Canucks score and then Lu lets in a soft one soon afterwards. I also don't like the 'belly flopping' he does, which often ends up being a goal. It isn't just Nuck fans that think he is mentally soft - check out fans of most other teams. Even the management seems to have lost faith in him. I also didn't like it when AV would leave him in goal when the other team was running up the score.

I do agree that the entire team should be taking responsibility for their SC performances (or lack of). This team needs to find a way to score beyond the regular season. There certainly is a 'soft' element amongst our forwards. I don't see a lot of 'push back' there. I think MG thought that a SC could be won by skill alone. In the past few years, we are seeing that toughness is also important factor. Not giving up, not getting knocked off the puck, not wanting someone to 'pump your tires, not being power punched by a little puke, not blaming the refs, etc.

Good article.

I always like to remind people how well Luongo would have had to have played in order for us to have beat Boston.

Game 1 - Canucks score 1 goal - Luongo must be perfect

Game 2 - Canucks have a good game and score 3 - Luongo can't let it more than 2

Game 3 - Canucks score 1 goal - Luongo must be perfect

Game 4 - Canucks are shutout - Luongo must be perfect for 60 minutes +

Game 5 - Canucks score 1 goal - Luongo must be perfect

Game 6 - Canucks score 2 goals - Luongo can't let in more than 1

Game 7 - Canucks are shutout - Luongo must be perfect for 60 minutes +

Obviously games 4 and 7 would be the hardest for Luongo to win, but luckily we only need four wins to get the cup, so lets see what numbers he would need to have led us to a cup:

In order to win games 1, 2, (either 3 or 5) and 6, Luongo could only let in 3 goals over these 4 games. So he needed to have a GAA of 0.75 in order to bring us the cup. Oddly enough, Tim Thomas did just that, 0.75 GAA in the 4 games Boston won.

So the only possible way for us to have won the cup would be for us to get Vezina quality goaltending that was far and away the best goaltending in the playoffs. Hardly sounds like our forwards and defense (awesome as they were) gave Luongo much of a chance. Anyone who wasn't Thomas would have similarly 'lost us' the series. Despite this, we still won three games, probably in large part due to Luongo's world class ability. A lesser goalie might have let us get swept.

Oh look my fellow Luongo worshiping cult members a article proving our lord is as we say he is "divine"

Oh Luongo lover brothers and sisters I bless this article with dippity doo and from this day forward include it into our sacred bible

Let us all gather in this thread for mass, please feel free to add your testimony and prove satan aka Schneider is to be cast to Hell aka the bench.

Archived