The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Luongo really meltdown in the playoffs?

rkoshack

Schneider will fare a lot worse than Luongo has under the Vancouver media, just you wait and watch. People were calling him out for having a few bad games in Europe, just wait and see what happens when he stumbles in the NHL.

This guy has played his whole 56-game-career under absolutely no pressure compared to Luongo. The most pressure he's had has been to perform well in a few spot games here and there because he was a good AHL goalie - Luongo had to carry the entire country on his back during the Olympics and then playoffs. If you think anyone else can play as well as he did through those mentally tough tournaments I'd like to see them try.

Lately, Cup-winning goalies are those with very little scrutiny and pressure on them. Thomas wasn't really expected to play well after being replaced by Rask for a year, so he turns out one of the all-time best goalie performances the following season because of such low expectations and pressure on him. Quick and the Kings were underacheivers all season, and as an 8th seed had virtually no pressure to perform well in the playoffs.

Now we have Schneider who, if he does actually replace Luongo, will not only have the pressure of playing in Vancouver but the added pressure of having to replace arguably one of the all-time top-10 goaltenders and essentially play better than he did which is going to be almost impossible. Luongo is the Canucks best goalie ever and the only way Schneider is truly accepted is if he becomes the new franchise tender, a very tough ask.

Stick with Luongo, because there is no way Schneider will be able to perform well under that intense pressure.

lol Lu is a mid-pack goalie? whatever makes you feel better. Luongo's GAA for the playoffs in 2011 was 2.56. you would think for a Vancouver team that averaged well over 3 goals a game that year that would have been no problem. Apparently not

Ok hold on a second!! You started this out by saying Lou's playoff numbers were middle of the pack, but he's not a mid pack goalie? My heads starting to hurt.

My point is this if he playes like a mid pack goalie in the playoffs then he is a mid pack goalie. I could give a flying **** *** what he puts up in the reg season we (Vancouver) want a cup. Playing at mid pack #'s will not cut it.

If we payed him less and could sign another good top six player to "help him out" we may be able to win with him. Go ahead call him up and ask him to stay in Vancouver and take a 3mil pay cut so we can have more scoring to compensate for his meltdowns. Let me know how it works out.

lol Lu is a mid-pack goalie? whatever makes you feel better. Luongo's GAA for the playoffs in 2011 was 2.56. you would think for a Vancouver team that averaged well over 3 goals a game that year that would have been no problem. Apparently not

So if a goalie has mid pack stats for one year that automatically makes him a midpack goalie? lol not sure if srs. Midpack goalies aren't on pace to be 2nd all time in wins, mid pack goalies don't have better career GAA and save % than Patrick Roy

Is Brodeur a midpack goalie? Cause 2 of the past 4 years in the playoffs he's had a GAA higher than 3.

And Niemi's "mid pack" numbers (which were higher than Luongo's) cut it for Chicago, so what was our problem?

Here's the difference that haters will never admit:

In big games, Luongo will not automatically melt down, he will have amazing performances and also terrible ones. This fluctuation tends to happen with the most frequency during big games. Now, while it is true that this makes us question Luongo's ability to perform in big games, it also makes sensible people question the defense and offense's ability to perform in said games as well. There is only so much that a goalie can do if his defense are standing around and his forwards not scoring or helping out (our forwards are known to be often defensively solid).

Also, One thing that should be remembered is that while Luongo has both great outings and some stinkers, the Canucks offense is almost always dismal. Our gpg drops by at least 1 gpg every playoffs. This means that to compensate, Luongo must allow 2 less goals every game to win. Don't you think that kind of pressure is unwarranted and unfair?

It doesn't always go one way. Sure, Luongo may let in a softie and the team gets deflated, well, Luongo also knows that the team won't win him the game in the playoffs EVER, so he knows that he must pull off a miracle 4 times a playoff round to advance.

Our offense turns into 06-07 Canucks come April. How is any goalie supposed to make a difference?

still i wouldn't EXPECT the goalie on my team to keep a sub 2.00GAA over the course of the playoffs, if he does it then great but to expect that is not that realistic.

you shouldn't need him to either your team should be able to score more than 2 goals a game come playoff time

what is philly going to do with Bryz for this season?

try to loan him to a KHL team?

waive and hope for someone to pick him up or bury in the minors?

the compliance buyouts cant be used for this season. i think they will at least give Bryz another year given the big contract they gave him.

still i wouldn't EXPECT the goalie on my team to keep a sub 2.00GAA over the course of the playoffs, if he does it then great but to expect that is not that realistic.

you shouldn't need him to either your team should be able to score more than 2 goals a game come playoff time

I'm with you, I would not "expect" our goals under 2.00, but I would expect our goalie to keep us in games we needed to win. And that's the thing when he is on his game his numbers are around 2.00 but when he's off lookout!!! Cory may not play as well as the "on" Lou but better then the "off" Lou. That a trade ill take, the boys just need to know what they need to do to win then the loss is on them. Meltdowns are another story, how can a team prep for that.

They have 70mil of cap room to fit Bryz in because of the lockout this year, and Bryz can be bought out in June, so he wouldn't count against their cap starting next season.

Basically they have room this year for both and they're not on the hook for Bryz next season, so they can do it.

It's not that Luongo's bad, it's that all the dope smoke in the air affects peoples' memory here, they don't remember that we've run every goalie out of town that's ever played for this franchise, good, bad, or mediocre. Doesn't matter that Lu is by far the best goalie we've ever had, by far the most successful in the playoffs, by far, by far. Forget all that, the new kid's got potential so let's run him outta town! Get the catapult, people!

Archived