The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Luongo really meltdown in the playoffs?

rkoshack

YOU AND YOUR GIRLS. GIVE IT A REST. The Canucks are as good as they are because Luongo is in net and you fundamentally know it. But your spite more then blinds you. I hope you're ready to say farewell to an Era ending. Schneider will just be yet another goaltender who is run out of town, much faster than Luongo has been run out of town. This team is dead.

YOU AND YOUR GIRLS. GIVE IT A REST. The Canucks are as good as they are because Luongo is in net and you fundamentally know it. But your spite more then blinds you. I hope you're ready to say farewell to an Era ending. Schneider will just be yet another goaltender who is run out of town, much faster than Luongo has been run out of town. This team is dead.

I believe the biggest fault was the defence. You can't blame Luongo in the SCF at all - the guy somehow posted 2 shutouts and was IMO the only reason we lasted 7 games. Without Lu Boston would have finished us in 5. Don't forget, our team ranked 3rd last for goals-for per game in the playoffs, including all the horrible teams swept in the 1st round.

Lets look at the injuries we had on defence. Hamhuis gone in the 1st game. Rome suspended. Edler broke his hand (so basically can't shoot, can't defend and can't hit - useless). We had to play a rookie Tanev and Ballard, a guy who may be good but was rusty as hell.

When you take out the top half of your D-core (minutes-wise they were 3 of our top-4) no goalie has a chance. That would be the equivalent of Boston losing Seidenberg, Kaberle and Chara breaking his hand. With the lack of depth they have after their 6th man, we would have destroyed Thomas had that have happened.

Roberto is the only reason we didn't get swept in the finals.

Those are some very interesting stats and I hadn't thought about it before... when the canucks lose they lose big in the playoffs. End of the day it doesn't matter if u lose by one goal or by five. Like we saw in the hawks series: we got out scored and won the series. The deciding factor in the series was the goaltending.

Luongo came into his own in 2009-2010. He was very shaky in the playoffs prior to those years... the paSt two year luongo has been clutch. I wouldn't take any other goalie over him... he stands on his head when it matters.

This is the way it was - what is so hard to understand about this? I'm talking to all the Luongo haters out there who say he chokes all the time. Any goalie would have been lit up with that decimated defence corps.

Unless the return for Luongo is Astronomical, we Canuck fans will RUE the day the fairweather fans drove him out of town.

It boggles the mind... but its because most hockey fans don't use logic and facts and they throw all those out the window and let their emotions take over. I hope for the best no matter what Canuck's management does, but I really believe if you are not going into a rebuild right away we should stick with Luongo and get that astronomical return for Schneider.

Personally I don't see the urgent rush to get rid of either and I don't think its such a bad thing being super stacked in the most important position in hockey. Wait at least till closer to the trade deadline to maximize return. Philly would cough up a lot if they felt they were a great goalie away from a cup, or what about TO if they are in 7 or 8th and their goaltenders are faltering at that time?

Luongo was a huge part of why this franchise is where it is, why they were 1 game away from a cup. Luongo has a Stanley cup in him and I really hope it is with the Canucks.

The thing is Luongo have brilliant games and he has less brilliant games, but that's the thing, to be the best goalie you have to be more consistent. Luongos top form is great but is lowest point is low and shows up to often. Well when i was playing you had to play good to give the team confidence, if I wasn't playing great my defence would struggle. So if you let in like one or two easy goals, the players in front of you get nervous because they don't trust you. Luongo is a great goaltender, but not consistent enough!

I completely agree... this team needs to win now. Let them play out... there is ZERO chance that Luongos value drops any lower than it is. They'll both play well and whichever ACTUALLY earns the starting job can stay. The other can go at the deadline. Schneider played three playoff games and he won the job based on that?? Complete blasphemy

That doesn't really apply. "Meltdown" infers he's doing fine, but suddenly crumbles.

And that is exactly what Lu has done since his 2nd year here. He performs at an allstar level, and then suddenly has multiple games of poor play when it matters most. What he is left with is above-average stats career/season-wise, but the discrepencies are clear if you examine game-to-game stats.

Archived