The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Republican 2012 Presidential Nominee

The Situation

2012 Presidential Election  

167 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ron Paul is the most ultra-conservative candidate running. He doesn't believe in spending on anything at all. We've tried the trickle-down system and we know it doesn't work. Also, Paul is one of the most egregious climate change deniers, and he represents voters on the Gulf Coast, for God's sakes, and he should've seen the effects first hand, as that's one of the most environmentally sensitive. He's a doctor, and demonstrably intelligent, which means he has to either be also profoundly dishonest or batcrap insane when it comes to ignoring the clear science on this and on other issues.

I agree with Ron Paul's aversion to war, but he's also a downright xenophobe too. Wasn't he one of the big proponents of the border fence? Heck even Rick Perry seems measured on that issue compared to Paul.

All of these "small government" over anything else types are a little kooky. It's not that I think government should be massive and bloated, but there are some things, like education, environmental oversight, health care etc, that are not efficiently handled at the "state level" as these people all seem to think. The federal government does serve a function, and years of letting the free market dictate certain issues has not made them work properly. Now, if he was out campaigning hard on eliminating all business influence on the government, such as by crippling lobbies etc, then it'd be easier to support him. He's not as much in bed with the finance industry as some of the other GOP guys so I'll give him that.

Ron Paul is the most ultra-conservative candidate running. He doesn't believe in spending on anything at all. We've tried the trickle-down system and we know it doesn't work. Also, Paul is one of the most egregious climate change deniers, and he represents voters on the Gulf Coast, for God's sakes, and he should've seen the effects first hand, as that's one of the most environmentally sensitive. He's a doctor, and demonstrably intelligent, which means he has to either be also profoundly dishonest or batcrap insane when it comes to ignoring the clear science on this and on other issues.

I agree with Ron Paul's aversion to war, but he's also a downright xenophobe too. Wasn't he one of the big proponents of the border fence? Heck even Rick Perry seems measured on that issue compared to Paul.

All of these "small government" over anything else types are a little kooky. It's not that I think government should be massive and bloated, but there are some things, like education, environmental oversight, health care etc, that are not efficiently handled at the "state level" as these people all seem to think. The federal government does serve a function, and years of letting the free market dictate certain issues has not made them work properly. Now, if he was out campaigning hard on eliminating all business influence on the government, such as by crippling lobbies etc, then it'd be easier to support him. He's not as much in bed with the finance industry as some of the other GOP guys so I'll give him that.

Trickle down is a general term to describe the ridiculous and misguided notion that economic wealth at the top benefits the bottom. Slashing taxes and social programs is a common tactic. It's a failed mantra, but it's at the core of Ron Paul's fiscal beliefs.

Remember the "Secure Fence Act"? See who voted for it here http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/109/house/2/votes/446/

That was an act to spend billions of dollars on fencing to keep the Mexicans out. Ron Paul was in favour.

Xenophobia, definition: "Intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries"

I'd say someone who thinks they need an electric fence to guard against the evil conniving Mexicans can qualify as a xenophobe. He's talked tough on immigrants of all stripes for years.

I agree, he could do better on civil rights but of the candidates for the GOP, he is the only one against government racially profiling people. I think the worst discriminator in the USA is the government itself especially with the Wars on Terror and Drugs which seem to target minorities.

Although he said he would have voted against the Civil Rights Act, I haven't seen anywhere where he said would repeal it.

That video makes me laugh so hard everytime. The nice music, the casual look on his face with Perry walking into the shot. And then he softly adds in "liberal attacks," "war on religion," etc.

If any of these republicans get voted as president (Ron Paul being the exception), the U.S is truly ****ed.

You both should look at his economic platform and figure out exactly why I'm asserting that under him, racial discrimination would flourish.

It's his fundamental views on how business would operate under a Ron Paul administration. It would take the country back into the Jim Crow Era.

Trickle down is a general term to describe the ridiculous and misguided notion that economic wealth at the top benefits the bottom. Slashing taxes and social programs is a common tactic. It's a failed mantra, but it's at the core of Ron Paul's fiscal beliefs.

Remember the "Secure Fence Act"? See who voted for it here http://projects.wash...se/2/votes/446/

That was an act to spend billions of dollars on fencing to keep the Mexicans out. Ron Paul was in favour.

Xenophobia, definition: "Intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries"

I'd say someone who thinks they need an electric fence to guard against the evil conniving Mexicans can qualify as a xenophobe. He's talked tough on immigrants of all stripes for years.

Remember the "Secure Fence Act"? See who voted for it here http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/109/house/2/votes/446/

Archived